“HIgh quality pub food”

The Red Lion Boldre
Ranked #19 of 119 Restaurants in Lymington
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Traditional British Pub. Please note that we are not open all day, except on Sunday's, and that the kitchen is closed during the afternoons.
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Had a delicious steak which i really enjoyed but I found the menu a bit limited as there were a lot of fish dishes & I don't like fish!! Good for those who do .It is quite expensive for a pub .

1  Thank applewitch

Reviewed October 7, 2012

We have eaten at the red lion on a number of occassions and have experienced some excellent meals with indifferent service followed by other visits where the food has been mediocre to disappointing and the service friendly and efficient. Our last visit for me was the best in a while on a mid week lunch time, the pork with black pudding was a tad over cooked but very tasty and the veg selection good although I think they had been zapped in the microwave. My husbands steak was not the best he'd ever eaten and definitely not the best value for money but certainly edible, the wine list we found quite reasonable. The service was excellent which I think has saved this review from being less favourable.
In summary over a number of visits I would advise that mid week visits are better than weekend, order from the daily specials, never order a pie if you are expecting a proper pie, they are an ordinary puff pastry top plonked on a dish of meat, and ignore the rave reviews as your expections will probably be dashed. Having said that we do keep coming back to this quaint little pub.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

...it's one of those places where average is a little harsh but very good would be too much. So on balance, 3 out of 5 rather than 4 out of 5.

I popped in with the kids for lunch for a quick bite, and as it was a sunny day, sat outside. For some reason I was always under the impression that they did not do kids sizes, but this wasn't the case. Being slightly unadventurous, we went for home made burgers and had a bowl of mussels. The food took a good 45 minutes to arrive, and suspect that that was due to arriving at 12 on the dot, when the kitchen opened.

The chips were very good, but the burger lacked seasoning and was somewhat forgettable. Nothing wrong with any of it but I want something memorable! The Mrs said that the mussels were VERY good, but by the time she got towards the end, she said that it was a bit too salty (and this comes from someone who throws salt all over her food).

The staff were all very helpful and friendly. It is clean (including the loos) and quite cosy, although it seems to be less about a pub but more about a restaurant.

2  Thank Charles M
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Wow! Where to start, the evening was a total success, both in terms of dining and drinking in a lovely old world atmosphere. The decoration is amazing with a wealth of low beams, low lighting, open fires, brass work, copper and livery items. I do not envy the person who is responsible for cleaning all the brass and copper!

The service was excellent by pleasant knowledgeable staff (something of a rarity these days)

The menu is good and varied with a lot of locally sourced food. Our party of seven enjoyed a variety of starters with fish and steak main courses, and each person remarked very favourably on the quality and cooking of the dishes. We did not take dessert as we were "bostin" by the end of the main course, even thought the dessert menu was extremely tempting.

The beers on offer were varied and very tasty - they were done justice. Also a very good selection of wines.

Can't wait for our next visit.

3  Thank suetrev
Reviewed September 30, 2012

After our last visit, at which I expressed some disappointment, we were persuaded to return to give it another go. Although we're local it took a couple of months to return but We won't wait as long again. The food was fresh, at least partly sourced locally, and delicious (we both had 3 courses). The service was friendly, helpful and knowledgable. The management really seem to be trying to get it right here and we'll certainly be back. Thanks for a lovely meal.

3  Thank RJF63