“Poor food and grumpy service”
Review of The Mayflower

and 1 more site!
The Mayflower
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Lymington
Reviewed July 18, 2012

For a pub in such a great location you would expect much better service and food. The manageress is very miserable and only seems to be bothered about getting money in the till. I had the cheese and bacon burger for £8.25 and it tasted like one brought from a cheap kebab shop - they even use that orange coloured plastic cheese! For pudding I had ice cream, four scoops but for £5.50!! Service with a smile would help along with a major improvement in the quality of the ingredients used to create their expensive pub food. I won't be returning anytime soon.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank wacko_1983

Reviewed April 28, 2012

We visited The Mayflower for lunch. The venue is great but the food was terrible. The pies had obviously been reheated a few times. Don't waste your time.

Stayed: April 2012
3  Thank Albanylee
Reviewed April 23, 2012

We booked two family rooms for a Friday and Saturday night along with some friends. When we arrived I was told there was no heating in the room. We were told by one of the French staff that the heating had not been working for days. They provided us with an inadequate electric heater. We were then told that a band had been booked for Friday night. The band would be playing right beneath our family room. The noise was unbearable up until midnight. My four year old did not go to sleep until after the band had finished. We were not pre warned about this. We certainly would have found alternative accommodation had we known the band had been booked.
The rooms were grim. Ours had a huge stain on the carpet along with stains on the walls and doors. All window seals were mouldy. Our ceiling light did not work and the room smelt damp. We were not impressed. The standard was terrible.
The food was just average. The full english breakfast was ok but there were no other breakfast alternatives offered apart from cereal.
The french staff were rude, dismissive and unwilling to accept that their standard of customer service was poor.
I would not recommend this accommodation to a family. Infact there are plenty of alternatives in the area....book one of those instead to avoid disappointment and wasting your hard earned cash.

Room Tip: Do not book the family rooms. They are of poor standard and above where the bands play.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Angela795
Reviewed April 15, 2012

Have been coming here for years and never complained before even though the food has always been average. But having visited here today, I feel so angry and disgusted at both level of service we recieved and the way in which I was spoken to I feel I have no other choice! The food was terrible, cold, chewy slop! When I approached the Frenchman at the till to make a complaint he was arrogant and rude and dismissed me immediately refusing to even consider giving me a discount or refund.

Is it that as we are not of the yachting niche that we do not deserve the same treatment? Having looked at the previous comments on here I take solace in knowing we weren't the only people to be treated this way!

Sadly it seems that not enough people read these reviews as business still seems to be thriving at the Mayflower! I don't understand why.

We shall never return nor recommend this joke of a public house.

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank MarzT
Reviewed January 23, 2012

I love this venue. Great all year round and the live music on a Friday night is a lovely weekly event.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank lovetolife298
Reviewed January 2, 2012

Stayed one night for a business trip to IOW. Wasn't made to feel at all welcome here. I think you need a yatch and talk with a plum in your mouth to be appreciated.
Generally looked un cared for with overflowing rubbish bins in the car park. The room was very dated and badly in need of new carpets and linen.
Breakfast was a very average affair with no fresh fruit offerred.
On the up side the steak I had in the evening was really, really good.
As they were charging £85 B+B I would have expected more, especially as they were clearly not busy. Very handy for the ferry, but then, so are alot of places.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank MikeH81
Reviewed September 26, 2011

lovely setting but the food was not good very little choice
my husband had the sea bass and the sauce was to overpowering
expensive forwhat we had

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lymington
Passford House
The Crown Manor House Hotel
Burley Manor
Burley Manor
#1 of 2 in Burley

Been to The Mayflower? Share your experiences!