“What a lovely break!!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Brighton, United Kingdom
“What a lovely break!!”
Reviewed July 13, 2012

I have recently returned from a very relaxing break at this hotel, and was very satisfied,

We were greeted by the very polite Anthony, which really got our stay off to a good start. I was visiting with my best friend for a spa break booked through "Last Minute.com"

The hotel is in a very beautiful setting, with very attractive views out over the solent. The Gardens are very well kept, and the manor house itself is stunning, and very oldy weldy! The location is perfect and just a short distance from Lymington town itself.

Our room was in the new part of the building, and are quite modern, clean and well presented.

The main fine dinning restaurant was excellent, amazing food, and service was great!! Loved the Hendricks cocktail after dinner,

Breakfast was lovely, and a really great choice.

My only very small criticism is, we booked a short spa treatment and then wanted to go for a nice quiet swim, but the pool is open to the public and there was a school swimming lesson going on,,, this did take quite a lot away from it being nice and quiet and relaxing. I would much prefer that pool to be private to the hotel, as it really is a beautiful pool,

All in all loved our stay and are already thinking about when we can return

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
gmelmers, General Manager at Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, July 21, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review left on the Trip Advisor website, comments such as yours go a long way in keeping our staff motivated to work hard at exceeding our guest’s expectations. Our Leisure Club has Members including families as well as the Hotel and Resort which welcome families with children of all ages, please accept our apologies for the inconvenience it may have cause you. We hope to welcome you back very soon.

Resort General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
Stansted Mountfitchet, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 11, 2012

Hotel position is lovely, thats as good as it gets.
We booked a weekend away, room only as this hotel is quite expensive.
We arrived, was given a room upgrade, from double to suite. Was told that this was with compliments. Breakfast is served from 8.00-10.30 etc.
When we arrived in the breakfast area, we were asked for room number, ticked off on the sheet and shown to the table. Shown where all cereals etc were, asked whether we wanted tea or coffee, toast, white or brown. We had to chase toast but were advised that someone was out getting extra bread. we waited.
Asked for the "quality breakfast" that was offered by waiter.
"Quality breakfast" is just a run of the mill fry-up. Nothing to sing and dance about. Until after we had finished our breakfast I was soon dancing!!! We were handed a bill for £35.00 YES THIRTY FIVE POUNDS for 2 below average breakfasts.
Not once were we told of the cost or told that we had to pay anyway. As we were up graded we understood this as an UPGRADE. Maybe it is just me!!
well there is a saying "You don't get something for nothing"
Well we didn't here.
On leaving we complained but were spoken to rudely and left disgusted by the way we were treated.
Never again!!!!!!!

3 Thank Nigel P
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review placed on the trip advisor website. I have copied below the final reply to your series of complaint from our central team. I hope this clearly demonstrate our team integrity and the efficiency of the standards in place to avoid our guests feeling mislead.
Yours sincerely
Macdonald Hotels & Resort

Thank you for your letter dated 11th July 2012, addressed to Customer Services, and following your stay at the Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel and Resort. Your correspondence has been sent to me as Regional Director for this hotel for investigation and response and having now completed the investigation, I would like to take this opportunity to formally respond to the points raised as follows.

First and foremost, please accept my sincere apologies for the confusion arising with regard to your complimentary upgrade and breakfast arrangements. I understand that you booked accommodation on a room only basis and were staying at the hotel in celebration of your anniversary. Prior to arriving at the hotel, contact was made with the reservations team to establish the opportunity to recognise the special occasion and although, it could not be guaranteed, it was indicated that the hotel would enhance your enjoyment with upgraded accommodation, subject to availability. On arrival, the hotel was able to upgrade your accommodation from an executive room to a suite, and although the room was upgraded, this did not mean that your package had change from room only to a breakfast inclusive package.

During the check-in process, regardless of whether a guest is staying on a room only basis or inclusive rate, our standard procedure is to share information with our guests about the facilities, dining arrangements and times of service. This provides the guest with an opportunity to enjoy the entire hotel should they wish. It was not confirmed at any stage that your rate had been amended to include breakfast; the tariff remained at room only although included the gesture of goodwill of a complimentary upgrade on your accommodation.

Thank you for your feedback with regard to the standard of breakfast served to you the following morning. Had we been made aware of your feedback at the time, we would have been very happy to have dealt with this promptly and arranged for alternative dishes and the replenishment of hot toast. I am aware that the Operations Manager greeted you at the restaurant and in line with our usual standard of hospitality, confirmed your name and room number with you and the status of your breakfast arrangements ie whether your breakfast was included or not. Please be assured that the hotel and its team operate with the highest levels of integrity and would not mislead guests for individual, personal gain.

I have noted your additional feedback regarding the shower facility and apologise for the lapse in standard of maintenance. This has been reported to the Maintenance Team and immediate remedial action has taken place although I appreciate that this is of little consolation now having personally experienced this lack of attention.

Thank you once again for taking the time to share your feedback and I am only sorry your experience on this occasion was so disappointing. It is important for us to receive feedback in this way as this provides us with the necessary opportunity to continually review and improve the standards of service we offer and ensures that we are meeting the expectations of our guests at all times.

I do hope that you consider returning to stay with us on future occasions and I very much look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back and being of service to you on many future occasions.
Benfleet, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 10, 2012

I recently stayed at the Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel for a family wedding but was disappointed with the accommodation and standard of service particularly considering the price of the stay was costly. On arrival I noticed a workman's step ladder outside of my room/ (chalet) which did not get removed until later the following day - which I thought did not give a good impression. The cleaners trolleys were also constantly outside the rooms. Some of the staff in the restaurant lacked customer service experience, appeared a little unfriendly and toast was served untoasted and when given back to staff "were told the toaster wasn't working properly" and that was why they were serving it untoasted ?!!

During the wedding reception held in the main area of the hotel, two child guests sitting on my table were left waiting without food and this was only then served after the parent complained and all the other adult guests on our table had finished their meal. Wedding cake also wasn't cut as requested. Overall - standards could have been a lot better.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review posted on the Trip advisor website. I was sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the quality of service in the Restaurant and during the wedding meal.
As our member of the team commented our Rotary toaster broke down and we had to use domestic ones however this does not in any case justify your toast been untoasted, I have personally taken this matter with our Operations Manager and he has retrained his team on breakfast standards.
This were isolated incidents and I hope that you will give us another chance to demonstrate the hight quality standards we are renowned for.
Bridgwater UK
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Booked a last minute break at this hotel in April and were really glad we did. Although from the web site the hotel looks old most of the rooms are in new blocks built alongside the original building. We had a large room overlooking the gardens and with the entire front of the room being window the views were great and it made the room very light and airy. The room was large, well equipped and clean. The only negative was that the bathroom was very worn and needed redecorating.

The old part of the hotel was very grand and the hotel bar and dining room looked just like an officer’s club, which apparently it was during the war. We had booked in for 3 nights with evening meal and the food & wine were excellent. My only gripe was that the menu only varied by one or two dishes over the three nights, which was disappointing but possibly due to the hotel being very quiet during our stay. The staff were very welcoming and provided a first class service.

The hotel has a good leisure complex with a good indoor pool with steam room and sauna. This part of the hotel had a sports bar and grill and was less formal than the main dining room. It was here that we had our excellent breakfasts.

The hotel is well placed for sightseeing around the New Forest and is just 5 minutes walk from the Isle of Wight ferry terminal and railway station.

All in all a very pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Request a room overlooking the gardens
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Andydiff
Dear guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review left on the Trip Advisor website, comments such as yours go a long way in keeping our staff motivated to work hard at exceeding our guest’s expectations. I have shared your feedback with our Head Chef and I have asked him to try to diversify his Waterford menu on a more regular basis, he promised he will try without compromising on the freshness and consistency of the dishes, he also suggested that he would have been delighted to suggest alternative dishes if he had been made aware. Thank you again for such constructive comments and we hope to welcome you back very soon.

england
Reviewed July 9, 2012

firstly the positives. The staff were very helpful and friendly and when we arrived very early, also very accommodating. Unfortunately, I think we drew the short straw with the accommodation as we had a tired old apartment in the main building which was huge but furnished entirely by my grandma. The grounds are very pleasant although the pool area again looks a bit tired and there were no staff around order drinks.I certainly would not visit again although it did seem to be some nice timeshare apartments at the far end of the grounds which were more modern. they also managed to charge me five pounds for electricity even though we only boiled one kettle during our stay and left after one night.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review placed on trip advisor. I was pleased to read that you felt our team was very helpful and friendly.
I appreciate your comments regarding the apartment you stayed in and although some of the character of the building restricts the modernization of it I have passed on your valuable comments to our Executive Team for consideration of refurbishment or further improvements.
We only man our outdoor pool during warmer days and school holiday, however we our Scottish Steak Club bar team members check this area on a regular basis to provide bar service to our guests.

Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Stayed for one night had a great stay.The house and gardens are stunning ( like a Nat Trust property)and its on the water front .The accomadation is outside in 2 storey challet blocks. which were clean and tidy. We paid £ 135 for bed breakfast and evening meal (discounted rate). The chalets aren't as high quality as the main house but then the hotels not claiming to be 5* and is charging reasonable rates for a 3*in summer. We had a nice relaxing stay.We invited some friends to meet us for the evening mealand the food was excellent. As with other reviewers I would have to agree that the service from all the staff was excellent especially Jose in the restaraunt (heres a guy who's good at his job). I struggle with some of the negative reviews I have read, maybee some people see the pictures of the main house,garden and are then let down by the challet accomadation .For the price I paid and the location I stayed at I have nothing negative to say and I will go back.

1 Thank t675
Dear guest,
Thank you for your wonderful review left on the Trip Advisor website, comments such as yours go a long way in keeping our staff motivated to work hard at exceeding our guest’s expectations. We hope to welcome you back very soon.
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 6, 2012

I'm sorry to say that this hotel did not live up to expectations. Really needing a relaxing break, and liking the look of the pictures, the last thing we were expecting was the "Butlins" style 2-storey chalets situated in the grounds of the main house, which itself was made up of time-share appartments. The chalets were tired and in need of an overhaul, but they were very clean and tidy with some nice touches. Sadly, the walls and ceilings/floors were so thin that the every movement of our neighbours was heard by us (as I'm sure ours was by them). We could hear conversations next door and the energentic morning routine of our upstairs neighbours as well as the every ablution of both. Having been kept awake the previous night, and woken early by fellow guests getting up at 6 to use the leisure facilites, the hotel kindly moved us from a downstairs room to an upstairs room on our first moring. Unfortunately, the new room was just as bad, and I'm sure this had something to do with the rather clunky plumbing (which, when we mentioned this, the receptionist told us was a known problem).

We made good use of the gym and pool and the grounds of the hotel are lovely. We could not fault the staff at all who were polite, friendly and helpful at all times, including when dealing with our complaint. After 3 nights of disturbed sleep, however, the final straw was the 3am wake up call due to a heavy downpour of rain that was cascading like Niagara Falls from the broken guttering just outside our window and hitting the concrete beneath with gusto, something our new downstairs neighbours also commented on as we endured another sleepy-eyed breakfast. We decided to call it a day at this point, and headed home.

Having stayed at Macdonald's establishments before, this one was a bit of a let down. We got quite a good room price, but even the reduced price we paid did not give us value for money - we would have preferred a Travel Lodge. Again, let me stress that this was in no part due to the staff, for whom I reserve the highest praise.

Room Tip: Take some ear plugs (although mine were not enough to mask the noise).
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, July 7, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback left on the trip advisor website. I was sorry to hear that the accommodation we provide was not to your liking however the accommodation is thoroughly described on our website with outside picture of the bedrooms.
Like the majority of hotels, bedrooms are next to each other with a minimal amount of noise created by other residents, I am sorry if this did not suit your requirements.
Thank you for your kind words regarding our team members, I have share your comments with them and they thank you in return. I am sorry that on this occasion we could not meet your requirements and I am sure that the exceptionally bad weather conditions contributed greatly to your early departure. Maybe you will be ready to give us another chance during better weather, please do not hesitate to contact me personally if you like to do so.

Resort General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lymington
Passford House
#3 of 11 in Brockenhurst
Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa
Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in New Milton

Been to Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!