“My 50th Birthday”

GreenLeadersSilver level
North Conway, New Hampshire
“My 50th Birthday”
Reviewed May 11, 2014

My husband and I decided on the morning of 10th May - my 50th birthday to go away on the spur of the moment. We chose the Macdonald Elmer due to the lovely photos and the good reviews. We were booked in by a lovely lady over the phone and when I told her it was my birthday she said 'oh they are really good there, you will probably have something nice laid on, I will make a note of it on your booking.'
When we checked in nothing was said, not even Happy Birthday so was a bit disappointed. There was certainly nothing nice laid on.
However, our stay was great, we had lunch in the steak house which was delicious, we had our evening meal and apart from one of the starters being the wrong order this was a lovely evening. Lovely waitresses and I have never been called m'lady in my life!!
The breakfast was delicious and loads of it and our room was clean and comfortable.
Would we go back.........I think we will.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
gmelmers, General Manager at Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, May 24, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your very constructive review posted on trip advisor. Please accept my apologies for the mistake which resulted in our team special treat for your 50th Birthday. Please do not hesitate to contact me for further details as I would like to ensure we retrain the member of our team which did not communicate this information.
We always try to make our guests celebrations extra special and again I am sorry we could not do this on this occasion.
I was pleased to read that the team looked after you in the Waterford Restaurant, that you enjoyed the room and our great breakfast.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back and this time exceed your expaectations.

Resort General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed May 10, 2014

We booked Macdonald Elmore hotel as part of RCI time sharing . A beautiful hotel , lovely location . Very nice heated pool and spa . Amazing trees and huge gardens overlooking the pier . The apartment was very cosy , comfortable and well equipped , clean and artistic . The separate bedroom was spacious . Enjoyed our walks in the vast property . Kitchen had all the facilities . Really enjoyed our stay . One of the best RCI property . Will go back any day .

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Sushmash
Dear guest,

Thank you for your very great review posted on trip advisor website. As a RCI Gold Crown resort the quality of our apartments is second to none. I was also great to read that you really enjoyed your stay, Lymington and the New Forest.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon at the Resort.

Lymington
Reviewed May 5, 2014

I just wanted to write a review 're spa and clubhouse. We as a family are members of this resort. The food is always good, staff very polite and helpful. I have just used the spa for the first time. Very impressed, had geleration nail manicure, Georgia was just lovely, very friendly and professional. My nails look fantastic, really really pleased. Have booked for two weeks time for a repeat. What better recommendation could you want. Never stayed in rooms as we are local, but looks lovely.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank Loraine B
Dear guest,

Thank you for your very great review posted on trip advisor website. I was really pleased to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your treatment with Georgina and I have fed that back to her. I am glad that you will use our Spa services from now and I hope that we will always be able to exceed your expectations.

Fareham, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 5, 2014

We booked a family room at the very last minute as a bank holiday treat. Whilst aware at booking stage the accommodation was outside of the main building (something we normally avoid), the lodge style rooms were very clean, spacious and exceptionally comfortable and the separate bedroom for children worked out as a real treat for them. The indoor pool was big enough to keep everyone amused for a couple of sessions and the general setting of the hotel is stunning.
The ambience of the hotel is more 4 star than 3 and one would imagine the outdoor pool and refreshments would be great in the summer months.
The only slight disappointment was an evening meal in the Scottish Steak House on Sunday evening. By the time we arrived after a visit to Lymington there were only four other tables still eating. A language barrier I think, hindered our efforts to request missing cutlery and only a visit to the kitchen ourselves produced the elusive vinegar. We are still waiting for the fruit salad.
Breakfast on Monday also seemed a little disorganised. The breakfast manager himself appeared to be doing nearly everything single handed. It would have been comical had people not been queuing - something quite unacceptable at a Macdonald hotel.
However, this aside, as a connoisseur of hotel breakfasts the Elmers Court does not disappoint. Fine ingredients, great choice and plenty of it!
Despite the poor experience in the Scottish Steak House we will almost certainly be returning and look forward to trying the Waterford Restaurant next time.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank juleseyboy
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for another very constructive review on this website. I was pleased that you had a great stay and enjoyed most of your experience including our facilities and breakfast. Please accept my apologies for the poor service you experienced in the Scottish Steak Club, we are aware of the situation and have addressed this issue to avoid any further guests’ disappointments.
Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you in the very near future as you mentionned.

Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 28, 2014

I booked myself and my mum for a Spring break 1 night stay, and although the photos look good and part of the hotel is simply beautiful our room was slightly 'grubby' The walls by the mirror were marked where the tea and coffee box had obviously marked it which could easily be fixed with a bit of paint. There was tea stains on the wall and the dressing table which could of been wiped with a wet cloth and there was dust all over the skirting boards and underneath the dressing table. Which clearly shows the cleaning standards aren't very high, I know its only 3* but those things are simple errors that could of been dealt with easily and should be daily routine. But I have to comment how nice the shower was and the views in the garden are incredible. the only other thing that would of been nice would of been to have a table and chairs on the decking to sit in the nice weather outside of the room. Now In the room it states clearly that you can call room service for free fresh milk. We called and requested the milk and it was never brought to us. However all the staff at the hotel were extremely friendly and helpful apart from that occasion. We each had two treatments in the spa, a hot stone and facial and they were both simply amazing. Probably one of the best facials I have ever had, and the therapist I had was lovely, very professional. So I definitely recommend the spa, Although I would recommend checking when you arrive that your treatment is booked because ours was not and had to book again, (thank god they had space.) and then when we arrived only the facials were booked in not the massage, which is why I find it strange why the leisure reception take the booking and not the actual spa. There was rather alot of children too , which made the experience slightly less relaxing... now Free wifi is always a bonus! The breakfast was great. Presentation and selection for breakfast was fantastic! definitely the best selection I have seen. We had dinner quite late so it was lovely and quiet in a beautiful room, and it was very tasty! really good food! We didn't have to wait long at all and the waiter was very polite. Overall a really nice stay with a wonderful experience, Just hope that they pick up on the simple cleaning errors!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
gmelmers, General Manager at Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, May 3, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your constructive feedback left on Trip Advisor. I was pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay however was concerned to learn of the cleaning issues experienced. I can assure you that this is not our usual standards. Please accept my apologies for this and I can assure you that after sharing your feedback with our Head House Keeper we have taken necessary actions to ensure of no further guests disappointment.
Thank you for recommending our Spa treatments and please accept my apologies for the confusion with your bookings again I have shared this comments with the Spa Manager and she will retrain both Spa and Leisure desk team.
We hope to welcome you back very soon.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

We have a relaxing week at Elmer's the restaurant does great food in a lovely old part of the building. It's very child friendly and the room was lovely. The bed was big and sooo comfortable. The spa is a little dated but the treatments were great and a great price. Service was very good can't complain about anything.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for another great review on the trip advisor website. I was pleased to read that you really enjoyed your week stay. Thanks you also for recommending our Spa which is getting really popular and has restricted space so we would recommend for bookings to be done in advance to avoid any disappointment. We really look forward to welcoming you in the near future.

Reviewed April 27, 2014

This is only the second time I have written a review on a hotel, and felt this was worthy enough to take time out and write a second.
Having visited Elmers Court twice before we felt it worthy of a 3rd visit. Like the previous two occassions the staff were very friendly and accomodation very clean and spacious enough for two adults and two children.
I feel a 3 star rating is harsh and having stayed in other 4 star venues, this is also worthy of an extra star.
Myself, wife and two children stayed in the chalet style accommodation and will do so again.
The grounds were stunning and walked them every morning before and after breakfast.
With regards to the location, it is ideal only being a short distance to the ferry going to isle of wight, we walked to the ferry (only 5 minutes away) and went over as foot passengers saving money on taking the car and parking the other side. The tour bus on the other side runs every half hour.
May I thank all the staff again at Elmers Court and look forward to making a 4th visit this year.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Andrew R
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great review left on the Trip Advisor website. It is great for the team to read such positive comments as they work so hard at exceeding customer expectations and they would like to thank you in return.
Thank you for mentioning our ideal location and stunning grounds as they are such an asset to our Resort.
We really look forward to welcoming you in the very near future.

Resort General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lymington
Passford House
#3 of 11 in Brockenhurst
Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa
Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in New Milton

Been to Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!