“Great restaurant ”

The Old Bull's Head
Ranked #13 of 267 Restaurants in Loughborough
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Bar scene, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Nestled in Woodhouse Eaves, a pretty English village on the side of Beacon Hill, we are the perfect place to escape the hustle and bustle of everyday life. Our traditional pub building has been stylishly refurbished making it the ideal place to find a cosy corner and take time out whilst enjoying some of our Chefs seasonal dishes and our great selection of wines, ales and lagers. Inside you will find roaring log fires, comfy armchairs to while away the afternoon and an open bar with a unique dining room. So, whether it be a special celebration, a mid week treat, or an impromptu dinner we are happy to help you arrange the perfect occasion.
Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

Been to this restaurant many times and never been disappointed. The staff are really friendly and helpful. The food is amazing with varied choice. Would highly recommend it.

Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

After a bracing walk on nearby Bradgate Park we had worked up an appetite for some lunch. Decided on The Old Bulls Head because it is one of only a few places in the area that serve food all day.

We were seated quickly and discovered there was a fixed price menu within the main one. Anything marked with a 'FP' was included and there was a choice of 2 courses for £11.95 or 3 courses for £14.95
We asked if we could order 2 courses and see if we had room for a third at the end and this was not a problem.
We both chose salt and pepper squid with aioli dip to start. My partner has a slight allergy to black pepper and when we asked if hers could possibly be prepared without, this was done without fuss.
For mains my partner had chicken scallopini with parmesan and sage crust, and frites. I had a chicken, basil and buffalo mozzarella sandwich with frites. Both were lovely and we were both quite full afterwards but the sweets looked too inviting and we felt we had to indulge!
For desserts we had Apple & blackcurrant shortbread crumble with vanilla custard and frozen yoghurt (scoops of natural and Mango flavours) with fresh berries (both pictured). They were both delicious, if anything mine could have done with less fruit and a bit more crumble...I bet that's not a complaint heard very often!

I tried all 3 of the traditional ales available while there, these were 'Doombar', 'Ubu' and Pedigree. All were kept well.

In all a great visit. The only let down was the fact that although there were very few customers in the restaurant (this is quite a large place) the staff weren't very attentive. We sat with empty plates after finishing the main course for quite some time, staff just walking straight past us. In the end I got fed up and went to the bar for a drink and had to tell them we had finished our meals. This seems to be a running complaint in the reviews on TripAdvisor and the management would do well to address it as it is very annoying for the customer.

That gripe aside, a very nice meal in very nice surroundings. Recommended and we will return.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

I have been to this pub about 5 times now and I can not praise it enough!!! The duck salad is amazing! Every time I have had a brilliant and enjoyable experience! The staff are brilliant and all the food is good! The risotto balls are also very yummy! I've just got home and already planning my next visit there! I strongly recommend it! Ignore any negative comments!! Just brilliant!

1  Thank rachel f
Reviewed December 29, 2013

My wife and I eat here about once a year when visiting relatives in the area. A year ago we felt it had gone down slightly and that the menu had become less interesting. This year it has definitely got significantly worse. The atmosphere is still good and the service was friendly and professional. But the food was poor. Sweet potato rosti with the pigeon starter had clearly been cooked much earlier and reheated. Gnocchi main was bland, stodgy and tasted like it had come out of a packet. Linguine was very overcooked. It's rare I don't finish a course in a restaurant but I couldn't finish the starter or the main here. The choc brownie was more like choc mousse. If you're coming here best sick to burgers or fish and chips, but even better go elsewhere.

Reviewed December 26, 2013

This was the best Christmas lunch! Lovely welcome from lovely staff, warm atmosphere, great food and service. Perfect. Thank you to everyone involved.