“Not great” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Duke's Head

Duke's Head
Ranked #56 of 169 Restaurants in Lowestoft
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene, Special occasions, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
england
“Not great”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

We ate here on Sunday 7th October. We ordered a lamb roast x 2 and a children's meal of sausages, mash and veggies. The pub was about half full and our meals took half an hour to arrive. My partner and I have a bit of a running thing when we go out to eat a roast, and always give our meal a mark out of 10. Well, I gave mine a 5 and that was being generous.

The potatoes were like bullets and were not at all crispy on the outside and soft in the middle like a roastie should be, the vegetables were soggy, not that warm and mushy, the gravy was bland and was the consistency of water, and the meat was just bizarre. I studied it for a bit then realised that what the chef must have done was carve some bits of meat off a raw joint and cook them under a grill. My meat was therefore dry in places, as was my partner's. However, on a positive note, the yorkshire puddings were nice and I believe that there was nothing wrong with all the main ingredients, rather the way it was all cooked. It seemed to us that the veggies and roasties had probably been cooked quite a while ago and had then been sitting on a hotplate.

Regarding the children's meal, the sausages were delicious and cooked very well. However, the mash was the most bizarre thing I have ever tasted. My daughter loves mash and had eaten almost all of it when my partner tasted it and said "yuk". It tasted nothing like mash. All I can think is that the chef put a lot of white pepper with it which gave it its strange taste. Honestly it was one of the most disgusting things I have ever tasted. Again the veg was soggy and mushy and it was not served with any gravy which I think was a mistake.

We were on holiday at the time and so are unlikely to eat there again, which I have to say from my point of view is no bad thing.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank wingnutmel

Lowestoft, United Kingdom
“excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

To celebrate my sons 21st birthday,we booked a table for 12 on friday night.
We travelled to the restaraunt on the river via BETSIE JANE ,which can be arranged through the Waveny River Centre .On arrival we were warmly greeted and seated by a freindly waitress.The drinks arrived quickly ,followed by an impressive meal that couldn;t be faulted.An all round perfect evening .
Recomended thanks to you .

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank rachel s
Leamington Spa
“Good Pub food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

This was a nice meal. The portions were large and the surroundings comfortable. It was a Tuesday and the restaurant was relatively quiet but there was a nice ambiance and the service was good.

• Visited September 2012
Lowestoft, United Kingdom
“Disappointing Birthday Meal”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

A friend and I went to the Dukes Head for a birthday celebration meal last night 22/9/12. We were seated in the conservatory, which was very cold. I sat with my coat on, but my legs and feet were frozen. We waited around 45minutes for our meal to arrive. When it did, the first thing I tried, the mashed potatoe, was cold.I told the young waitress, and she took my plate away. In the meantime, I asked my friend to eat his meal whilst it was still warm. By the time my meal was returned to me, my friend had finished his! I told the waitress that we were so cold, and she replied with some embarrassment, that they were trying to persuade management to switch the heating on. What would have been a nice birthday meal was ruined by feeling so cold, waiting an unacceptable time for the meal to arrive, and then it being served cold. We will not be returning again.

Visited September 2012
2 Thank Elaine S
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

We decided to re-visit the Dukes Head on Saturday evening - it has previously been a favourite local foodie pub but we had not yet tried it since it has been taken over by new management. What a disappointment! The building and setting remains lovely but the food and service were poor. Our greeting on arrival was miserable and lacklustre. The menu was terrible for vegetarians - no veggie option on the main menu and only one choice on the specials board. The veggie mediterannean tart (not very original) was quite tasty but it was TINY!! It was a miniscule tart the size of a coaster and served with a very small salad in a bowl the size of a saucer. What a cheek to charge £10 for that! I don't have an enormous appetite but i left very hungry! My partner had the pork belly which he said was just ok but quite tastless and needed an injection of flavour - it was a slice of pork on an enormous pile of mash with a very watery jus. To their credit, the waitress did give me a complimentary dessert - however, again, it was a let-down. I had the lemon possett but this appeared to be just a big glass of whipped cream with a little squirt of lemon juice. We were really hoping that we would enjoy our return to the Dukes head but unless the kitchen improves drastically we sadly won't be returning.

• Visited August 2012