“Family holiday with two under 3's”
Review of Waterside Park

Waterside Park
Reviewed August 22, 2012

The accomodation was of a very high standard.
The park and facilties where of a high standard.
The staff where great, very helpfull. Always smiled and acknoledged you and asked how you where and helped if you needed it.
Highlight- the pool, very well designed for little ones, starts very shallow at one end and gradually gets deeper, very warm also.
Great views of sea.
Boys liked play park and lots of other families on holiday made for great holiday experience.

2  Thank the_boss187

Reviewed August 11, 2012

We stayed at Waterside park from 4th Aug to 11th Aug 2012. The whole family really enjoyed the holiday. The park is small but has some nice facilities; decent outddor swimming pool, nice little play ground, 2p machines and a nice bar/club plus outdoor space where the kids can let off steam. We stayed in number 87 which was a lovely clean modern villa which was equiped well beyond the standards stated in the brochue. Comfortable with furniture and applicance which were good quality not cheap and cheerful. very nice to get a small patio area with furniture and even a BBQ. Friendly welcome on reception neat and tidy site. Only very minor grumbles were a lack of oppurtunity to recycle anything and the life guards at the pool didn't seem very friendly (but I guess they were doing their job watching the swimmers). The area is great for families, highly recommend Gorleston beach and trips to Bewilderwood and Pettitts animal adventure if you have kids around 3-8. So all in all a great stay and we will return!

1  Thank davehowe
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Have just returned from a week at Waterside Park and was very pleased that I didn't let some earlier reviews put me off. We stayed in Villa no.31 and it was clean, well furnished and finished to a high standard. The staff were friendly and helpful and the bar/restaurant was excellent with good sized meals at reasonable prices. There are some villas and bungalows that are currently being refurbished but this did not affect us at all. The park is well kept and parking is not a problem at all.
Corton is a pleasant, quiet village with a couple of good pubs, both offering food, and a Chinese takeaway. It is well located for Lowestoft, Great Yarmouth and the Broads. All in all a week well spent

Reviewed July 25, 2012

So, having just returned from a 1 week stay here and having paid circa £950 for 2 villas I thought I should share my experience. We too were concerned with previous reviews and so emailed the park before arriving and received no reply (start of a theme here... customer service is not Tingdene or Waterside Park's strong point).

I think "happyholidayer30" and "ladybugme" must have had the same villa because all the same issues were still there...

* cleanliness was poor with room, carpet and furniture smelling pretty bad - I found a piece of glass in the carpet, bathroom pull cord filthy, toilet seat was dirty when we arrived - spent an hour with anti bac spray before I let the kids run round. No hoover in villa. Shower was disgraceful, grouting missing in several places, shower fixing loose, shower cubicle was awful, handles completely worn and hardly able to close the doors. Guttering all broken externally.

* general building quality and maintenance is very poor - gaps between the window and frame when closed, poor finishing around electrical sockets, bare plaster in places, drilled holes in wall and furniture not repaired, bathroom lock not functioning, balcony in state of disrepair with concrete sagging and reinforcement rods exposed in areas. All PAT tests 2 months out of date. Cooker lights missing the plastic covers, end cap missing off towel heater, microwave plate not turning, helpfully the fridge was turned down to 1 when we arrived and so it took us a few hours to work out whether it even worked. Walls needed a paint, marks everywhere all the gloss was cracked around door frames too. Kids doors didn't close properly and one of them squeaked.

* Furnishings poor - mismatched couches, one of which was worn badly on the seat, no soft furnishings (curtains, cushions) which meant the external light outside the kids bedroom lit the room all night. Table and side tables more suitable for a conservatory, glass tops, metal with upturned spiked feet - not ideal for kids, in fact quite a health hazard

* Building site - villas 34 and 37 are located in between a number of villas owned/rented by staff - there were no other holiday makers around us! Other villas directly in our vicinity were in "Phase 2" of construction. Disgracefully some have missing windows and broken glass without any Health and Safety signage or demarcation. Not sure what the HSE would say about that, they will be in a lot of trouble if a child gets in and has an accident there!

It would appear that this is not just a site for holiday makers, quite the contrary it seems to be for staff and semi-permanent residents - we understandably wanted a holiday experience and sadly living amongst staff was not conducive to this. This also affected the vibe within the pub on location as there were larger groups of people who knew each other, certainly not a "holiday entertainment venue".

* Facilities - "laundry" means 1 washing machine and 1 tumble drier. As far as I could tell the hairdressers was not staffed during our stay. Funnily enough neither was reception. Seems to be skeleton staff running around flitting between bar jobs and other jobs on site. Plenty of sales people though trying to flog the other properties. Unfortunately they are definitely geared up towards selling rather than making sure people enjoy their holidays contrary to anything their sales literature will tell you.

All in all a pretty awful holiday which is a shame. Some good points - great hot water supply in the villas and parking was easy. The kids play area was good and the site seems to be well kept externally (grass areas and front of house).

We stayed there for 6 nights out of the 7 we paid for. The accommodation was not worth the £950 we were charged and as a result our holiday suffered. I have been in dispute with them since but alas they have failed to offer me any compensation of any value to me (other than £100 vouchers for another holiday with them! as if...)

Tips - if you are going to risk it, and I wouldn't, I would advise taking the following:

* screwdriver (one of each)
* bedding
* anti bac
* hoover
* set of allen keys (to tighten up the fittings holding the beds together)
* camera to get photos for your letter of complaint
* music box
* playstation/DVD player (ours didn't work)
* extension lead
* gaffer tape for gaps in UPVC
* sense of humour
* hard hat, high visibility vest and safety shoes
* crystal ball so you can work out which of the 10 staff on site is the group general manager (clue is that the managers live in villas 34 and 35)
* book with a credit card via Hoseasons rather than the park direct as this will give you greater protection against substandard holidays
* don't forget a selection of microwave glass plates because chances are that the one in your microwave wasn't designed for it and therefore won't go round

Don't bother to allay your concerns prior to visiting (especially after reading comments on Trip Advisor) because they do not answer calls and they do not respond to emails (again you will see the theme developing as you read other holiday makers reports saying the same).

I have included some photos in case anyone suspects my comments are unreasonable, judge for yourselves and let me know what you would be happy to pay to put up with this for a week!

This place really is a joke and the Group General Manager and all the other alleged managers should be ashamed of themselves for putting GUESTS into these particular villas. The same applies for the Tingdene Group Holiday Parks managers who still fail to acknowledge that this site has some serious problems.

Happy holidays (but please do yourself a favour and keep well clear of here!)

Room Tip: Ensure you don't end up in villa 34 or 36 - we booked both, terrible terrible accommodation, wit...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
19  Thank manicmonday63
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Have just returned from a 4 night break at Waterside Park and the park exceded my expectations. Very peaceful and the Villa was modern and clean. The location is also great as it's only a short drive from Lowestoft, Great Yarmouth and Oulton Broad. In the past I have paid a lot more money to stay in lesser accomodation in this part of the world.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 28, 2012

We stayed for 4 nights in June in a 3 bed villa, number 103, next to the car park but not facing it. Booked through Hoseasons, cost us £224 which was just about the cheapest we could find anywhere for the dates we needed so we were a bit worried, especially when we came on here and saw bad reviews. In our experience these reviews were unjustified. The villa was great - had been refurbished and the ground floor was especially nice - big comfy leather sofas, nice big dining table, flat screen tv with freeview and DVD player, modern kitchen with everything we needed (admittedly the pots and pans did look like they might be from the 1970's! but they did their job just fine), nice bathroom downstairs too. There was also decking outside with table and chairs and you could just about see the sea too, not that we really had the weather to sit out there! Upstairs was fine, not as nicely done out but it was fine.We stayed just ourselves and our 7 month old son who was in a travel cot which we put in the twin bedroom as there wouldn't have been room in the single bedroom. Would have been plenty of room in if we wanted to have him in with us in the double bedroom though. We didn't use the facilities on the site,so can't comment on these. The location itself was great, we mostly used it as a base for visiting the Norfolk Broads, friends who live nearby and the races at Great Yarmouth. Very happy with our stay and would definitely return.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 31, 2012

I booked the Waterside Park through 40winks it was £89 for a 3night break in a three bed villa.
I hadn't seen the reviews on this site before i booked the holiday, but when i did I was worried about the condition of the villa. I rang up before hand to talk to someone about the reviews and they were very helpful. I had nothing to fear however; on arrival Maddy on the reception was so friendly and can't fault her at all.
We were in villa 88; which had yet to be updated; you could see walking round the site that some had already been done. The accommodation was very spacious and clean. I will agree that it is in need on a lick of paint and some new bed linen and curtains, but beside that it was very well appointed. The kitchen had everything we needed to cook over the weekend, the fire alarm was a little sensitive and did go off each time we cooked, but I have experienced the same in other places I have stayed, so was not worried about this. The bathroom was again very clean and the shower was fab, just in need of some modern fittings.
I feel that once the villa has been updated like the rest it will be a lovely place for anyone to come and relax for a weekend/week. The area is beautiful and we were very lucky with the weather being the hottest it had been so far this year.
The site facilities were very good. The pool was beautiful, warm and clean; I work at a pool so am very conscious about pool hygiene. We ordered lunch from the restaurant one day and the portions were a good size and the food was good quality, the chips were especially nice!
I feel the people who have posted before hand have been very unfair on the Waterside Park and this may put other people off.
I would like to tell people now that it is definitely worth a visit!

Room Tip: Ask for a updated villa before booking.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lowestoft
Allseasons Hotels by Tingdene
#6 of 28 in Lowestoft
Broadlands
Broadlands
#1 of 1 in Oulton Broad

Been to Waterside Park? Share your experiences!