“STAY AWAY.....”

Winelodge Suites
Driffield, United Kingdom
“STAY AWAY.....”
Reviewed November 5, 2013

If you like sleep then this is not the place for you. the smoking area outside is so loud that you may as well be out there with them. If you want a quiet break with your family find anywhere else. Having spent two nights listening to screeching women, young men swearing their heads off and general crashing and banging until 3am it was topped off by a woman being carried out of the club by 6 coppers into a van whilst she called them every name under the sun. My kids didn't need to see that either. We checked out a day early as I booked a different hotel at 2am on saturday morning unable to face another night of sleep deprivation torture.

If you're a young group who are not coming in until 3.30 am then thats fine but if you have kids I strongly advise you to find a much better location

Room Tip: The apartment suite is nice, but probably the worst for noise.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank The-fish-farmer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Northampton
Reviewed September 22, 2013

We stayed here last night. When we arrived there was no one on reception and had to go into the bar next door to check in. This was fine as it was only 5.30 pm and it wasn't busy. Would not have liked to have tried a few hours later as it was rammed with people and with police and two bouncers at the door. Was given a card with security number entry. Walked in to an empty building and up two flights of stairs which could have done with a good hoover and wash. As we walked along the darkened corridors to our room (301) the lights were on a timer which was very slow and we were practically through the next lot of doors before it came on. It also smelled very musty. As we went into our room the musty smell got worse. It was like the attic room that had been forgotten about and then opened up quickly when visitors came. The carpet in the lounge area and bedroom was very stained . The lounge area had a leather sofa, a long sideboard with a very small tv on and two pots of pot-pourri that had seen better days. The windows in both rooms were open and could not shut (didnt really matter as it was warm) and the blinds would not stay down. Was very dusty. Had to de-scale the kettle before making a drink. Dirty scuffy marks and a few holes in the walls. Dirty old sponge to wash up with and empty carrier bags in the drawer. Again could not close blind in bedroom. The pillows were full of yellow dribble stains, thankfully the bedlinen was clean. There were also a couple of bogies on the wall by the bed. The loo brush in the bathroom was rather horrible. Bedroom was over the rear car park so was quite quiet until the wine bar emptied out. Why do drunk girls have to scream rather a lot? Had some ear plugs so that wasn't too bad. Was very quiet the next morning so had a bit of a lie in. When we checked out again there was no one in reception so we just left. On arrival were were given a card for a breakfast all you can eat for £5 in their canteen about 5 mins walk away but we couldn't be bothered to go. Very shabby and run down place but ok if you are on a hen or stag night and just need somewhere to sleep when you are drunk. Only paid £60 so wasn't worth complaining but thought I would let people know it really isn't as nice as it looks in the photos.

Room Tip: Choose a room somewhere else!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Lowestoft hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed in the Winelodge apartments that are just up the road from the hotel. The apartment was booked as it was 2 bedroom and would cater for 4 adults.
The apartment had 2 double clean and comfortable beds but unfortunately the kitchen area could have been cleaner. The crockery and cutlery was grubby in places and so was the shelving in the cupboards. The apartment gave a lovely view of the beach which would have been appreciated more, had anybody cleaned the windows. The last downfall was the seating provided was a small 3 seater sofa which meant our 4th person had to sit on a deckchair that we had in our car, otherwise it would have been a dining chair or the floor.
There is a nice table and enough dining chairs for all though and plenty of towels provided for everyone.
The beach was sandy and one of the best little beaches I had ever been on. There is plenty of local shops and takeaways and things to do in close proximity.
We also had a half day boat trip from CC Marines, in Beccles. This was the highlight of our break and I would highly recommend it if you just want to get a glimpse of the Broads.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dagenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 1, 2013

we stayed 2 nights never ever again, looks posh from the outside but couldnt be further from it inside , the bed was so comfy that was the best thing about it bu laying in bed till 3am listening to people shouting outside the bar was a joke , police was there by 2am but noise didnt stop till gone 3 , no chance of sleeping through that , we hoped it was just a 1 off but nope the 2nd night was just as bad , it wasnt music from in the bar it was all the people outside constantly shouting , would of had more luck sleeping in a football stadium on match day, the room was modern, big n had nice kitchen with all u could need but also had a wall covered in damp which for someone like myself that has asthma thats really not a ggod thing, nobody on the reception desk either, light switch all the waay over the other side of the room to the bed with no lamp so gotta try n find the bed in the dark,we was on 2nd floor with no lifts ,the corridor lights came on once you was nearly through to the next door so trying to walk while pitch black was a bit hard , also there is nothing in the area your basically in the middle of nowhere , ill definatly be staying in travel lodge or a b&b next time

Room Tip: tip for a good room.... a different hotel
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Lincolnshire
Reviewed August 20, 2013

A failing of the accomodation is that there is no-one manning the reception desk. Booking in is via the bar. So if you phone don't expecrt anyone to answer. The room we had was on the top floor. No lifts so could be a struggle for some. The suite is very spacious although no window in the bedroom other than a roof light.

We were only given one towel however when notified the bar staff they text the manager and the missing towels were delivered by I think the cook!

There is no fridge in the suite other than one for wine bottles. Crockery was preety sparce as well, no bread board, cheese grater etc, you get the feeling that you are not expected to cook. Although the wine lodge does sell fairly cheap meals. I cannot comment on these though as did not eat there.

We were on the top floor and did experience noise on the Saturday from the function room, although as I am not a light sleeper did not cause too much of a problem although could for some.

If some of these points were addressed, 24 hour cover on reception, fridge, adequate crockery I would reccomemd the suites.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Like others that have written here, this is the very first review I have been compelled to write. Regrettably, it's a reflection of how bad an experience this was. We booked this hotel on the strength of the webiste description and photos. They must have photographed a completely different hotel to that shown on their website. The room was meant to be an Executive Suite, rooms 501~503. There was no evidence of the luxury appointments so proudly illustrated on their website. Instead, we were confronted with a shabby, dirty, poorly appointed sorry excuse for a hotel suite!!! Evidence of damp on the walls, peeling paintwork and a patched up bath, (walk in power shower, pah!!!!), joke!!! No sign of the 42" plasma TV, WiFi, (only in the bar), or plush sofa's or any of the nice fixtures and fittings shown on the website. I would go as far to say that the on-line description is totally misleading, this hotel should be investigated by trading standards for mirepresentation. Given that we booked a suite that should be able to accommodate 4 people, you would have expected that the kitchen area would be appointed accordingly, not a chance!!

I should also mention that there is a nightclub below that has the sort of reputation that you need to avoid. Police present till 3am. No safe parking, (I actually parked my car in the car park of another hotel, down the road), and no one on reception in the 3 days we were there, only the bar staff that are clearly not equipped to deal with hotel clientelle. The road is very noisy, all of the time.

I have stayed in many hotels both in the UK and abroad both through work and family holidays, and I can honestly say that this one falls into the very worst category of accommodation I have stayed in. The owners of this establishment should be ashamed of themselves for the gross misrepresentation presented on their website and very poor state of the hotel. They deserve to go out of business unless they up their game significantly. My one regret is that I had pre-paid for the suite, otherwise I would have checked out immediately, fortunately our stay was only two nights.

I hope this review has a twofold effect, 1, the owners take serious note of how not to run a hotel, and 2, it provides a warning to others that may consider a stay at this place, my advice, don't, it's truly awful!!!

Room Tip: Choose another hotel!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Tony D
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 4, 2013

This was not my first visit to the Winelodge but will definately be my last. The disco at the Winelodge started at 10pm and finished at 2am. It was so loud it made the floor and window vibrate. All I could hear was a constant thud for four hours. It was then followed by people shouting as they left the bar/club until 3.30am. The 1 bedroomed apartment was not well equiped. There were only 2 of everything, including plates. If I needed a roll with my meal it had to go on the same plate. There was no table or chairs so meals had to be eaten whilst on my lap. The whole place looked 'tired'. The manager (not surprisingly) doesn't work weekends so there was nobody to complain to only the bar staff. I would not recommend this to anybody.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Rosie846
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lowestoft
Travelodge Lowestoft Hotel
#1 of 10 in Lowestoft
Kingsleigh Guest House
Kingsleigh Guest House
#24 of 28 in Lowestoft

Been to Winelodge Suites? Share your experiences!