“MIDWEEK BREAK EXPERIENCE GUNTON HALL LOWESTOFT” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Warner Leisure Hotels Gunton Hall Coastal Village

Warner Leisure Hotels Gunton Hall Coastal Village
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Lowestoft
United Kingdom
“MIDWEEK BREAK EXPERIENCE GUNTON HALL LOWESTOFT”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

Returned from Gunton Hall, Warners at Lowestoft yesterday, stayed Wed 25th to Friday 27th Sept. Unfortunately the media coverage of this resort was misleading, we are young 59'rs and looking at the adverts from Warners everyone who visited were of a similar age group, wrong, Gunton Hall, Lowestoft was much older, lovely people but much older than me and my husband. Could not fault the staff and food, the chalet was nice and clean, we stayed in a premier chalet in the village square, very nice outlook and extremely quiet and relaxing but the bathroom was outdated, I felt dangerous for anyone unsteady, in fact I was surprised as there were so many elderly people staying that they weren't wet rooms or shower cubicles, I'm quite agile but found it hard to get in and out of the bath, the shower would also run cold after a while. The bed was also very uncomfortable you could feel the springs, I laid on a pillow but still had a disturbed sleep. Good points, well positioned to sightsee and the grounds were lovely.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GINABINA53
Gunton W, General Manager at Warner Leisure Hotels Gunton Hall Coastal Village, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear “Ginabina53”

Thank you for the review and I will pass your feedback to my management team at Gunton Hall about your observations. I was pleased you enjoyed the locations for seeing local attractions and enjoyed our gorgeous gardens.

Simon Haslam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (483)
Oxford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

Filthy chalet-asked for it to be cleaned, and the disgusting mattress covers to be changed, over two days -nothing happened.Had to wash the headboards myself and use carrier bags to line the dirty drawers. No usable lock on the toilet door-it had been painted over years ago! Take your own toiletries, we had one small (opened) shower gel for the length of our stay.Very glad to come home. We registered all of the complaints with Gunton Hall and confirmed them in writing to Mr Dunton CE when we arrived home. He did not reply but forwarded our complaint back to Gunton Hall who then sent us a goodwill gesture of £60 (do we really want to spend £400/£500 on a short break to get £60 off) to be used off of a future 'WarMers' holiday.(yes they cannot even spell the company name of whom they work for). This took some 3 weeks to arrive as they also got our address wrong sending it to No.70 instead of No.7 and also our name wrong!! In desperation I wrote back to the Chief Executive, but nearly a month later I have had no reply. Is this really a way for such a big concern to treat their 'loyal' guests. (their words not mine). I don't think so!

Room Tip: Don't know of any
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 620rosie
Hannah_Warner, General Manager at Warner Leisure Hotels Gunton Hall Coastal Village, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback.

We have recently been corresponding via e-mail and I am pleased that we have resolved any problems you had. I’d once again like to apologise you did not feel the Chalet was up to our normal high standards. I have spoken to my Head of Housekeeping to ensure the room is double checked before any other guests arrive. I hope you feel your feedback has been taken seriously and acted upon.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Gunton Hall soon.

Kind Regards,
Sheffield
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

When we went to look at our allocated Chalet which was a premier village chalet we were tol d by the cleaner to make sure that we leave the fan on in the bathroom otherwise there would be a lot of condensation - however we were not happy with what we saw - small bed with bedside tables a long way from the bed - nott a flat screen television as described in fact our shed at home was better than the tin hut that we had been allocated. We went to reception who listened to our complaints and said that the TV was a misprint in the brochure and could not be altered but they would try and find us one. We said that we were not prepared to stay in the accomodation and paid to upgrade to a new garden lodge. This was a lot better because of the extra space and the modern and new interior and the views over the lake. You didn't feel that you were in a holiday camp. We usually stay at Thoresby Hall Hotel and would not return to Gunton or any other of the Warner's 'holiday camps'.

Room Tip: Would only consider the new garden lodges
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sothall
Dear “Sothall”

Thank you for the review on Trip Advisor and I am pleased that you enjoyed your holiday experience in our new garden lodges. I was disappointed to hear about your comments with regard to your accommodation, which I will share with my leadership team at the hotel.

biggin hill
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

Spent Monday to Friday at Gunton Hall. Staff very helpful, Garden Lodge Chalets are nice..but still chalets... opened Easter this year but central heating was/is not working, and we were given radiators, also was told that the shower tray not emptying is "a design fault" the carpet looks horrible already. Needs additional lightening along the pathways and considering the agilty and the age of the clients maybe handrails along the slopes and pathways. The restaurant and staff were great and the spa staff lovely. my preference are the Warner's hotels rather than this holiday camp site but had a lovely stay anyway

Room Tip: check locality of chalet to the main reception/dining rooms etc
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear “Snadraisabella”

Thank you for the taking the time to give me detailed feedback on the new lodges at Gunton Hall. Since they have opened at Easter we have had lots of great feedback on the design and location. I will share your comments about the team and in particular the ladies in the Spa team.

Binbrook, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

A really terrific weekend of superb Jazz music which we attended with four friends & we really try to enjoy every moment of our break.
On arrival into our chalet we noticed the drawers smelt strongly of damp & the decoration was not up to Warner's usual high standard. We reported this at Reception but Victoria was not at all apologetic nor helpful, other than sending different drawers.
Not wishing to miss Dinner nor the evening entertainment we decided to leave things but spent a miserable sleepless night worrying over the damp conditions. Next morning we requested to see the Duty Manager who listened to our problem & swiftly relocated us to a suitable clean & dry chalet with profuse apologies. Have since contacted Claire who made recompense to compensate for the problems with many apologies. This is a fair conclusion to the matter.
We have booked for this break again next year though taken the precaution of taking the first upgrade to avoid further dissatisfaction.
Have to say that both Sue & Jenny on Reception were exceedingly helpful to us & our waiter Keith was great too. Most efficient & so helpful. A real ray of sunshine who joined in with our fun times.
Warner standards are usually immaculate in all areas but if you have a problem it seems you should speak to Management if you do not receive the help you need. I think they are very protective of their reputation of excellence.
Gunton resort is in a beautiful location complete with lake, plenty of wildlife & surrounded by lovely trees & within walking distance of the beach.

Room Tip: Probably take first upgrade.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear “Barbara E”

Thank you for your comments on trip advisor and I am pleased to hear that we problem solved to your satisfaction with your accommodation. I will make sure all the positive comments about the named team members are rewarded and recognised. I am looking forward to hosting the jazz festival again in 2014.

England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

This was the third visit to Gunton Hall and one of many good holidays spent at various Warner locations countrywide. The check-in as normal was very prompt and efficient.However, on entering our chalet (No.30 Sycamore) we were met with dark and damp smelling accommodation. I immediately went back to reception to advise of this and was told that if an alternative came up them we would be informed accordingly. No such advice was forthcoming so I can only assume that there was no alternative accommodation. Perhaps this could be checked. The bathroom had no hot water and I was immediately informed by a maintenance man that the hot water cylinder had split and that they had to replace this at short notice. All credit to the maintenance team, they had been put on the spot at short notice and had replaced the cylinder very promptly and we were told that hot water would be available within a hour which was not a problem. However, prior to the water being heated up, I had to run the bath tap for about 45 minutes to get rid of the rusty water. This problem I consider to be down to a lack of checking the chalets as clearly No.30 had not been occupied for some time and had it been so, then the hot water cylinder problem would have been discovered earlier and would have been sorted in good time for the occupation of the chalet. As it turned out, this lack of checking put the maintenance team under pressure to resolve the problem, which they did in record time. The damp smell in the chalet remained for the duration of our stay which was made worse by a most uncomfortable bed. In all our visits to Warners we had previously experienced very comfortable beds but this was certainly an exception which gave us sleepness nights throughout our stay. We had previously only sung praises of Warners but on this occasion were bitterly disappointed with the accommodation.Instead of returning home rested as per normal at Warners, because of the bad bed, we returned home absolutely tired out.
However, all was not bad as all staff were excellent as usual, the entertainment team were absolutely brilliant and the waitress at our table (153) was most efficient,pleasant and a delightful young lady.
After our experience I would seriously reconsider returning to Warners as I wouldn`t wish for a repeat of this occurance and would possibly consider Potters where I understand that all accommodation is first class.

Chris S

Room Tip: Please visit your room before accepting it
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank kentishvisitor
Dear Chris S

Thank you for the feedback and it was very unfortunate that we had to change the boiler for your accommodation on the day of your arrival. The problem was discovered that morning and luckily we had a spare water boiler in stock in our maintenance department. I apologise for the inconvenience it caused however as we know from experiences from home you never know when a boiler can break down.
I did enjoy reading your comments about the team and in particular the restaurant team and will share the feedback with them.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

We have been going to Warners for several years now, but Gunton seems to be our favourite. We had a 3 night break way back in march but we and I mean all 51 of us had a brilliant time even if it was snowing,and the entertainment was fantastic.We were given our own section in the restaurant where nothing was to much trouble the service and food was excellent, and our waiters was the best you could ask for.
We was on a all inclusive break (everly brothers tribute) and this was our first and we could not fault the service even when they ran out of beer it was quickly resolved (bearing in mind there was 51 people aged 21 - 75) and we all like a good drink.
We are all going back in Feb 2014 well 33 of us and we can't wait, so that must tell you what a fab place Gunton is.
Looking forward to February for Take That Tribute

Sue

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank sue w
Gunton W, General Manager at Warner Leisure Hotels Gunton Hall Coastal Village, responded to this review, September 21, 2013
Dear “Sue B”

Thank you for the review and I am so pleased that you and your 51 friends had a “brilliant time”. I look forward to hosting your holiday next year in 2014 with the “Take That” tribute on Saturday night.

Simon Haslam
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lowestoft
Ivy House Country Hotel
Sprowston Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Waveney Inn
Waveney Inn
#1 of 1 in Burgh St Peter

Been to Warner Leisure Hotels Gunton Hall Coastal Village? Share your experiences!