Warner Leisure Hotels Gunton Hall Coastal Village
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Lowestoft
Reviewed September 24, 2013

When we went to look at our allocated Chalet which was a premier village chalet we were tol d by the cleaner to make sure that we leave the fan on in the bathroom otherwise there would be a lot of condensation - however we were not happy with what we saw - small bed with bedside tables a long way from the bed - nott a flat screen television as described in fact our shed at home was better than the tin hut that we had been allocated. We went to reception who listened to our complaints and said that the TV was a misprint in the brochure and could not be altered but they would try and find us one. We said that we were not prepared to stay in the accomodation and paid to upgrade to a new garden lodge. This was a lot better because of the extra space and the modern and new interior and the views over the lake. You didn't feel that you were in a holiday camp. We usually stay at Thoresby Hall Hotel and would not return to Gunton or any other of the Warner's 'holiday camps'.

Room Tip: Would only consider the new garden lodges
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sothall
Gunton W, General Manager at Warner Leisure Hotels Gunton Hall Coastal Village, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2013

Dear “Sothall”

Thank you for the review on Trip Advisor and I am pleased that you enjoyed your holiday experience in our new garden lodges. I was disappointed to hear about your comments with regard to your accommodation, which I will share with my leadership team at the hotel.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

Spent Monday to Friday at Gunton Hall. Staff very helpful, Garden Lodge Chalets are nice..but still chalets... opened Easter this year but central heating was/is not working, and we were given radiators, also was told that the shower tray not emptying is "a design fault" the carpet looks horrible already. Needs additional lightening along the pathways and considering the agilty and the age of the clients maybe handrails along the slopes and pathways. The restaurant and staff were great and the spa staff lovely. my preference are the Warner's hotels rather than this holiday camp site but had a lovely stay anyway

Room Tip: check locality of chalet to the main reception/dining rooms etc
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Dear “Snadraisabella”

Thank you for the taking the time to give me detailed feedback on the new lodges at Gunton Hall. Since they have opened at Easter we have had lots of great feedback on the design and location. I will share your comments about the team and in particular the ladies in the Spa team.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

A really terrific weekend of superb Jazz music which we attended with four friends & we really try to enjoy every moment of our break.
On arrival into our chalet we noticed the drawers smelt strongly of damp & the decoration was not up to Warner's usual high standard. We reported this at Reception but Victoria was not at all apologetic nor helpful, other than sending different drawers.
Not wishing to miss Dinner nor the evening entertainment we decided to leave things but spent a miserable sleepless night worrying over the damp conditions. Next morning we requested to see the Duty Manager who listened to our problem & swiftly relocated us to a suitable clean & dry chalet with profuse apologies. Have since contacted Claire who made recompense to compensate for the problems with many apologies. This is a fair conclusion to the matter.
We have booked for this break again next year though taken the precaution of taking the first upgrade to avoid further dissatisfaction.
Have to say that both Sue & Jenny on Reception were exceedingly helpful to us & our waiter Keith was great too. Most efficient & so helpful. A real ray of sunshine who joined in with our fun times.
Warner standards are usually immaculate in all areas but if you have a problem it seems you should speak to Management if you do not receive the help you need. I think they are very protective of their reputation of excellence.
Gunton resort is in a beautiful location complete with lake, plenty of wildlife & surrounded by lovely trees & within walking distance of the beach.

Room Tip: Probably take first upgrade.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Dear “Barbara E”

Thank you for your comments on trip advisor and I am pleased to hear that we problem solved to your satisfaction with your accommodation. I will make sure all the positive comments about the named team members are rewarded and recognised. I am looking forward to hosting the jazz festival again in 2014.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

This was the third visit to Gunton Hall and one of many good holidays spent at various Warner locations countrywide. The check-in as normal was very prompt and efficient.However, on entering our chalet (No.30 Sycamore) we were met with dark and damp smelling accommodation. I immediately went back to reception to advise of this and was told that if an alternative came up them we would be informed accordingly. No such advice was forthcoming so I can only assume that there was no alternative accommodation. Perhaps this could be checked. The bathroom had no hot water and I was immediately informed by a maintenance man that the hot water cylinder had split and that they had to replace this at short notice. All credit to the maintenance team, they had been put on the spot at short notice and had replaced the cylinder very promptly and we were told that hot water would be available within a hour which was not a problem. However, prior to the water being heated up, I had to run the bath tap for about 45 minutes to get rid of the rusty water. This problem I consider to be down to a lack of checking the chalets as clearly No.30 had not been occupied for some time and had it been so, then the hot water cylinder problem would have been discovered earlier and would have been sorted in good time for the occupation of the chalet. As it turned out, this lack of checking put the maintenance team under pressure to resolve the problem, which they did in record time. The damp smell in the chalet remained for the duration of our stay which was made worse by a most uncomfortable bed. In all our visits to Warners we had previously experienced very comfortable beds but this was certainly an exception which gave us sleepness nights throughout our stay. We had previously only sung praises of Warners but on this occasion were bitterly disappointed with the accommodation.Instead of returning home rested as per normal at Warners, because of the bad bed, we returned home absolutely tired out.
However, all was not bad as all staff were excellent as usual, the entertainment team were absolutely brilliant and the waitress at our table (153) was most efficient,pleasant and a delightful young lady.
After our experience I would seriously reconsider returning to Warners as I wouldn`t wish for a repeat of this occurance and would possibly consider Potters where I understand that all accommodation is first class.

Chris S

Room Tip: Please visit your room before accepting it
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank kentishvisitor

Dear Chris S

Thank you for the feedback and it was very unfortunate that we had to change the boiler for your accommodation on the day of your arrival. The problem was discovered that morning and luckily we had a spare water boiler in stock in our maintenance department. I apologise for the inconvenience it caused however as we know from experiences from home you never know when a boiler can break down.
I did enjoy reading your comments about the team and in particular the restaurant team and will share the feedback with them.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

We have been going to Warners for several years now, but Gunton seems to be our favourite. We had a 3 night break way back in march but we and I mean all 51 of us had a brilliant time even if it was snowing,and the entertainment was fantastic.We were given our own section in the restaurant where nothing was to much trouble the service and food was excellent, and our waiters was the best you could ask for.
We was on a all inclusive break (everly brothers tribute) and this was our first and we could not fault the service even when they ran out of beer it was quickly resolved (bearing in mind there was 51 people aged 21 - 75) and we all like a good drink.
We are all going back in Feb 2014 well 33 of us and we can't wait, so that must tell you what a fab place Gunton is.
Looking forward to February for Take That Tribute

Sue

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank sue w
Gunton W, General Manager at Warner Leisure Hotels Gunton Hall Coastal Village, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2013

Dear “Sue B”

Thank you for the review and I am so pleased that you and your 51 friends had a “brilliant time”. I look forward to hosting your holiday next year in 2014 with the “Take That” tribute on Saturday night.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

We have been on a few Warner breaks and so had been expecting a more comfortable time with our mothers.
However we were based quite a distance from the hotel (difficult in wet weather with a wheelchair) and the chalets reminded me of a holiday camp with a strong smell of wee in one of our rooms.
Several windows were broken on two of our three chalets including our bathroom window at the back which we had to use a lot of force to close and lock so we did not feel very secure and only one of the rooms had a safe.
The safe we did have was on the floor of the wardrobe, so how they expected an elderly person to get down that low to set and use it was a mystery to me - I had to get down on my hands and knees to do so!
We ran out of shampoo and shower gel on the second day; Saturday and when I asked a passing chalet maid for another bottle of each, I was told we only get 1 small bottle of each per trip (for two people this was a bit mean). She did however give us another bottle, but not very graciously.
My mothers wardrobe door handle kept falling off, but she managed to fix this herself with the aid of some tweezers and she also kept losing reception on her TV.
The swimming pool area was also quite run down and looked like it was in need of some TLC.
With regard to the restaurants, the only complaint there was that there was only an hour allocated to meals and so a lot of long queues.
On the plus side, the food was good and plentiful, our waitress was really lovely and the restaurant manager went out of his way to find a banana for my mother in law as she was used to having one for breakfast every day.
The staff were on the whole were very helpful and cheerful.
My mother in law also did have her windows repaired while we were there and the maintenance man was very helpful to her; showing her how to put the heating on in her chalet as she was cold.

Room Tip: Do not go in the standard chalets.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Wendy S

Dear “Wendy B”

Thank you for the review and in fact it was me who you spoke to in the restaurant to organise the banana. I was pleased to read about the helpful team members and I have shared all the comments back to my hotel leadership team.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

Had a brilliant weekend, weather was great when we arrived (31 of us). Booking in experience very organised and efficient, Sue, Claire, Jennifer lovely to see again. Took over a complete area in the dining room which was perfect. Stayed in one the new garden lodges, what a treat, beautifully decorated, everything you need to make your stay comfortable. Food was great as usual, lots of choice and caters for all tastes, shame not to get your tea and coffee at the end of the meal. Loved the entertainment the team of Jodie, Hayley, Xander, Anna, Lexie (hope I haven't missed anyone are very professional. On the Sunday they had a BBQ Hayley sang to us while we ate, very enjoyable then we played silly games (£2 for a bag of chips) which we all took part in, played basketball (actually only did throwing the ball in the net) but forwards, backwards and with your eyes closed, women beat the men, great. Then we went on to do wellie wanging surprised by the number of people taking part, had a great laugh, some brilliant expressions as people were throwing the wellie. Then played rounders, what a laugh most people probably hadn't played for 40/50 years or more but we had great fun, Lewis, Aston, Hayley, Anna, Lexie, Jodie all worked so hard to entertain everyone. The guests that didn't take part really enjoyed the afternoon, sitting in the sun watching and laughing at some of the antics. We also took part in quizzes, pistol shooting, archery, swimming, dance lessons, choir to name but a few. Beautiful setting, lovely staff, good food, great entertainment, great place to chill out. WE LOVE IT

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Janet G
Gunton W, General Manager at Warner Leisure Hotels Gunton Hall Coastal Village, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2013

Dear “Janet G”

Thank you for the lovely feedback about your recent stay at Gunton Hall. I am very pleased that you have recognised so many team members that made your weekend so special.

Simon Haslam

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lowestoft
Travelodge Lowestoft Hotel
Allseasons Hotels by Tingdene
Wherry Hotel
Wherry Hotel
#1 of 1 in Oulton Broad

Been to Warner Leisure Hotels Gunton Hall Coastal Village? Share your experiences!