“A proper atmospheric pub with excellent food!”
Review of The Star Inn

The Star Inn
Ranked #76 of 268 Restaurants in Loughborough
Cuisines: Contemporary, British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: A traditional British pub restaurant with an up to date look. Fantastic real fires in The Winter and a large scenic beer garden for when the sun shines
Reviewed January 4, 2014

I visited The Star after moving to the local area and being recommended by friends, and what can I say apart from it is an hidden gem amongst a lovely countryside setting. It is a proper pub which serves a selection of real ales and good choice of bottled ciders including a locally pressed real cider. The bar and restaurant has so much character with low ceilings, original beams and two log burning fires. What's nice is that it is cosy and intimate, not like large chains of pubs and restaurants where many tables are crammed into a noisy footprint. Now onto the food...it is rare and unheard of nowadays to find a good pub which serves fresh, homemade dishes all prepared on the premises. The Star breaks away from this modern tradition, I was amazed to discover that absolute everything on the menu is made within the pubs own kitchen, including the Deserts! I had the turkey dinner seeing as we were in the festive period and all I can say is WOW...they say it's rare to find a meal cooked as good as your mothers, but I hate to say it this was better (sorry mum!) The turkey was perfectly cooked, and the freshly prepared veg along with all the trimmings was gorgeous. I was even treated to an extra portion of pigs in blankets! For dessert I had rice pudding which was deliciously creamy, and along with the homemade shortbread made this dessert truly exquisite! All in all I would rate my experience at The Star remarkable and look forward to being welcomed to the pub for many more visits to come!

Reviewed January 3, 2014

Expected better for the price £25 per head. Took my husband out for a birthday meal on the 27th December. We chose the turkey (as it's christmas), all the vegetables were shrivelled and dried up as if we were eating reheated Christmas Day food. This dinner was certainly not fresh. The bar was nice and cosy, then the restaurant let us down as it was so tiny with only four tables. No atmosphere as it's so small. Don't think well return

Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

We attended the star for lunch on New Year's Eve and the food was incredible with plenty of choice and cooked to perfection. We then later on attended the New Years party which again was amazing! The staff went above and beyond to help and make our evening enjoyable! The entertainment was fantastic and the marquee was brilliant! We would highly recommend this pub for food and fantastic evenings and hope to attend again very soon!

Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

We chose The Star as it had good reviews. The pub seems very cosy with roaring fires. But,because I booked, we were put in s more soulless space near the kitchen. The table looked very inviting, with tap water provided. The staff were very friendly. I don't want to dissect each part of the meal. It was a mixed experience. I do recommend the fish starter platter and the turkey main. Everything else was undersized and overpriced. I enjoyed my beetroot risotto but asked if they had given me a starter by mistake! The whole meal was overshadowed by my husband's comedy paella. I say comedy because it was the sort of ludicrous, harsh heat that makes steam come out of your ears. We have Spanish friends and have eaten lots of paellas. We also eat hot food. We were told that that is how it is supposed to taste! I was so dismayed. The billing was a bit awry aswell but by that time we felt like unwanted guests. Um...guess I did dissect the experience afterall. It has given me renewed confidence in my own cooking. Next time grandma wants to treat us to a meal out I'll take her money and run...to Waitrose!

Reviewed December 4, 2013

We recently had a delightful lunch at the Star. The food was cooked perfectly and the service was friendly, prompt but not obtrusive. The ambiance is very welcoming and the beer is very well kept.

A gem in the country side. We will be going again when ever we visit our daughter at Uni nearby!