“Superb Sunday lunch”

Ranked #2 of 268 Restaurants in Loughborough
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Visited with my family for Sunday lunch, so the menu was fairly short but with appealing and interesting choices. My starter of Cullen Skink was magnificent, a silky pistachio green leek and potato soup with perfectly cooked flakes of smoked haddock, the flavour of which had infused the soup. Served with excellent home made bread. All the food was of a similarly high standard. The roast meats were moist and perfectly cooked despite us eating relatively late, including my roast pork which is so often dissappointingly dry and tough. The kid's portion of the roast dinner was extremely generous, the chicken breast cooked to succulent perfection. The accompanying vegetables were again all perfectly cooked, the only thing that could have improved it from my point of view would have been some buttery mashed swede or something along those lines. The Yorkshire puddings were amazing - properly huge, crisp and flavoursome, although they nearly defeated even us! I thought I could make Yorkshires, but now feel I have to up my game! This is cooking of a very high standard both in terms of flavour and presentation, but portions are very generous and the value is exceptional given the quality of produce used. I would like to come back and try the wider menu. Staff were friendly and polite, perhaps the service could have been quicker and more attentive at times, but this is a very minor gripe. In terms of atmosphere, it is very much a smart modern restaurant rather than a cosy pub, despite the beams, but there was a pleasant buzz in the place until it got quieter towards the end of service. Overall an excellent eating place close to Loughborough and not far from the A46, so easy to get to from Leicester or Nottingham.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

Went last night and had the grazing menu. Excellent food, each course explained to us as it was served.
We had very attentive servers who balanced the formal and informal to make a very pleasant evening for myself and my friend.

You must try this venue, you will not be disappointed.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

After visiting in September we made the decision to treat my sister and her boyfriend to the grazing menu dinner in January, the 12th to be precise. Thankfully, and expectedly, the food was once again excellent. This was the first time they had experienced a grazing menu and none of the 4 of us were disappointed! Risotto once again smooth, creamy and with a bit of bite. I had the accompanying wines and I still have an issue with the lack of detail that supports the wine choices. They were perfectly matched but I am still none the wiser as to why they were chosen, and to what grape variety they belong. The card was on the table was there, but give us more.

The Stilton course last time was not my favourite, but this time, the variation on a cream team theme hit the spot. Also personal choice but I preferred my dessert last time. The chocolate and cherry didn't quite smash each other up! The richness of the torte overpowered all other elements of the dish in my opinion.

I was concerned that the owners were on holiday during our visit but we had no need to be as both front of house and the kitchen staff delivered perfectly, a credit to you and your team.

Keep up the good work and I have no doubt you will be joining The Olive Branch in Clipsham to get Leicestershire's second deserved star.

1  Thank CharlotteEM
Reviewed January 14, 2013 via mobile

Visited this restaurant with friends for Sunday lunch, we all had the three course deal at £20. I had the beef which was cooked perfectly as were the vegetables and the massive Yorkshire pudding! Cannot recommend this place highly enough. Staff were friendly and welcoming, nice dining room and great food, what else do you need.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

Food is very good and attractively presented but I find that the staff hover once your meal is finished. Layout is not conducive to a relaxing meal.

hammerpincers, Owner at Hammer and Pincers, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2013

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on our restaurant.

We always use this review site to improve standards, and i shall do the best i can with your review.

Thank you for your positive feedback regarding the food, i have passed your comments on to the kitchen.

I will be speaking to all our front of house staff later in the week, at this point we will be reviewing our end of meal practices, we should never as you said "hover" at any point, and in equal measure we should not leave the guest feeling abandoned.

With regards to the layout of the restaurant, i personally feel that it could not be any more relaxing, we have three separate dining areas, so even if you are the last person in the restaurant, you still don't feel like you are in an empty room, i'm not sure what else to say about the layout not being conductive to a relaxing meal.

Many thanks Danny Jimminson