“Nice clean accommodation, friendly proprietors”

Caravelli with Rooms
Ranked #6 of 22 Loughborough B&B and Inns
Scarborough, yorkshire
“Nice clean accommodation, friendly proprietors”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

Stayed last night in the Desperser double room for £70 B&B. The room nice and clean, quirky with exposed beams and overlooking the church. Nice to be awakened by church bells - very relaxing.

Small car park to rear for residents, slightly tricky to exit need guidance due to other guests and wheelie bins.

Bed comfy, good nights sleep - didn't rate Loughborough as a place to visit although "if in area " nice accomm and proprietors very welcoming and friendly.

Only thing I would add is some bottled water in room - maybe a personal thing, however the majority if places we've stayed offer this.

Breakfast served in restaurant below. We ate in the restaurant the night of our stay - chianti very nice,

• Stayed May 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
aberdeen uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

We were looking for DB&B in the Loughborough area and found this restaurant with rooms which sounded attractive. It more than lived up to our expectations. It is a very old building, but beautifully restored with attractive spotless rooms. Our room overlooked the old parish church and its grounds and had the feel of a quiet English village (not like the rest of Loughborough) The staff were very pleasant and helpful and the Italian Restaurant served genuine and delicious Italian food with an excellent house wine. The room, meal and wine were all exceptionally good value for the high quality. Our room had quite a small en suite, but was perfectly adequate and very clean.

Room Tip: "Despenser" was very attractive and had good views to the front. It was the smallest and...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Kent, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

I stayed here on business, I did have a little trouble finding the very small car park on the one-way system, but when I rang I was given helpful instructions and told someone would meet me.
The car park is very tight, 3 cars only, then you would be blocking someone in. The staff were very helpful and offered to move their car for me to park up for the night.
My bags were carried to the room, I stayed in the Despencer room. The room was immaculate, clean, well presented and warm. The only down-side to the room was that it was next to the restaurant guests' toilets, so a bit noisy. The shower took a few minutes to warm up but the bathrooms were nice and clean with complementary toiletries.
The bed was nice and comfortable, although if you are looking for an early night and a quite room, the restaurant is open till 10pm so you do get some noise from downstairs and people leaving. After that, it was lovely and quiet.
I ate in the restaurant which was very popular for a week night. The service was very good the food was at a very reasonable price. Had I of checked the 'scores on the doors' first, I would not have booked, so I would like to see a 5 at their next inspection as I think this would deter people from booking.
Breakfast was simple but fresh and the service very good.
A parking sign and reception sign would help guests find their way.

Room Tip: The Despenser room is next to the restaurant guests' toilets.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
L and A West Yorkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

Spent one night here 27th February. Lovely bedroom - comfortable and well equipped. Enjoyed our walk round Loughborough and then ate in the restaurant at night. The food was good and we enjoyed our evening. Would recommend both the B & B and the restaurant.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Loughborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

What an absolute Gem! I don't really want to tell anyone about this but I can't help myself. I stayed in the Despenser room on the 28th Feb 2013 (night before my Wedding) and in the Beaumont room on the 1st March 2013 (with my Wife on our Wedding night). A beautiful, stunning place. Both rooms are lovely but the Beaumont was something else, a wonderful 4 Post bed in a 500 year old room. Large feature fire place, roll top bath to soak away the Champagne.....perfect. I hope we can visit again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

We were only staying for one night as attending a birthday party close by. The staff and service were great, nothing too much trouble and it felt like a family run business. The rooms were spacious and comfortable with a big bathroom and nice layout. We ate at the restaurant and can recommend this also as food was great and very reasonable price wise. All in all very good and next time we are in Loughborough this is where we will be staying.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

We booked the Beaufort room at the Caravelli at £90 a night on the basis of the gorgeous looking roll top bath in the en-suite that the description and pictures advertised. The main photo shows a large, elegant bath in front of the large wooden door out of the bathroom- or so it appears.
Upon checking in and being shown into the room I was shocked to see that the bath is right there in the room, the main room, opposite the bed- with a decorative screen in front of it that is purely for effect and totally see-through. The door in the background in the picture, that looks like the door out of the bathroom, is in reality, a door IN to the toilet, which, fortunately, is kept private, despite the bath's presence in the room.
I was pretty taken aback and said "the bath's in the room!" to the proprietor, who asked if this was a problem. To me, it definitely was- there are some things that are better done without an audience, however close you might be, and in my opinion, washing your butt and shaving your armpits are among them.

The proprietor promptly moved us to another room that was fortunately vacant, so quickly that I have to wonder if this is a regular occurrence there. There are only four rooms in the hotel and two of them are slightly cheaper/ smaller (as I am given to understand) than the room we had booked. The second room that we were given that was supposed to be of the same higher standard as the room we booked, but did not have a bath in it at all (which was one of the main reasons for our booking the hotel) but instead, a very small en-suite with a shower- fortunately behind closed doors this time- albeit the sink was in the main room.
The bathroom was described as a spacious en-suite, and I beg to differ here- the sink didn't even fit into it! The shower was very small, with a non-direct-able head, and the bathroom generally presented in the style of bathrooms done on the cheap for buy-to-let landlords.

This was totally out of character with the rest of the room itself, which was beautifully decorated and very nice. Both the bathroom and the bedroom were impeccably clean.

The service we received in general was of a consistently high standard throughout- the room itself, very nice apart from the bathroom and bath issue, although the shaver charger was not working. Also maybe worth mentioning is that the room overlooks a church that rings their bells loudly for half an hour or more on Sunday mornings, as I found out unhappily while I had a slight hangover.
Breakfast was included in the room rate, but we didn't partake on either morning of our stay. We did have a meal in the restaurant on the second night though, which was excellent, so I am sure the breakfast would have been lovely too.

Overall we had a nice stay, but I am disappointed enough about the bathroom problems for the money we paid to think that our visit warrants a relatively mediocre review. I think the Caravelli is rather overpriced given the going rate for similar standard rooms in the town, and the unusual detraction of having the bath in the bedroom in the first room, and no bath at all and an underwhelming en-suite in the second room, was disappointing.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the Beauchief Room if you like to perform your ablutions in private; Beware the ve...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple