The Mayflower
$154
$136
  • Pool
$145
South Lawn Hotel(Milford on Sea)
$110
PremierInn.com
$225
  • Breakfast included
  • Beachfront
Cottage Lodge Hotel(Brockenhurst)(Great Value!)
$101
$98
$200
$171
The Pig(Brockenhurst)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsthe pubroll top bathfresh milk deliveredsky tvyacht clubpiecoffee machinebeer gardenbooked a tableopen firemid week breakonly stayed one nightcoastal pathfantastic breakfastshort breaknature reservegreat shower
Reviewed August 7, 2009

We only stayed one night but wish it could have been longer. Beautiful room with view of the Solent and extremely clean. The restaurant in the evening had a great menu with local caught fish and very helpful and friendly staff. Good value for money.
Our only criticism would be the time of breakfast being 8-9 Mon - Friday. Perhaps a bit longer woul be better.
We will definitely recommend this hotel to friends and hope to return ourselves one day.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 4, 2009

Rooms & plumbing are getting tired and its not good value for money. Very busy and noisey pub.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 29, 2008

If I could summarise my advice about the Mayflower it would be this – don’t go! In spite of the positive review below, my recent visit to the Mayflower has not inspired me wax lyrical about it’s virtues. Instead I will give you an honest appraisal of my stay, warts and all, so that if you do decide not to heed my advice not to go, you are at least forewarned.

I must state at this point that the Mayflower was not my first choice of hotel in Lymington, nor my 2nd, 3rd or 4th for that matter. It was my last and only choice having decided upon a weekend away this bank holiday with my partner at the last minute. We booked the four poster room, feeling rather confident based on the positive reviews on the forum.

First impressions of the Mayflower left a lot to be desired. The building is poorly maintained and in serious need of a fresh coat of paint. There is litter in the car park which itself is rather chaotic and shabby. The Mayflower is located near the quay and yachting marina. This sounds rather romantic but it is more old ladies in deck chairs that posh yachting types (neither of which appeal to be honest). There is a 15 minute walk into town which has a good selection of shops and restaurants. I’ve seen Lymington described as quaint but I’d limit this description to the tiny old town quay area, the rest of the town I found to be in need of an update, particularly around the quay and parks.

On arrival at the Mayflower we entered the bar and went to check in. The first thing that hits you in the Mayflower is the smell. It is a smell of disinfectant and dirty, grubby furnishings that greets you. The bar was busy and we had to jostle with customers waiting to pay for food at the bar. The woman who served us was friendly and helpful but the whole process was awkward being pushed aside by customers ferrying pints of beer to and fro and not exactly welcoming.

We were led through the bar to our room. On entering the staircase there was a new smell, musty rather like a retirement home. The stairwell was freshly decorated although already dated. The carpet was well worn and stained. We stayed the Beaulieu the only four poster room. The room is at the front of the hotel, with double aspect windows and is reasonably large. The furniture is cheap and cheerful, fake mahogany type. There is a desk, TV, tea and coffee making tray and sofa. The bed had scruffy curtains and chain-store linen. The synthetic, rather pathetic pillows had seen better days and the bed turned out to be quite uncomfortable. There is no trouser press, no biscuits or mineral water, hair dryer or bedside clock in the room. The sofa is a contradiction being both faded and stained. The whole room, with it’s peeling wall paper felt dirty and the standard was a lot lower than we had been led to believe.

The bathroom yielded another new smell. Reminiscent of a veterinary waiting room full of Labradors. I opened a window and managed to air the room a little. The bathroom had a decent shower with plenty of hot water but there was little attention to detail in the worn and rough towels and cheap toiletries.

Strangely there was no restaurant menu in the room despite the fact that the Mayflower boasts a busy restaurant. However a brief inspection told us that it was a pay and order, curry, burger and steak type restaurant. Not being fans of deep fried and bread crumbed food we decided to eat in town.

I should warn you that any romantic intentions staying the four poster room can be forgotten once you take into account that this room is right over the bar and is very noisy. Long after closing time the noise continues whilst staff continue to stack chairs and clear up.

Breakfast is served between 08:00 and 09:00 only. There is no room service or flexibility there. The breakfast itself was not that bad although the quality of ingredients could have lifted the meal all together. There is a reasonable choice of cereals, juice and milk. Toast was made with proper bread. The full English consisted of a sausage, egg, bacon, mushrooms and grilled tomato, all rather…deep fried. The restaurant itself had the same grubby feel and it kind of put me off the meal. The cleaner decided to vacuum the carpet through out the meal just to add to the ambience.

In general I could not wait to leave the Mayflower. I was very disappointed with my stay and will not be going back. The place is neither a quaint and cosy B&B nor the smart hotel it’s price tag leads you to believe. We paid £95 for our room with breakfast which I feel is overpriced. The public areas downstairs are smart and modern, whilst the rooms upstairs and cheap and dated – the whole place however is grubby and smelly, this combination did not work for me.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank SnowWhite78
Reviewed February 19, 2008

I wanted to take my beloved wife away for a night on our way home from visiting the family over half term and having found that the top-rated hotel here on tripadvisor was closed tried this one out. Turns out it's a very nice hotel at a reasonable rate with lovely rooms and excellent pub food - I had the madras which came with rice, naan, poppadom, raita, mango chutney and salad for £8. The room itself was excellent with a large bath and in a very good state of repair. We were expecting some snubs from yachting ponces but the atmosphere was excellent and we cannot fault this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank theryall
Reviewed November 28, 2007

Booked the Mayflower after reading the one review in Tripadvisor and thought that we would give it ago as we could not get in to the Cottage where we had stayed before. We booked the Four Poster room over the phone as we had just planned to get away before I had surgery. On arrival we were told that we were in the Family Room, told them that I had booked the Four Poster and was told that someone else was now staying in that room! We were led through the bar area and upstairs to the rooms. The room was large but a bit old fashioned not contemporary, the bathroom was a good size but did have black mold around the shower panel. We choose to eat in the restaurant and went down early. The food was very good and the restaurant very busy. We had a few drinks then went up to our room. In the corridor there was a funny smell like a old peoples home that we commented on. Its in a good location close to the estuary and town that we walked into, it takes about 15 - 20 minutes. The room could do with some blackout curtains as it was facing a road. The bar underneath us was a bit noisey. Staff very pleasent in bar and restaurant.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple