“The Barn - Leyland Country House”

Leyland Country House
Ranked #8 of 44 Lymington B&B and Inns
Colchester, United Kingdom
“The Barn - Leyland Country House”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

This negative review is based on 3 main areas:
The accommodation is rated as 4 star and neither the accommodation nor the owner's attitude could be described as anything near 4 star.
The accommodation was (and still is) being mis-sold: it is not as advertised on the web-site.
The owner took £300 from my credit card at the end of the holiday without my knowledge or consent.
Please take the time to read this review which I hope you will find helpful.
I stayed at 'The Barn', Leyland Country House, with my son at the beginning of July 2012. The price was agreed at £550 for one week (no breakfast included) which is the high end for the size and type of accommodation. I booked on the basis of the description and supporting photographs of 'The Barn' as advertised on the web site. This information was and still is inaccurate and the owner is mis selling this accommodation.
On making the telephone booking with the owner, Ms Cairnes, I advised her that I was looking for self catering accommodation and she suggested 'The Barn'. I particularly wanted this type of accommodation as I plan all our meals beforehand, shop and bring everything with me so that no time is wasted during the holiday and enabling me to cook what I wanted, when I wanted. I checked the details and the photos which showed that 'The Barn' had the necessary equipment for my requirements and the description reads "The Kitchen is equip with “all mod cons”, including washing machine, microwave, grill with a 2 ring electric hob, up to the minute oven, fridge and freezer".(cut and pasted from web site).
On arrival I was amazed to find that the 'up to the minute oven' had been removed and a swing bin stood in the gap. The advertised '2 ring electric hob' had been replaced with 2 FOR OUTDOOR USE ONLY camping butane gas burners which posed a significant health and safety risk (The Health and Safety Executive have advised Ms Cairnes to remove these).
The owner was nowhere to be found and, as there was no cooker, I was unable to cook the meal I had planned. I complained to 2 members of staff who advised me that there was a microwave and that Ms Cairnes would be informed of my complaint when she returned the following day. After a planned day out in the New Forest with friends, we returned to 'The Barn' and went in search of the owner. Ms Cairnes suggested that she did not know of my complaint and not only refused to listen but was hostile and abusive to myself and my son. She said that the microwave was also an oven and a grill (which did not work independently of the oven) and that "no-one else had complained". I politely informed her that this was not adequate self catering equipment and was not as advertised. She had ample time to inform me of the changes made before we came but had failed to do so and I was therefore not given the opportunity to make an informed decision on whether to accept the changes or not. She agreed that she should have let me know. I made her aware that I would not have booked this accommodation if I had been told of the removal of the cooker and changes to the equipment as it was not suitable for my requirements. I was left with no option but to use the dangerous gas burners and, without a conventional cooker or separate grill, I was extremely limited in what I could cook.
Ms Cairnes was paid a total of £350 (£200 deposit as requested by her and a further £150 cheque at the end of the holiday). I rejected Ms Cairnes' offer of a £20 discount and she finally accepted (and subsequently cashed) my cheque for £150 and she issued me with a signed receipt and wrote on it "full and final settlement". I therefore believed that this was the end of the matter.
Not only did Ms Cairnes cash both cheques totalling £350 but she also, WITHOUT MY KNOWLEDGE OR CONSENT, took a further two amounts (totalling £300) from my credit card making a grand total of £650! On taking this up with my credit card company and providing them with all the evidence of my payments and Ms Cairnes' signed receipt, they informed me that there would be no problem getting my money back. Unfortunately, due to the credit card company failing to send the correct documentation at the right time, Ms Cairnes was allowed to keep the illegally obtained £300. The credit card company did refund me my £300 as it was their error but I feel it is appalling that Ms Cairnes has been allowed to keep the money that she took from my credit card and that she makes no apology for doing this. According to previous negative reviews, this is not the first time she has taken money from credit cards without authorisation.
Ms Cairnes did not feel able to respond to any of the points raised in letters sent to her after the holiday in respect of mis-selling, providing dangerous equipment and taking money from my credit card without authorisation. Her only comment was that it was up to us to leave if we weren't satisfied with the accommodation but, according to her terms and conditions, NO REFUNDS WILL BE MADE so of course she would be happy for her guests to leave!
If you are looking for a professional, helpful service and correctly advertised accommodation - don't go here. Should you decide to ignore this review and give it a go, it might be wise to keep your credit card details to yourself!
A few other points you might like to take into consideration are:
No storage space.
Poorly equipped kitchen and badly scratched frying pan.
Kettle provided with brown sludge in bottom (replaced on request).
Owner's children/friends parked within a few feet of bedroom window playing loud music/revving engine.
Health and Safety issue - microwave on top of fridge/freezer with power lead hanging down and plugged into an extension lead.
No bathmat provided. Bath towels hard and definitely not luxury and were not replaced with fresh towels during the holiday.
Ants in shower (emerging from shower attachment on wall).
Bring own cleaning products/cloths or you will be charged for cleaning.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
18 Thank Holiday_Hep2012
leyland1, Owner at Leyland Country House, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Thank you for your review regarding the self-catering accommodation here at Leyland Country House. I am rather upset and confused as to why are you complaining nearly 6 months after staying with us, had there been such an issue, surely you would’ve posted your review immediately?

To those reading this review and deciding whether to stay at my bed and breakfast, I would like to take this opportunity to defend myself and clarify what happened over the course of your stay.

It was the height of the season at the end of July and you were staying in the beautiful Barn; it had just been refurbished, complete with new floorings, soft furnishings and a kitchen revamp. At the time and ever since everyone has been delighted with the barn. The views are stunning across the National Park, both inside the property and whilst relaxing in the private garden area. It is totally self -contained allowing you utter privacy.

1. The Issue with the Oven
- The reason the gas oven was removed from the barn was because 3 clients had previously left the gas running whilst out for the day and this was obviously both a health and safety and fire risk. The replacement oven was a multifunction surface top oven, recommended by health and safety. With regards to the description on my website it is correct. There is a fully up to the minute oven, perhaps not the one you were expecting but it is actually better than the previous one; not only can it be used as an oven it also functions separately as both a grill and a microwave if you wish. We recognise that you may want to use both the oven and microwave at the same time and so there is also a SEPARATE microwave installed in the barn.

2. The issue with the gas hobs
- Obviously the previous oven that was removed had gas hobs on top, therefore to ensure clients still have the same equipment available I had ordered in electric hobs for the barn. Unfortunately just before you arrived they broke due to a manufacturing fault, this was out of my hands to fix; rather than leave you without hobs I temporarily gave you two gas hobs which had been cleared to use inside by health and safety. I appreciate this wasn’t what you were expecting however I did discuss it with you on your arrival and explained the situation.

- Having reported us to the Health and Safety Department, I welcomed them with open arms to come and visit the accommodation. I showed the officer the faulty hobs and gas hobs replacements used during your stay. I was told they were fine to use inside while waiting for the replacement hobs. She commented on how delightful the accommodation was.

3. The Issue with the payment for your bill
- When a client reaches the end of their stay no money has been taken until they decide on their payment method, yes I have their credit card details for security against the booking however at the end of the week when you came to pay the balance for your 7 night stay no money had been transferred in relation to your stay.

- We reserve the right to charge a deposit against damages, which is never charged until the client completes their holiday and only then if damages have been incurred and discussed with the client. The deposit for your stay was £200, as we had your card details no cheque was needed. However we received a cheque in the post from you, prior to your stay. Our policy when this happens is to contact the client and ask if they want the cheque held or sent back. You told us to hold the cheque.

- When you came to settle your bill, you were very aggressive and told me that you wanted the holiday for FREE and refused to pay any of the £550 for the weeks stay. I very calmly raised the point that it is illegal to stay in accommodation and then refuse to pay for it at the close of your holiday. You then said you were only prepared to pay £350 in cheques for the week, we had to ‘take it or leave it’. You also told me you would be then be cancelling the £350 in cheques when you got home! Thus meaning you had paid nothing for the holiday… I had never been put in this situation!

- You left 2 cheques amounting to £350 (The £200 deposit cheque and a further cheque for £150) and left my premises
- I called my card provider to ask what I should do. I was advised to call the police however I wasn’t keen as I felt this was over zealous. They told me to charge the balance of the stay not covered by the 2 cheques to your card. This came to £200, however £300 was taken as a caution over your claim that the cheques would be cancelled. I then cashed the cheques as your bill was in fact £550 and it was you that had decided you were only prepared to pay £350, only after we reminded you it was illegal to not settle your bill.

- Overall you got a £50 discount from the £550 as once all money had cleared to a total of £650 I sent you a reimbursement cheque for £150, which you cashed. On top of the £50 discount you also received a £300 refund from your credit card company. Therefore you only paid £250 for your holiday in total.

4. The Issue regarding being charged for checking out early
- It is not true when you say in your review that I said should you wish to leave you would be charged for the seven nights. I offered for you to check out free of charge, no cost to yourself as you were obviously not happy. I also offered you your deposit cheque back but you refused to leave and said you wanted to stay. By staying you accepted the accommodation and the cost for your holiday. Nobody forced you to stay, if the accommodation was that bad why did you not check out?

5. The Issue with regards to my ‘attitude’
- I beg to differ when you say I was unhelpful with regards to the hobs, both I and two members of staff helped to explain to you how the gas hobs should be used, for over an hour. You refused to even try the multipurpose oven and so I offered my own family oven for your use on two occasions. I would like to take a moment here to let you know that as a B and B owner I was appalled with your attitude towards myself and my staff, I understand the mantra ‘ The customer is always right’ however in this case both my staff and I felt threatened by you and quite frankly intimidated by your aggressive nature.

Not only were you rude to us but you also stormed into other clients accommodation demanding to look at their facilities. They were very taken aback by your attitude, one client (who has been in the hotel industry for twenty years) even asked to speak to me with regards to your behaviour.

6. The issue with car parking and noise
- In July none of my children were old enough to hold a driving licence! You stayed in the summer holidays when all places are busy. I cannot be held responsible for other clients playing music from their cars. If I do hear clients being noisy then of course we ask them to be a little quieter.

7. The Issue with Cleaning products
- Cleaning products are provided in both self-catering units free of charge to ensure that you have cleaning materials for the duration of your stay. The cost that you are referring to is a cleaning service offered to those who either do not want to clean the property after their stay or are unable to. It is not an included charge and is only ever charged without the customer asking for the service should the property have been trashed; for example a previous charge was for stained carpets/ crayon on the walls/ biro on the floors and damaged wardrobes!

8. Why I have taken the time to write this reply
I have taken the time to write this reply as I feel that Trip Advisor is being used more and more continuously for people to vent their frustration at things that have nothing to do with our independent businesses. You are writing this review 7 months after you stayed, I question why all of a sudden you have decided to share your view, and I also question how much you truly remember of your stay as certain things you have claimed are untrue. In my opinion you have probably had a bad day and so have decided to take it out on me and my business!

It upsets when I receive reviews like this because as you can see from my Trip advisor page this is only the 6th review like it in the nearly 8 years I have been trading. Considering the number of people we have to stay here that isn’t even 1 bad review per annum.

On occasions we cannot please certain people and as a human I can only do my best. I feel the issue with you when you stayed was a personal one rather than the state of my self-catering unit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

Leylands is in a great location for getting to Lymington town - about 5 mins on foot. It also has lovely surroundings-all you can see is rolling hills and woods, so perfect if you like long walks in the countryside.

The people are lovely-we met 2 ladies that seemed to be running the house and they were really friendly and willing to help with anything we needed.

Our bedroom (called the white room) was nice, but a little cramped. It also seemed to go from being really cold to really hot overnight. There was a mini heater in the room but it didn't seem to help. However the room itself was good-it had a tv, ipod dock, space to hang clothes and a nice coffee machine. Couple of things to note, the room had a private bathroom but it wasn't connected to the room. It was located next to the bedroom, so you had to walk down the hall every time you wanted to use it. It was a beautiful bathroom but I didn't enjoy having to risk bumping into strangers in my dressing gown everytime I needed to go to the loo! Also, it was pretty noisy. We were located on the hallway and because it had wooden floors you could hear everything as people walked past.

All in all it was a great place to stay and we would probably go back but because of the room we stayed in, we felt it was slightly overpriced. If we did go bk we'd ask for a different room as there were others that were the same price.

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank Nlcbateman
leyland1, Front Office Manager at Leyland Country House, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Thank you for your review. The room you stayed in was The Gold Room. This is a very popular room, as it has a bath and a double shower. Yes the bathroom is seperate, which we have found suits a lot of guests, the odd one does not like it. You stayed at New Year, for one night , paying £55 per person including a full English breakfast.No extra charge for smoked salmon, we cater for special diets, veggies(food all cooked seperately) and we buy in items that a client wishes to have if we do not offer it. Not many places can say they offer this service.

This is exceptional value for the time of year you picked to come. Our rooms are immaculate, with all the necessary 'extras' that we offer all guests. New year is a prime time for everyone to go away and therefore you encounter a busy than normal experience. Lymington is beautiful place to visit, very English, with delightful shops and lovely locals that make all our visitors welcome. Do come back again maybe at a slight less busy time.
Thank you for your review.
Rotherham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

we booked to stay here for 1 night olny as we were travelling to the Isle of Wight the next day and after a 6 hour drive with 2 young children we thought it would get our holiday off to a fabulous week, and we wern't disapointed! We arrived at around 5pm and everything was ready for us. the kids were quite safe running around on the massive lawn, we played tag rugby,footy, and then had a go on the trampoline. I wish we could have stayed longer and we are hoping to go back next year in the spring.

Room Tip: we had the annex that sleeps 6
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
leyland1, Owner at Leyland Country House, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Thank you very much for your review, we are delighted you had a ball! The lawn is a great asset with children as you can relax, knowing that they are safe.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

We had the barn and it was great, clean, modern but charming. The owners are lovely, the place is lovely, the surroundings are beautiful and the breakfast was great!!! Not a single thing to complain about.... We're staying here again :)

• Stayed December 2012
What a star review. Please do come again! We look forward to welcoming you again to Leyland,
Yeovil, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

A small B and B in Lymington. Good standard of accommodation with a lovely bathroom. Athoughthis isnt a Hotel you pay Hotel prices. In return you get good accommodation and a good breakfast.
What it does lack is the owners havent grasped that they are charging hotel prices and not always putting their customers first, The check in time is 5.00 and on the occassion we stayed we arrived at 5.00 on a cold wet evening only to find the property in darkness. Twenty minutes later the owner turned up and although I appreciate the reasons they gave for being out I did have to ask why they hadnt made alternative arrangements for someone to be there to greet us.
In winter the property is just too far out of Lymington to be able to walk to the town.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Purple room a lovely room the only drawback it was directly below their sons bedroo...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
leyland1, Owner at Leyland Country House, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Thank you for your review on Leyland Country House. We are always looking to improve our product so that our clients have the best time possible.

The night you arrived The New Forest was in the middle of the worst floods we have experienced for as long as anyone could remember. I was at the property until 4.45 pm and just popped out to pick up a client. The client was delayed due to the floods. I had left the front door unlocked so you could make yourself at home in the breakfast room if I got delayed, which I was not expecting. You said the door was open but you decided to wait in your car. We kept you waiting for exactly 13 minutes. What should have been a 5 minute pick up turned in to 25 minutes due to the adverse weather trying to assist another person!
I did apologise and tried very hard to make up for 13 minute wait. However nothing we did was acceptable. It is a shame but on occasions we just cannot please everyone no matter how hard we try. I am surprised given the weather you did not need a lift in Ben Ainsile boat!

We are priced very reasonably, you paid £68 per night for a double room, with an exceptional room with breakfast of Full English, smoked salmon, Omlettes, pancakes, fresh fruit, cereal, toast, fresh coffee, yoghurts and anything else you wished or wanted for as we do buy in special requests all the time. Here at Leyland Country House we offer full table service, everything is cooked from fresh and we use the best produce we can source. Our award winning Sway sausage is a National winner! You paid more in a chain pub for lunch with a bottle of wine!
We have only ever been a Bed and Breakfast. Many of our clients return again and again as they know we have very high standards and we try very hard to ensure we meet all your requests. I did reduce your bill by £20 which I really feel was unnecessary but out of good will and wishing for you to go 'away happy' we tried to redeem the 13 minute short coming!
Please do come again and as always you will find that unless it is an 'Act of God' their is always somebody here to greet and greet you and your guests.
Thank you.
Banbury
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

We've just recently returned from a long weekend in the new forest and had the pleasure of staying at Leyland country house. It is a very welcoming place with Liese and her team making us feel very welcome from the moment we arrived. The pink room that we stayed in was lovely and clean and was cleaned for us daily. The breakfast was also fantastic and made from naturally sourced ingredients. Leyland House is just a short walk away from the town centre and ideally located for walks in the lovely countryside. You can also use the swimming pool and sauna/steam room at the nearby McDonald hotel for a very small fee.
I would definitely recommend staying there and we'd definitely return. Rob & Karen

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi Ron and karen
Thank you for your delightful review, it was our pleasure to look after you and we are so pleased you had a lovely time
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

I had a lovely time at Leyland Country House when visiting Lymington for a friend's wedding. Leise and her family are very friendly and made us feel most welcome. The Purple Room is large and immaculate, beautifully designed I felt at house straight away. Breakfast was also excellent, made from local ingredients and we enjoyed chatting to Leise and the fellow guests. I definitely recommend this B&B for a relaxing stay in Lymington, much nicer than the Elmers Court Hotel down the road where the wedding was!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lymington
Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort
The Crown Manor House Hotel
Cottage Lodge Hotel
Cottage Lodge Hotel
#1 of 11 in Brockenhurst

Been to Leyland Country House? Share your experiences!