“Hmmmmm it's alright :/”

Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Went here with friends 4x 30 yr olds . We are Defo not food snobs just love good grub :) well the starters king prawn; bloody smallest portion ever, tapas; what a joke it's literally 8 pieces of warm floppy cheese, raw bacon n couple olives!! I've been Portugal many many times and this does not ring true!!! Mains pork and clams; tough pork, tiny clams all floating in salty juice with a million potatoes!!! Steak and mushrooms in cream sauce; a tough small gristly steak with double cream poured all over it and cold greasy chips :( pudding a scabby nackered slice of cake from asda :( god knows how they've been allowed to cook n serve food to the public .

1  Thank heidi w

Reviewed September 25, 2012

Got the deal through Groupon and we actually got dressed up to go here,should have just gone in my gardening jeans.
Anyway,we both chose the prawns as a starter at a supplement of £3 each,and three prawns arrived swimming in oil,Luke warm oil.Now I've had lovely garlic prawns before and ordered the genuine Portuguese bread(supplement of £2)to go with it,but as it was so cold it just didn't do it,and the Asda bread was stale too.
My main course arrived ten minutes after my wifes which was nice(pork and chorizo).I had chosen cod in onion sauce as it sounded different(think of cod in parsley and you'll get what I was thinking of).How wrong can you be.I got battered fish with a heap of fried onions on top swimming in olive oil.I then had to scrape all the soggy batter off because some bright spark had left all the bones in........I left it.
I complained to the manager who said this was the authentic Portuguese way of cooking cod in onion sauce.
Pudding was a choice of three items......chocolate cheesecake,strawberry cheesecake,or chocolate cake.We chose a cheesecake each.........they had been bought from ASDA.I know because I buy them myself at £1 each!!!!!.No cream or ice cream to tart them up a bit,and I reckon we must have received ten pence worth each........not good.
The port was just over a thimbleful,and mine came in a huge brandy glass as they had ran out of port glasses,and the coffee was actually the star of the show.
And then the Karaoke started!!!!!!!!!

As this is primarily a pub they have live groups on and Karaoke every Saturday night at 10,so any ambiance there was immediately destroyed by this rather large lady belting out "I will survive".

We left........in a hurry.

Now I'm not a food snob,and I was so looking forward to this night but virtually EVERY part of this night was SO wrong,from the crappy expensive wine to the shop bought puddings and the supplements so that a relatively cheap deal cost me over £40 for a sub standard experience.Im sorry,I just cannot recommend this place at all.

2  Thank Simon R
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Four of us visited this restaurant using a Groupon voucher. This was our first visit and were pleasantly surprised. The owner was nice and friendly advising us about what was good on the menu. As we all had different starters and mains, we tried a good selection across the menu. All the food was nicely presented, good and with sensible portion sizes (the Portuguese Sandwich huge!) and to us seemed authentic. Overall a really pleasant meal, happy to reccommend as I'm sure we will return.

1  Thank Jimbob_not_Walton
Reviewed September 13, 2012

just got back from another great night at porto gomez.this is our 3rd time and it was just as good if not better than the others.cannot understand some of the comments made by other people.we think the food is fantastic and helder and his staff are so polite and friendly.the homemade soup was really tasty,the sardines were as good as usual and the prawns were fantastic.the piri piri chicken is so tasty and the sea bass is well worth a try.how anyone can say the chips are not home cooked is crazy,they are wonderful.and fish with heads,i have not seen many without.this is a great friendly place to eat and would certainly reccomend it.thanks to helder and his staff for another great evening.

1  Thank madmac123
Reviewed September 10, 2012

The four of us went with a Living Social voucher. Just like being in Portugal, home cooked food and
very friendly staff. We'll be back!