“Only had a snack and ran !”
Review of The Mayflower

and 1 more site!
The Mayflower
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Lymington
Reviewed August 29, 2010

My wife and I were looking for a quiet night away, near boats and water. We arrived at 12.30 so thought we'd have a spot of lunch first. Thank god we did, otherwise we'd have spent proper money with these people.

The beer was flat (Heineken), the Panini was raw - i.e. not cooked and all raw dough with undercooked bacon and solid Brie - the salmon sandwich was like a kindergarten project. All in all, terrible.

They had a BBQ on the terrace, the sun was out, it should have been happy days. Without exception, every table within earshot were moaning and complaining to one another about the quality and value. Beyond earshot, we saw customers inspecting their food, turning their noses up and leaving. Which when you consider a bacon bap was £6 was a costly mistake for all.

I've read elsewhere that this is run by a French Couple. They may manage it but we witnessed a British team calling the shots and conducting a meeting at a table in the garden. I believe this pub/hotel is part of a small group.

I can't say enough bad about the food and service, we complained about the flat lager but nothing changed, we complained about the Panini and it returned hot from the press - unfortunately it was now just a few millimetres thick and completely tasteless.

We overheard a couple discussing their room with an adjacent table, they had nothing good to say other than the view.

So we left before checking in.

Avoid it, don't waste your 'hard-earned'.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mike D

Reviewed December 20, 2009

The room overlooked the car park and was freezing when we arrived. For £95 a night that is a bit much. A bedside lamp needed a bulb which we ended up changing ourselves. It was comfortable enough but Stanwell House is the same price and much better. The pub is great as is the food but the accomodation is not good value.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MarkLanigan
Reviewed October 26, 2009

a good location some 15mins walk from Lymington High Street , but the rooms are a bit tired ,the food was ok but we suggest you pass on the coffee !!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FreedomLeics
Reviewed October 19, 2009

Three nights in this traditional English pub (surprisingly run by a French couple) allowed the time to assess all aspects of its offering.

The room we stayed in was well-furnished, clean and gave a view across the yacht club to the estuary and beyond. The bathroom was spacious with an excellent shower facility and sufficient surfaces upon which to spread toilet gear and the copious array of cosmetics meticulously arranged by my wife. A detail. Rarely in inn/pub/small hotel accommodation do you find clothes hooks on doors - here they were in evidence in both bedroom and bathroom.

Twice we ate in the restaurant. Both times, the food and service were of a high standard. For example, sirloin steaks were asked for medium rare and arrived exactly that - the benefit of French influence perhaps, or "a point" as they might say. The restaurant space, in open plan conjunction with the bar, provides plenty of space between tables (definitely not French!) and facilitates efficient service without discomfit to diners.

The bar offers a good range of beers, both traditional and lager, and is busy and friendly. There is a large garden facing onto the yacht club, with plenty of seating, separated from the restaurant by a conservatory.

The Mayflower is well-situated (10 minutes walk to the town centre) in a residential area and seems to be the hub of the local community, as well as harbour for yachts people.

Highly recommended (I have never given 5 stars to anything except to the cooking of my wife - force of circumstances!)

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 7, 2009

We only stayed one night but wish it could have been longer. Beautiful room with view of the Solent and extremely clean. The restaurant in the evening had a great menu with local caught fish and very helpful and friendly staff. Good value for money.
Our only criticism would be the time of breakfast being 8-9 Mon - Friday. Perhaps a bit longer woul be better.
We will definitely recommend this hotel to friends and hope to return ourselves one day.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 4, 2009

Rooms & plumbing are getting tired and its not good value for money. Very busy and noisey pub.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 29, 2008

If I could summarise my advice about the Mayflower it would be this – don’t go! In spite of the positive review below, my recent visit to the Mayflower has not inspired me wax lyrical about it’s virtues. Instead I will give you an honest appraisal of my stay, warts and all, so that if you do decide not to heed my advice not to go, you are at least forewarned.

I must state at this point that the Mayflower was not my first choice of hotel in Lymington, nor my 2nd, 3rd or 4th for that matter. It was my last and only choice having decided upon a weekend away this bank holiday with my partner at the last minute. We booked the four poster room, feeling rather confident based on the positive reviews on the forum.

First impressions of the Mayflower left a lot to be desired. The building is poorly maintained and in serious need of a fresh coat of paint. There is litter in the car park which itself is rather chaotic and shabby. The Mayflower is located near the quay and yachting marina. This sounds rather romantic but it is more old ladies in deck chairs that posh yachting types (neither of which appeal to be honest). There is a 15 minute walk into town which has a good selection of shops and restaurants. I’ve seen Lymington described as quaint but I’d limit this description to the tiny old town quay area, the rest of the town I found to be in need of an update, particularly around the quay and parks.

On arrival at the Mayflower we entered the bar and went to check in. The first thing that hits you in the Mayflower is the smell. It is a smell of disinfectant and dirty, grubby furnishings that greets you. The bar was busy and we had to jostle with customers waiting to pay for food at the bar. The woman who served us was friendly and helpful but the whole process was awkward being pushed aside by customers ferrying pints of beer to and fro and not exactly welcoming.

We were led through the bar to our room. On entering the staircase there was a new smell, musty rather like a retirement home. The stairwell was freshly decorated although already dated. The carpet was well worn and stained. We stayed the Beaulieu the only four poster room. The room is at the front of the hotel, with double aspect windows and is reasonably large. The furniture is cheap and cheerful, fake mahogany type. There is a desk, TV, tea and coffee making tray and sofa. The bed had scruffy curtains and chain-store linen. The synthetic, rather pathetic pillows had seen better days and the bed turned out to be quite uncomfortable. There is no trouser press, no biscuits or mineral water, hair dryer or bedside clock in the room. The sofa is a contradiction being both faded and stained. The whole room, with it’s peeling wall paper felt dirty and the standard was a lot lower than we had been led to believe.

The bathroom yielded another new smell. Reminiscent of a veterinary waiting room full of Labradors. I opened a window and managed to air the room a little. The bathroom had a decent shower with plenty of hot water but there was little attention to detail in the worn and rough towels and cheap toiletries.

Strangely there was no restaurant menu in the room despite the fact that the Mayflower boasts a busy restaurant. However a brief inspection told us that it was a pay and order, curry, burger and steak type restaurant. Not being fans of deep fried and bread crumbed food we decided to eat in town.

I should warn you that any romantic intentions staying the four poster room can be forgotten once you take into account that this room is right over the bar and is very noisy. Long after closing time the noise continues whilst staff continue to stack chairs and clear up.

Breakfast is served between 08:00 and 09:00 only. There is no room service or flexibility there. The breakfast itself was not that bad although the quality of ingredients could have lifted the meal all together. There is a reasonable choice of cereals, juice and milk. Toast was made with proper bread. The full English consisted of a sausage, egg, bacon, mushrooms and grilled tomato, all rather…deep fried. The restaurant itself had the same grubby feel and it kind of put me off the meal. The cleaner decided to vacuum the carpet through out the meal just to add to the ambience.

In general I could not wait to leave the Mayflower. I was very disappointed with my stay and will not be going back. The place is neither a quaint and cosy B&B nor the smart hotel it’s price tag leads you to believe. We paid £95 for our room with breakfast which I feel is overpriced. The public areas downstairs are smart and modern, whilst the rooms upstairs and cheap and dated – the whole place however is grubby and smelly, this combination did not work for me.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank SnowWhite78
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lymington
Passford House
The Crown Manor House Hotel
Burley Manor
Burley Manor
#1 of 2 in Burley

Been to The Mayflower? Share your experiences!