“Comfortable and Classy”

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Lymington
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“Comfortable and Classy”
Reviewed June 26, 2014

Stayed for two nights in June 2014 and ate in the restaurant both nights. Food very good. Room very good indeed with lovely view overlooking the central courtyard. Walked in the grounds on both nights, which look a bit in need of care - there are a lot of grounds! Staff were excellent. Would e go again - yes.

1 Thank Steven F
Ian H, Owner at Passford House, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a complimentary review on your recent stay with us.

We are aware that the gardens are in need of a bit of extra TLC (the wet winter has sparked of extra growth this year!) We are making the effort to get this back up to scratch again.

I do hope that we'll have the chance to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
Stamford UK
Reviewed June 23, 2014

My in laws stayed at Passford House last year, and chose it as the venue for my father in law's recent 80th birthday dinner.

19 of us stayed at the hotel, and we were so well looked after. We had a private dining room along with an ante room, and were given a very broad menu selection which I had not been expecting as we were a larger party. The courses were beautifully served, and there was not too much on the plate, although a few extra vegetables would have been a bonus! The staff were always available without being obvious, and were very professional.

At breakfast the following morning, a large table had been prepared for us so that we could sit together. The buffet was fresh and extensive, and even though there were a lot of guests eating, there was no sense of rush or of waiting for service.

We had a room overlooking the courtyard - it was extremely comfortable and vast, as was the bathroom! We had tea and coffee making facilities, bottled water and Gilchrist and Soames bath products (one of my favourites!) When we arrived, we could not open the windows as there were some bees swarming, so the room was pretty stuffy that evening!

Unfortunately, I did not make the most of the grounds, although the family tell me it is beautiful.

We had to print plane boarding passes from the hotel, and the staff were more than accommodating in this.

One little niggle was the speed (or lack of) with the internet. Not a big problem as the hotel is meant to be a tranquil haven, but a bit frustrating on checking in for the flights!

As the weather was so good, and we were with extended family we did not need the numerous games and activities provided in the lounge areas, but it appeared that everything had been thought of.

I can definitely say we had a very good experience at Passford House, and I would go there again.

Room Tip: We had a delightful room over the courtyard, although it overlooks several other windows so remember...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Louise C
Ian H, Owner at Passford House, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a lovely review on your recent family weekend at Passford House.

I am delighted to hear that you all enjoyed your time with us. Please accept my apologies with regards to the poor internet connection. This is a common problem throughout the New Forest and something that the local council is looking into improving, and hopefully keep us online and inline with our city counterparts.

I do hope that we might have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future, maybe for you father in law's 81st Birthday!
Bishops Stortford, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 20, 2014

The building, public rooms and gardens cannot be faulted. The hotel sits in 10 acres of beautifully tended grounds with plenty of parking and feels very rural although only two miles from pretty Lymington and the beautiful New Forest. Our standard room was bigger than expected, well furnished and with good quality soft furnishings (except the flat, mismatched and uninteresting two cushions!). We had a lovely view over the attractive courtyard. The ensuite bathroom was the largest we have experienced with plenty of hot water and a good shower, as well as a big bath and his and hers basins (a little luxury). Only slight niggle that the rooms may be a little dated with carpet throughout the bathroom when we would prefer a hard, washable floor. Bathrobes are provided but small and hard so could do with softener when washing.

The ambience is genteel with plenty of staff and silver service dining. We stayed for three nights on a dinner, bed and breakfast basis (worth phoning hotel direct to ensure a good deal on this). Evening meals were excellent with relaxed service and no rush although since the menu is small you may run out of choices if staying for too long. Wine is expensive. The menu for lighter bites through the day or afternoon tea seems reasonable and apt.

Enjoyed the surrounding area very much. Exbury gardens is a must. Take the buggy for a full informative tour or be prepared to walk the 22 miles of paths! Bucklers Hard has a good Maritme Museum, much updated since our last visit. The Beaulieu river cruise from there is also an enjoyable half hour. The drive across the forest to Beaulieu will not disappoint if you like ponies, donkeys and their foals.

Disappointed with the small swimming pool in the grounds although nice to have this facility.
Relaxing to take tea in the lounge after a day out. Pre-dinner drinks were hard to order as no-one permanently in the bar at that time when you would expect them to be. Although there seems to be plenty of staff around, we found them not as friendly as they could be (this does not apply to Nicolette on her internship from Hungary who was full of smiles and chatty if you engaged her in conversation). Perhaps they are learning, but they are so serious that this gives an atmosphere of stuffiness. Lighten up folks! There is a fine line between discreet service and apparent off-handedness that will make the guest feel uncomfortable. There also appears to be a peculiar division between Reception and waiting staff. When we ordered afternoon tea from Reception, it took 10 minutes for a member of the kitchen staff to come and take our order (again!). Perhaps the Reception staff see themselves as having the upper hand, revelling in delegation!

Breakfast is disappointing unfortunately. With all the silver service, a buffet is provided with bacon hard, sausages meagre and overcooked, cold mushrooms and scrambled or fried eggs lukewarm. There is NO menu. Inevitably the less than freshly cooked breakfast is the result of pre-prep despite the magnificent silver warming cabinets. We discovered at the end of the stay from other guests that we could order smoked haddock or kippers but there was no indication of this. I did ask for a poached egg on the last morning and received two, beautifully cooked. A menu would not go amiss even if the majority available is on magnificent display. The coffee is awful by the way, again probably pre-prepared in an urn although served in nice silver jugs. And whilst on the subject of menus, I do think the hotel should update their dinner menu presentation as well as the hotel information provided in the bedroom. All a bit yellow faded plastic. Would not take much to provide a more modern and tasteful presentation to give a luxury feel as befits the surroundings of the hotel. Little things but so easy to update.

All in all, a pleasant stay. The basics are there. The staff need to just rethink their interpersonal skills and to gee up their presentation of the hotel in a manner more befitting the lovely building and luxury end of the market - in today's style rather than the last century.

1 Thank Gillyos
Ian H, Owner at Passford House, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a lovely review on your recent stay with us.

I'm delighted to hear that overall you enjoyed your time with us. Please accept my apologies with regards to the points you raised with breakfast and service levels. This is something that we will certainly address.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.
Sussex
Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

This hotel possibly has the most beautiful grounds of any hotel I have visited, certainly in this country. And the original house is delightful too.

Rooms are roomy and nicely cleaned and have all the usual bits and pieces although if you like a glass or bottle of water next to your bed then bring your own as there is no bottle and the glasses in the bathroom are the size of egg cups.

The food is decent but the menu rather limited and if you were staying a week you'd probably be wishing for more choice by the end of the week. There are several cosy sitting rooms with leather sofas and the bar is a nice place for pre-dinner drinks and a waitress will come and take your order and later call you in.

The dining room itself is rather characterless and whilst the waiting staff are exemplary in their attention to detail, they are rather cheerless and most had a look indicating they'd rather be back in their home country. I didn't take breakfast during my stay but my wife described it as unpleasant even by motorway service standards.

But the place is wonderfully quiet and a stroll around the extensive gardens is a most pleasurable way to spend an hour. There is a huge pond, a pet graveyard, a mini golf course and a slightly neglected croquet lawn.

Wifi is hit and miss but I got a decent phone reception on O2. Just a few miles from Lymington this is a good base for a quiet couple of days.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cccustard
Ian H, Owner at Passford House, responded to this review, June 16, 2014

However, I was disappointed to read your comments with regards to breakfast. Please rest assured that this is something that will be monitored closely and improved on as necessary.

I’m afraid poor internet connection / Wifi is an issue throughout the forest, although Hampshire County Council have plans in place to improve this for homes and businesses in the near future.

I was pleased that overall, you enjoyed your stay with us and I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed June 13, 2014

This is a lovely old place with loads of character. The grounds are amazing, with nice facilities. And there's a wonderful lounge area, with a nice clubby feel to it. But there's nothing modern at all to the place. That can be fun, but it isn't as nice when it comes to the bedrooms. The beds are very soft and saggy. The TVs are outdated. The fixtures in the bathroom are so old school they're amazing. So you've got to embrace the aged feeling of the place, and then you can enjoy it.

One downside of the dated feel - the WiFi is very poor.

Breakfast was not bad, but the welcome and the service was very poor. We felt like we'd been shunted aside and treated like second class guests. A big disappointment.

We booked last minute and got a very good price.

1 Thank Stefan H
Ian H, Owner at Passford House, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us.

I was sorry to read about your disappointment with the service levels at breakfast. Rest assured that your points have been taken on board and we will endeavour to improve wherever necessary.

I am pleased that, overall, you enjoyed your stay with us, and loved the character of the hotel. I do hope that we might have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.
Reviewed June 7, 2014

We needed a nights accommodation in the New Forest with a restaurant for an evening meal and that all important Bar! We arrived at about four in the afternoon and where shown to our basic room, which was fine for one night, it was a little dated and I have to say that in the case of this room you could sit on the loo and brush your teeth at the same time! It was all very clean but a little crammed in.
A walk around the Gardens took us to the outside swimming Pool which had not yet been opened and one could see a lot of work was needed. The gardens are very large and have plenty of seats to sit out in, some of the main beds newly planted for the Summer. The Hotel I was told are looking to improve on the gardening team at the moment only one gardener is employed ( he has his work cut out!).
To be honest I was not expecting a very good dinner that night, we went down at 7 and were out numbered by the very attentive staff, later a few more guests came in to the large Restaurant but not enough to give any atmosphere. I did ask if the Hotel was full? I was told that it had been, but as half term was over a lot of people had gone, which I think was probably true.
We ordered our food and a bottle of wine from a very nice wine list. Well I was not disappointed by the food, it was very good! More than making up for some of the points above. My only comment would be that the Staff where very quick to clear the table, I did time it, I put my knife and fork down and it took 90 seconds for the plates to be taken. This almost made you feel they wanted you out, and I did mention it to a manager.
A good nights sleep in a nice bed followed with Breakfast, which was again very good, with just about everything you could wish for!
I think this is classed as a 3 star Hotel with a bit of work it could be a Four, it was not the cheapest we have stayed in, compared with 4 star Hotels we have stayed in I think it's just a little over priced at the moment.
Would I return? Yes, the food was great, but I think I would be looking for a deal next time.

1 Thank MGalan
Ian H, Owner at Passford House, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us at Passford House Hotel.

We appreciate the constructive points that you have raised and will endeavor to improve where necessary.

I am pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay with us and I do hope that we might have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.
Woodley, Berkshire UK
Reviewed June 5, 2014

Spent 3 nights here with my mother in law. The staff could not have been more helpful and friendly. We had a wheelchair so were given room 135 which had a walk in shower as well as a bath. Pity the weather had not been better since I would have loved to have just sat in the beautiful grounds with a good book. Ate there twice in the evening, first night with the lighter bites send then in the restaurant. Both were good but especially enjoyed the lovely ambience of the restaurant.

Hope to return sometime in the future with my husband and would love to book a superior room that opens out into the lovely courtyard.

Room Tip: Room 135 is good for a family since it had a double and single bed. Rooms 121 and 120 are superior r...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Ian H, Owner at Passford House, responded to this review, June 10, 2014

I do hope that we will have the chance of welcoming you back in the near future, and hopefully with better weather so you can enjoy our gardens!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lymington
Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort
#1 of 1 in New Milton
Burley Manor
Burley Manor
#1 of 2 in Burley

Been to Passford House? Share your experiences!