My wife and I were looking for a quiet night away, near boats and water. We arrived at 12.30 so thought we'd have a spot of lunch first. Thank god we did, otherwise we'd have spent proper money with these people.
The beer was flat (Heineken), the Panini was raw - i.e. not cooked and all raw dough with undercooked bacon and solid Brie - the salmon sandwich was like a kindergarten project. All in all, terrible.
They had a BBQ on the terrace, the sun was out, it should have been happy days. Without exception, every table within earshot were moaning and complaining to one another about the quality and value. Beyond earshot, we saw customers inspecting their food, turning their noses up and leaving. Which when you consider a bacon bap was £6 was a costly mistake for all.
I've read elsewhere that this is run by a French Couple. They may manage it but we witnessed a British team calling the shots and conducting a meeting at a table in the garden. I believe this pub/hotel is part of a small group.
I can't say enough bad about the food and service, we complained about the flat lager but nothing changed, we complained about the Panini and it returned hot from the press - unfortunately it was now just a few millimetres thick and completely tasteless.
We overheard a couple discussing their room with an adjacent table, they had nothing good to say other than the view.
So we left before checking in.
Avoid it, don't waste your 'hard-earned'.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the harbour of Lymington on the South Coast, The Mayflower is a stunning coastal inn which has superb dining and stylish rooms with seaside views. Our six bedrooms are beautifully finished, each with their own unique, comforting and contemporary twist. Sleep in the finest Egyptian cotton bed linen, bathe in beautiful Victorian roll-top baths and enjoy some down-time with a Nespresso while looking out over the Solent. Recently awarded a coveted AA Rosette, we pride ourselves in supporting all things British and all things local, so expect to dine on the finest ingredients that Hampshire and the beautiful South Coast have to offer. Our talented chefs have lovingly prepared a delicious menu, including beautiful seasonal dishes such as crab and lobster macaroni with spinach, morels and tarragon or Buffalo mozzarella, heirloom tomatoes, grilled pepper and basil bruschetta. With an extensive wine list, the best in class ales and a great selection of creative gin cocktails, we have something for everyone at The Mayflower. As a nation, we love to experience the outdoors with our food and drinks. Come summer time, our guests can enjoy our spacious garden, with a picture perfect coastal backdrop as far as the eye can see. The perfect location for al fresco dining. In the winter time, we have real log fires throughout the pub to keep you warm on the coldest of nights. We are conveniently located on the South Coast in Hampshire and are very near to the Isle of Wight and the New Forest - which are truly beautiful at any time of the year, and offer the best in sailing adventures, sightseeing and countryside pursuits. Whether it's a perfectly British Sunday lunch, a lazy afternoon in the garden with friends or a romantic getaway, make The Mayflower your destination of choice! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your The Mayflower reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Mayflower Hotel Lymington
- Mayflower Hotel Lymington
- The Mayflower Lymington, New Forest National Park Hampshire