“Surf board sized fish”

Ranked #121 of 259 Restaurants in Loughborough
Crewe, United Kingdom
“Surf board sized fish”
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Due to road works I ended up going through Loughborough town centre on the A6 looking for a chip shop. On the outskirts going north I finally spotted, on the left side, the bright lights of the 300 Spartans fish & chip shop. I pulled off the main road and parked up. There is actually customer parking to the rear, but I did not spot that until I saw a sign advising of that in their window. A couple of locals in the shop already. The owner told me I would have to wait a few minutes for chips, but that was no problem as I had already spotted the gigantic fish pieces. I paid £9.90 for two really, really big bits of fish, and one portion of chips. A bag was provided. I could see everything was hot, so I drove about 300 yards up the A6 to a layby, and tucked in. The fish was top quality, and cooked with the skin on. The batter was crisp and crunchy. The chips were spot on. As said before, it was all served up really hot. I prefer to eat fish and chips with my fingures, but this was that hot, i should have taken a plastic folk when in the shop. We ate all of the fish, and most of the chips. Both left some batter. Basically, both too full to finish it off. The best fish and chips from a takeaway shop I have had in years. Made even better, as I had not intended to go through Loughborough at all - BUT GLAD I DID!!

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank owen p

Chaddesley Corbett, United Kingdom
“Freshly cooked whale-sized fish and chips”
Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

Fish and chips thrice, veggie burger and chips all for £20.90. All freshly cooked, monster portions, and very good quality. A lovely Sunday tea enjoyed by all the family.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Tyke190776
Loughborough, England, United Kingdom
“Was great back in the day”
Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

I used too use this chippy a lot but nowadays don't even consider it. Cod had sloppy uncooked batter. I can however say years ago it was THE place to go. I remember an autographed pic of Seb Coe which I wanted too burn as when he was in Loughborough he was a miserable sod who never spoke as he jogged by. Must try it again soon as it was last year .

• Visited September 2012
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
“Hands down beat chicken meat...”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

I've ever had from a chippy. Chips good too. Sweet as a nut! Not a one time occurrence either constantly good!!

• Visited July 2013
Turkey
“300 Spartans, Loughborough”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

An above average fish and chip shop with freshly cooked fish and chips cooked to perfection. I wouldn't normally review a fish and chip shop or take away but when it excels it is definately worth a mention.

Definately good in terms of price and quality and size of servings. Would recommend.

• Visited July 2013