“Nice, but ultimately rather overpriced for a room with the bath in the bedroom!”

Caravelli with Rooms
Ranked #7 of 20 Loughborough B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We booked the Beaufort room at the Caravelli at £90 a night on the basis of the gorgeous looking roll top bath in the en-suite that the description and pictures advertised. The main photo shows a large, elegant bath in front of the large wooden door out of the bathroom- or so it appears.
Upon checking in and being shown into the room I was shocked to see that the bath is right there in the room, the main room, opposite the bed- with a decorative screen in front of it that is purely for effect and totally see-through. The door in the background in the picture, that looks like the door out of the bathroom, is in reality, a door IN to the toilet, which, fortunately, is kept private, despite the bath's presence in the room.
I was pretty taken aback and said "the bath's in the room!" to the proprietor, who asked if this was a problem. To me, it definitely was- there are some things that are better done without an audience, however close you might be, and in my opinion, washing your butt and shaving your armpits are among them.

The proprietor promptly moved us to another room that was fortunately vacant, so quickly that I have to wonder if this is a regular occurrence there. There are only four rooms in the hotel and two of them are slightly cheaper/ smaller (as I am given to understand) than the room we had booked. The second room that we were given that was supposed to be of the same higher standard as the room we booked, but did not have a bath in it at all (which was one of the main reasons for our booking the hotel) but instead, a very small en-suite with a shower- fortunately behind closed doors this time- albeit the sink was in the main room.
The bathroom was described as a spacious en-suite, and I beg to differ here- the sink didn't even fit into it! The shower was very small, with a non-direct-able head, and the bathroom generally presented in the style of bathrooms done on the cheap for buy-to-let landlords.

This was totally out of character with the rest of the room itself, which was beautifully decorated and very nice. Both the bathroom and the bedroom were impeccably clean.

The service we received in general was of a consistently high standard throughout- the room itself, very nice apart from the bathroom and bath issue, although the shaver charger was not working. Also maybe worth mentioning is that the room overlooks a church that rings their bells loudly for half an hour or more on Sunday mornings, as I found out unhappily while I had a slight hangover.
Breakfast was included in the room rate, but we didn't partake on either morning of our stay. We did have a meal in the restaurant on the second night though, which was excellent, so I am sure the breakfast would have been lovely too.

Overall we had a nice stay, but I am disappointed enough about the bathroom problems for the money we paid to think that our visit warrants a relatively mediocre review. I think the Caravelli is rather overpriced given the going rate for similar standard rooms in the town, and the unusual detraction of having the bath in the bedroom in the first room, and no bath at all and an underwhelming en-suite in the second room, was disappointing.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the Beauchief Room if you like to perform your ablutions in private; Beware the ve...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Newmarket, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 5, 2012

my wife and i and our 7 month old baby stayed recently in preparation for driving experience at prestwold the next day. had a lovely welcome on our arrival and was shown to what was the nicest hotel room we have ever stayed at in this country. loads of room and lots of character. had excellent breakfast and was all too soon on our way. would loved to have stayed longer. wont hesitate to stay again if in the area.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 9, 2012

I came across this place a year or two ago whilst searching for an alternative place to stay on business in Loughborough to the usual hotel chains. What a stroke of luck! It's lovely, I've stayed here several times now, in various rooms, and every time it's been a pleasurable experience. The owners and staff are very friendly and helpful, the rooms are all really nice, the breakfasts are good, and whenever I've eaten in the restaurant in the evenings the food and service have been second to none. I've recommended it to friends and colleagues in the past, and wouldn't hesitate to advise anyone to give it a try.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Berkshire
Reviewed November 7, 2012

I was told I was booked into a room above an Italien restaurant, I trusted my host but I was slightly concerned. No need to be the room was fantastic, spacious, well furnished and with charachter. And an excellent restaurant down below.
STEVE

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 8, 2012

The rooms were an excellent find after a morning at Prestwold and a drive in a Ferrari. We had 2 rooms booked and they both had there own charm, we were in the one with a roll topped bath, the first time I have watched TV in the bath! The rooms were very clean and comfortable and came with the little extras of toiletries and tea/coffee. We ate in the restaurant at night and had one of the best meals we have had for a while and great value. The breakfast the following morning was well worth it, we were even asked what time we would like it served, so we settled on 9am. A great stay all round, worth a visit.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
skichick09
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We were in the area for a wedding at Prestwold Hall and this seemed to be the best option for accommodation nearby. We chose well. A lovely comfortable room with ensuite shower and attractive furnishings. It was absolutely spotless and the toiletries in the bathroom were lovely too!

The receptionist was brilliant! She realised we were in a rush due to traffic problems en route so helped us with a speedy check-in so we could get ready for the wedding. We were about 10 minutes from the venue which was perfect. There is not much accommodation in the surrounding areas so we were pleased with our choice.

Do not be put off by the area, the Caravelli is on a better road than the surrounding ones and opposite the church, but the parking is tricky to find and is before you reach it - it is a one way system, so you may need to go round again to find the entrance.

Rate includes full English Breakfast - be warned this only runs until 9 am and check out is 10 am - even on a Sunday. So try and get up early to take advantage of this. We found the breakfast a little greasy, but still managed to eat it.

The restaurant menu looked great, but no chance to try it as it was a whistlestop trip!

Definitely recommend for the area and visiting Prestwold.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Found this hotel on a search for hotels in Loughborough area,when I was planning a visit to Loughborough Uni open day with my daughter. I was also pleasantly surprised to find it was an Italian restaurant too!
On arrival (having driven round the one way system a few times as there is no car park sign for hotel) we finally pulled into small car park and there to greet us was the owner Bruno. He apologised for the lack of a sign but said hopefully this was in hand and is hoping to have permission to place one soon!!
My first impression of the room was wow what a great choice to stay here! it was spotlessly clean and fresh, sunlight streaming in through the windows, flat screen tv, tea and coffee facilities, and fresh smelling clean bathroom...lovely!
We ate in the restaurant in the evening the food was delicious and reasonably priced, the staff were very attentive and the atmosphere lively.
I cannot recommend this little gem of a hotel highly enough. We had a really wonderful stay.
Thank you Caravelli and Bruno my first visit to Loughborough is one I will remember, and if the uni gets the thumbs up we will definitely be returning!

• Stayed September 2012