“Good Value for money”

Ranked #7 of 21 Loughborough B&B and Inns
Inverness, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Good Value for money”
Reviewed August 28, 2012

This family run guest house/private hotel was clean, welcoming, and evening meals were available at what seemed to be the drop of a hat. The dining room was lovely and light and the furnishings of good quality. Breakfast was hearty with plenty to choose from, tasty and well cooked. The room we had was well equipped with an en-suite bathroom and comfortable clean bed. All in all a very good place to lay one's head. The charges were very reasonable too!!!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
svage, Manager at Charnwood Lodge, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Dear Jan, it was a pleasure to read your review and always pass the comments on to all members of staff. We are pleased you enjoyed our friendly manner and noted that we all work hard to ensure the Lodge is spotless at all times. Evening meals are available and we like to ensure there are meals on the menu to suit all pockets. Many thanks once again and would love to accomodate you should you ever be in the area again. Melanie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
cornwall
Reviewed August 10, 2012 via mobile

Really very good. If you're thinking of running a B&B and you want to do it really well, go to Charnwood lodge for a night or two and let them show you how it's done. My room was spotless and comfortable, breakfast had everything I needed and the staff are lovely.

• Stayed August 2012
svage, Manager at Charnwood Lodge, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Dear Kayak School, Wow, what a great review. I printed yours off and showed my mum (boss) and asked for a pay rise hee hee. It is lovely to hear such positive comments and after showing all members of staff the reviews it makes all the hard work worth it. Mum and dad ran the business for over 12 years and put systems in place in order for me to be able to run it and maintain the high standards we would all expect our selves when staying in a guest house/hotel. So many thanks once again :) Melanie :)
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 4, 2012

Found by chance internet browsing for an overnight stay in Loughborough, this wonderful B&B came as a added bonus to a celebratory trip to the midlands.
Friendly staff, high quality accommodation with super en suites and I was kindly given a complimentary upgrade in order that I stayed near to accompanying friends.
Fantastic full English breakfast.
Could not recommend it more highly.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
svage, Manager at Charnwood Lodge, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Dear Joy W, It was a pleasure to read your review and also to welcome you and you friends to the Charnwood Lodge guest house. We always endevour to ensure all guests are happy and satisfied with their rooms and if we know that there is a group of you staying we try to put you all near each other. As we were not aware, I managed to shuffle the book around so as to accomodate you. Receiving your kind review makes the "shuffling" all worthwhile. All of our staff are trained to a high standard and it is always an ongoing training process. My parents trained me and to that high standard is how we now train staff. My parents knowledge of the hotel industry in extensive and for that reason we have a successful, friendly and tight running "ship". Many thanks once again and we look forward to welcoming you to the Lodge again should you be in the area. :) Melanie
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Chosen completely at random, this guest house was a nice find for 2 nights while working in the area. Easiest check in ever (wasnt asked for car reg, address, email, colour of underpants, etc). Simply gave them my name and they gave me my keys.

Stopped in room 12 which was spacious, very clean and comfortable. It had a nice en suite bathroom and plenty of piping hot water night and day. The room also had a large flat screen TV and thankfully a remote control that worked and was not held together with sticky tape.

Meals are served in the dining room and mine were all cooked fresh and very moderately priced (most main courses are under £10). There is a small a la carte menu and a daily special to choose from. Breakfast is served from 7am, and whilst I only had poached egg on toast (yep . . . on a diet), the full English looked and smelt delicious.

There is a small bar and lounge area too if you want a drink or simply check your emails or have a chat.

Ample car parking to front and rear of the hotel and shops within walking distance too.

A couple of very minor niggles. The free wi-fi had a lousy signal in my room (fine in the corridor or lounge area though), the toiletries were not replenished after my first night, and the instant coffee in the room was a bit . . . . odd (maybe just my taste buds though).

That said, the overall standard of room, food and service is well above average compared to other hotels in the same price bracket.

Would I return? . . . . Most definitely

PS. This is one of the very few hotels I have stayed in that actually encourage you to leave a review on Trip Advisor

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank sowie
svage, Manager at Charnwood Lodge, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Dear Sowie, Many thanks for your lengthy and detailed review. It is nice to know that people appreciate the Lodge and take the time to give us feedback. Once a guest is checking in, we aim to get you settled as soon as possible as we know from experience there is nothing worse that a long journey followed by forms and a timely check in. We found your review to be very amusing and the staff are now asking whether we should put underpant colour on the booking forms...hee hee. :) So, we are grateful for your kind comments on our dining experience, rooms and bar area. The parking facilities have over the last year doubled in size to accomodate our guests as there is nothing like peace of mind knowing your car is secure. Also the fact that it is free helps :). Once again many thanks and we look forward to welcoming you to the Lodge should you be in the Loughborough/Leicestershire area again. :) Melanie
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Charnwood Lodge is charming, spotless, well located, with effortless service/hospitality. If you are looking for good quality accomodation, in the Heart of Loughborough, look no further. My room was huge, with four poster bed, en-suite of a very high standard, pleasant outlook, and a very enjoyable stay. Thanks to all.

Room Tip: Room 8 is good, large sofa, well furnished, but I am confident they are all similar.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Jim W
svage, Manager at Charnwood Lodge, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Dear Jim W. It always makes my day to read such a fantastic review. It makes all the hard work, dedication and love that myself and staff put into the Charnwood Lodge Guest House. We are so pleased that you enjoyed room 8 - i must admit it is one of my favourite rooms, but with all of the rooms at the Lodge being decortated and furnished differently they all have their own quirkiness and likeability. Many thanks once and again and we would love to welcome you back to the Lodge should you ever be in the area again. Melanie
Benfleet, Essex
Reviewed July 18, 2012 via mobile

My girlfriend booked Charnwood Lodge for a 1 night stay as I had a supercar and rally driving day at Prestwold. The location was great with only a short drive to the track. The parking at the hotel was great and we were quickly shown to our room. We booked a family room as we took our 3 year old son with us. Was a little surprised to find 3 single beds instead of a single and a double but it was not really an issue. We were pretty hungry after the journey and my son was getting agitated so I was a bit taken aback when told that the chef did not work on Fridays and therefore the restaurant would not be open, I don't remember seeing anything on the website about this so was a little angry. We then headed off out with our son to find somewhere to eat. We got back to the room and settled for the evening. The room was spacious and comfortable. We were at the front of the building and there was a bit of noise from the busy road but not too bad. The room was clean although there was strange pair of old grey trousers hanging on the towel rail in the bathroom, not quite sure what that was about but surprised the cleaner missed it !! After a fairly good nights sleep we had breakfast in the restaurant which was very good, staff were friendly and attentive and great with my son (he is not a morning person). All in all for a 1 night stay it was pleasant enough. If I have another race day I would probably use them again although I might have dinner before I get there B-)

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Silky74
svage, Manager at Charnwood Lodge, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Dear Silky74, Many thanks for taking the time to review the Charnwood Lodge Guest House. We always enjoying welcoming guests that visit the Prestwold Track Days as it is such an amazing experience and we are happy to be part of it. We apologise that you were not aware that you were unable to have an evening meal. We are happy to reserve table on a pre book system at the weekend. Many thanks once again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the lodge should you be in the area once again. Melanie
Leicestershire
Reviewed July 8, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here to attend a wedding, it was good to be able to check in early, around 11.30 so we could get our things dropped before going off to the wedding.

There was an issue with our room that there was no power to it at all but this was quickly rectified without issue. They room itself was small but very clean and comfortable.

The bathroom was separate and across the landing but still private and was one of the best bathrooms I have had in a b&b. It was huge and extremely clean which is lovely.

When we got back from the wedding the bar was available and we were under no pressure to move along which was great and a really nice place to sit and wind down.

Breakfast was really early but good, efficient and hot none the less.

Plenty of car parking safe and on site

Great stay, I would use this hotel again

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sarah031109
, Manager at Charnwood Lodge, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
Dear Sarah, Many thanks for your review. We are pleased you enjoyed our breakfast and appreciated the free and secure parking we have to offer. Apologies for the fuse tripping - but armed with a long pointy thing, we were able to rectify it immediatley. We offer some rooms which have a private bathroom, but the majority are full en-suite. We find that this caters for all pockets as the private bathroom is reflected in the price. Many thanks once again for taking the time to review the Lodge and it was a pleasure to welcome you. Melanie