“Do not treat yourself to a spa treatment!”

Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Lymington
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 17, 2013

For the money that we paid, £225 per night, our stay was not worth the money at all! Although the room we stayed in appeared to be newly decorated, looked good and was of a larger size, you could hear every slight knock or bang coming from the neighbours on both sides, which was very disturbing. We booked the hotel based on reviews on tripadvisor and because of the spa facilities that appeared beautiful, professional and relaxing on the internet, to celebrate or sixth wedding anniversary. The spa treatments, which we paid for separately and were quite expensive compared to usual salon prices in my opinion, turned out to be our worst nightmare come true. We had treatments booked for both the Saturday and Sunday. After the initial treatments on Saturday, some as basic as pedicures and brow shapes we cancelled all treatments on the Sunday as we were appalled by the standard of these treatments which were far below average! I was quite frankly shocked by the lack of skill and experience and too frightened to continue any further treatments on the Sunday. What was supposed to be a romantic and special celebration turned out to be a weekend of total frustration and a compete waste of money for us. I would not recommend the hotel and most certainly not the spa facilities especially if you plan to have an exclusive or relaxing experience. With the exception of a few young people who have the right demeanour for the job, people are untrained and there appears to be a complete lack of management.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Miemie H
gmelmers, General Manager at Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for your feedback. Please accept my apologies for the bad Spa treatment your wife experienced on the day. I felt that, as outlined in our correspondence a full refund of the entire week end would have been disproportionate to the complaint.
I also assured you that these were not our usual standards and we had taken the necessary actions to avoid further guest’s complaints.
I am sorry that you decided not to mention all the other aspect of your stay which at the time you found more than satisfactory.
I hope to welcome you back at the Resort in the not too distant future.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

We stayed for just 2 nights, and the thing that made it a great stay was the Staff –- the service from the staff was way above what you expect from a 3* hotel. They were so friendly, polite, helpful, suggested places to eat and things to do, without being OTT or intrusive.

One slight exception when we arrived at the spa the girl continued doing her paperwork while we stood there awkwardly for a couple of minutes, just a nod hello would have been nice, but really not a big deal overall.

Reception – great service, always someone available, Rebecca who checked us in was very friendly, welcoming and helpful, providing info and maps

Room – stayed in hotel room – had requested a first floor room which we received and am glad as the front of the room is all window and unless you keep the curtains closed you might feel a little exposed on the ground floor rooms. The room was very spacious and had a desk and 2 armchairs, plenty of storage space, the bathroom was lovely too – shower had good water pressure and there was plenty of hot water.

The room are a little tired looking i guess, but nothing major that really affected our stay -for example, there was a big chip out of one of the shelves in the wardrobe and the fabric on the chair was fraying and faded - but these things made no material difference to us.

There was also tea/coffee making facilities and shortbread biscuits as well as a large bottle of still water provided. Flatscreen TV with freeview.

Restaurant – we ate in the first night as we couldn’t be bothered to go out and the Waterford restaurant on site was unexpectedly fantastic. 3 courses for about £28 and it was beautifully presented, delicious food with incredible service from the staff.

Breakfast – great selection of fruit, cereal, pastries, juice, yoghurt etc., but we had the full English which was lovely. I really liked the coffee they served at breakfast too.

Facilities – pool area was nice (indoor, there is outdoor, but we didn’t use it), well maintained and clean and there’s a Jacuzzi too. The pool isn’t big, but it’s enough to do a few laps and there’s a shallow area for kids. The gym was a nice – treadmills have their own TV screen and you can plug your iphone into the machines too. A good selection of weight machines and free weights too.

Grounds – lovely large garden area with central fountain and benches to sit on. The rooms are not attached to the main reception area or the restaurant but they are within 30 seconds to 1 minute walk of each other, it didn’t bother me at all, but if it had been raining all the time, it might have been annoying.

Location – about 1 mile from Lymington high street – nice easy walk there. There is also the Wagon and Horses pub about a 5 minute walk from the hotel which we ate at and was lovely. We drove to Brockenhurst too, which was about 10 mins by car.

Spa - this was probably the most disappointing part. As i said we were slightly ignored on arrival, and although there was nothing particularly bad about the treatment (massage), it was just average, and relatively expensive (£60 for 1h i think) and the walls are very thin and you can hear people walking up and down and talking outside the treatment room which isnt very relaxing.

Having said that overall i would recommend staying here, especially for a budget break.

Room Tip: Request the first floor rooms.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Luba0310

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments left on the Trip Advisor Website.
I was so pleased to read that overall you had a fantastic experience. I have forwarded your feedback to the entire team as this is such great boost to their morale. We have addressed the issue you encountered during your Spa experience for no further guest disappointment. Please accept my apologies for this.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Resort in the not too distant future.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

Arrived to a very friendly reception by the lovely young lady at check-in. I really lucked out on the room - I was put into 5a which is a suite, which had a nice sitting room and well equipped bathroom. Last time I stayed in one of the chalet rooms which was adequate (the suite was understandably much nicer). The suite was a bit hot when I entered and there is no air conditioning, but there are plenty of windows which may be opened to get some air in (there was a good breeze on the one hot day - not sure what the room would be like if very high temperatures and no breeze).

This is the second time I have attended a management offsite at the hotel. The grounds and the views are delightful - I feel good when I pull into the car park.

The manager is extremely keen to please and is obviously trying his best to provide a first class service. We all found the food at lunchtimes to be very high quality. The evening meal was ok but a few dishes lacked one thing or another (for example the pork was very dry and did not come out with apple sauce and we had to ask for mint sauce for the lamb). However other dishes were very good and again the manager couldn't do enough for us - really keen to accommodate our requests and checking to see if we wanted anything else.

On one of the days the coffee provided for breaks was awful - not sure why (we sent it back). We also had some timing issues on one of the days for lunch (I guess it was a mix-up). The problem for corporate events is that it is usually is run to a tight agenda and it relies on the hotel to be able to keep in time with things. The wireless reception is also truly awful for a corporate event, and is something the hotel needs to sort out (by investing in a wireless hub) if it wishes to establish itself as a corporate venue (we were running out of rooms with mobile phones held aloft to obtain a reception to use our personal 3G wireless connections). Last gripe was that there was no ice in the bar in the evening when we returned from a trip into town. Having said this, the chap on night bar duty tried his best to accommodate us and was extremely polite. I didn't go down to breakfast in the mornings (we were fed so well during the day, I feared the amount of weight I would put on if I had!). I did go for breakfast on the previous occasion and it was fine.

I have rated this 4 stars for the personal service I received from everybody I encountered. I remember on previous visit that one of the maintenance guys noticed me struggling with my case/laptop/handbag and offered assistance right away and helped me get everything to the car (I have been to other hotels where the staff have simply walked past). Also the surroundings are beautiful, and the suite was delightful. I would encourage the hotel to address the little bits and pieces mentioned in my review - in particularly if they wish to attract business people (I need to keep in touch with my business even when I am travelling on a personal basis and I suspect this is the same for others in today's internet world).

Room Tip: 5A is nice
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ymbam

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments left on the Trip Advisor Website.
Thank you for all the positive point and the constructive criticism. We have taken action regarding the WiFi and our company is rolling out Free WiFi throughout the estate. Ours will be installed mid to late September depending on the amount of work required.
Regarding the timing I have personally addressed this issue with our team to ensure of no recurrence of this issue.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

The Hotel and grounds are lovely, the staff are friendly and positive, but some could do with a little more training. The cleanliness in the toilets by the pool and in the main house was average. Unfortunately in many instances product knowledge is lacking, had we known we could divide our group evenly our experience would have been more social and relaxing. The service team are trying to be attentive but when the third waiter presses you for a dessert choice after already telling the first you want a break it becomes intrusive. Communication and procedures are needed. It was only little things that let the hotel down which could be easily remedied by management investing in their people. Overall we had a relaxing and enjoyable stay. Lisa on reception was great. The waiter serving the drinks by the pool on Saturday, Peter, was also great. We were very lucky with the weather, so transferred from pool to spa to pool all day, it was bliss.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank SachaRoberts

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great feedback left on the Trip Advisor Website, we were pleased to read that you overall had a nice stay. We have addressed the service issues you encountered to avoid further guests disappointments. I can assure you that our establishment is dedicated to investing in our people and training is a key focus to us. Hopefully you will return in the near future and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

Relaxed atmosphere, food was great as were the the stunning surroundings. My friend and I went for an our annual spa trip and chose Elmer court for its spa package offers and Elemis treatments. I have never complained about anything in my life but was almost shell shocked by how bad the therapists were! The spa looks like it should be great, lovely relaxation room, lovely treatment rooms but it seems that they get agency staff in who clearly have no idea where anything is and are DEFINITELY not Elemis trained! I could list the awful mistakes but it would take me all day! By all means stay for a break but not if spa and relaxation in leisure facilities are top of your agenda.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank DRamus

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review placed on the Tripadvisor website. Our establishment is dedicated to drive the quality of our standard and hospitality. We value your opinion and your feedback and I can assure you that we have now remedied these issues by recruiting and training our own team to Elemis standards. Thank you again for your valuable comments and we hope to see you soon back at the resort.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

Recently spent 5 days here. It's a timeshare complex but other than a 'welcome drink' we did not get bothered by sales folk. We had a Solent View apartment. It was very spacious with a lovely view. We didn't try the two restaurants or the bar but used the indoor (air is hot) and outdoor pools. The grounds are lovely to walk around and explore. As a guest you can join the fitness classes for free but other things such as the pitch and putt, croquet, etc are payable. We had to pay for electricity (but not water!) and it was over 13p a unit! Wow! Another annoying aspect is there was no DVD player so we couldn't play our cds or dvds but you can pay a reasonable 9.95 for the movie channels and music per week. All in all quite nice!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Staro30

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great feedback left on the Trip Advisor Website, we were delighted to read that you enjoyed your experience at the Resort. Thank you for your valuable feedback regarding apartment rental terms & conditions I will refer them to our executive team for their review.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the resort in the not too distant future.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

Interesting old country house with some more recent buildings. Well worth a look with 2 restaurants and indoor & outdoor swimming pools. Mainly a timeshare property with some hotel rooms added on. Does need more investment as property maintenance and gardens could do with some attention. We had a comfortable stay although the standard of the appartments does vary considerably between old and new. Indoor pool was basic but good, outdoor pool was cold but hey the sun was shining. Waterside restaurant was a bit pretentious, interesting starters and desserts but main courses could have been prepared hours before so overall dissapointing, wine expensive as usual and lift musak in the background. Steak Club did very good steaks and with friendly service, chips were served in a tin cup which was odd but effective as it kept them hot. Close to Lymington and New Forest.

Room Tip: Avoid Holbein (old), Solent View (better) and West Court Cottages a bit noisy (from sewage pump...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank T S

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review left on the Trip Advisor Website, we were delighted to read that you enjoyed your experience at the Resort. I can assure you that we are dedicated to renovate a number of apartments every year and all other apartments get our in house maintenance team attention to ensure they are maintained to a high standard.
Regarding the Waterford Restaurant as well as the slow cooked dishes we have a number of dishes which are prepared on order and change on a regular basis such as lamb rump, sirloin steak, fresh fish, poultry and other.

Resort General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lymington
Passford House
#1 of 1 in Milford on Sea
The Beaulieu Hotel
The Beaulieu Hotel
#2 of 2 in Beaulieu

Been to Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!