“Pleasantly surprised”
Review of The Mayflower

The Mayflower
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Lymington
Reviewed November 19, 2013

Friends recommended this hotel as it is in a great location ad dog friendly. They go regularly and we can be quite fussy. But from the moment we arrived we felt comfortable. We were greeted by Sam who showed us to our room and explained the format re coming and going etc. the room was very pleasant, welcoming, clean, huge bathroom and great view. Kettle on the dresser with plenty of tea, coffee, milk, hot chocolate - and re stocked. There was not a hair dryer but I asked and it was delivered to the room in minutes. Wardrobe with ample hangers for a weekend break. We arrived quite late on Friday so drank and ate in the bar, presentation good and tasted lovely. I was tired so I retired to the room with the dog and took the rest of my bottle ;) my husband continued his conversation with some lovely people in the bar. It is like a big friendly house. Breakfast was good quality, plenty of choice - and staff very attentive without being to intrusive. Parking fine - right outside and safe. You can walk to the shops / near by restaurants and bars, as well as Lyndhurst is only 10/15 minute drive away. Loved it and we will be back. Thank you

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank scantheman_9

Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

We had a family meal for a very special occasion at the Mayflower. The food & the service were at best average, for food that was higher priced!
We had a mix of starters, mains & deserts. Not all are as described. The roast was dry & tasted of yesterday's re-heated potatoes, the sizler was good, but the chips were just straight out the fryer frozen chips. I would expect more for the price. Average at best....

Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Was slightly concern reading other reviews but they were very misleading. The room I booked five rooms for members of the family and all the rooms were clean and well presented ours was a very large four poster.The breakfast was lovely and huge with lots of toast and there was a lovely view from the dining room. The evening meal was also good and very reasonably priced. Will definitely return.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 18, 2013

The Mayflower in Lymington is a perfect place to explore the New Forest,day trip to Isle Of Wight and to Paulton Park.
The Mayflower has excellent rooms,there are only six so best to book early.The staff are very friendly and the food is excellent.
But beware if you have small children that some of the clientele complain if your children make too much noise.

Room Tip: Quiter rooms are on the back if you don't like music which is on some nights with artists playin...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank TonyH096
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I booked a one night stay at this pub, but have to say that after reading some of the reviews was tempted to cancel but we decided that as it was just one night we should be OK. We are really glad that we decided to give it a try for ourselves as we really enjoyed our stay. The room and en suite were both very clean and spacious with a quayside view, We had a lovely steak meal in the evening, and were looked after very well by the very attentive staff. Because we had such a good meal, we actually stopped by for lunch after sightseeing the area in the morning, before we set off home.

The moral of the story is sometimes it is better to try something for yourself, and not to always listen to somebody else's opinion.

Room Tip: Salterns is the room we had.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Joy S
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Tried on many occasions but usually end up with poor food, staff can be a little short with customers, although haven't experienced that myself. They have a nice sunny garden with good play area for kids.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Captkjl
Reviewed July 12, 2013

After a long drive from Stoke-on-Trent searching for a room with a sea view - found this - ideal!
or so we thought!
Room (Ferry View) spacious and clean, lovely view as name suggests. Booked for the Monday night and Tuesday requested we stay for 3 more.
Problems started; first night starter and main meal served at same time, third night ordered whisky, dash of lemonade, NO ice, arrived drowned, WITH ice, TWICE!
Thursday night arrived back 8.30sh after spending the day with friends, went up to our room and could not believe our eyes, all our belongings had been removed, someone else's case on the bed.
An embarrassing and humilitating conversation took place in the bar with the Duty Manager,
Aneta, she being the one who booked us in on the Monday and the one I spoke to the following morning., She was adamant we had only booked 2 extra nights, I was adamant it was 3, I saw her write 3x£85 in the Register, there appeared to be no other bookings on the page. As she passed the Housekeeper in the bar (on her way to get me a hairdryer and jug of water) I heard Aneta tell her 2 more nights. I caught up with Aneta in the corridor near our room after she had delivered the hairdryer and water and told her it was 3 nights not 2. It was no use arguing further.
She presented the bill, I immediately noticed drinks that we had not had, she shouted at one of the bar staff for this error. She offered to go to a nearby B&B to see if they had a room for us.
We declined this offer as by now we were in no mood to be pleasant to anyone. I asked where our luggage was, she said they had packed it and kept it safe, I was upset at the thought of strangers going through our belongings especially our 'dirties'.
I paid the revised bill, we asked for them to fetch our luggage and went outside to our car. Aneta and a young man duly arrived with it and put it in our boot. We just stood there in complete shock as to what was happening. We drove onto the Quay to calm down, I decided to look at the bill again , we had been charged a total of 4 nights !!! Back to the bar much to the amusement of the staff, showed her the bill, her only comment was "o she (?) must have made a mistake" not a word of apology, she gave me my refund in cash. I said a sarcastic 'thank you' and we left.
Have since e-mailed the Manager asking her for comments regarding the fiasco. Naturally I had a reply that made me out to be a liar, according to what she had been told they had already booked us into a B&B, also the Housekeeper had stood next to us when I requested more nights.
So if you want a sea view B&B in a pub with reasonably priced food and drinks and staff that listen to customers requests GO ELSEWHERE but if you prefer to pay £17.50 for a bottle of House wine and £4.30 a pint of Guinness, be humiliated and embarrassed, thrown out and branded a liar,by all means book into THE MAYFLOWER, LYMINGTON.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Pam186378
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lymington
Passford House
Cottage Lodge Hotel
Cottage Lodge Hotel
#1 of 10 in Brockenhurst
The Crown Manor House Hotel

Been to The Mayflower? Share your experiences!