“Not top of the list”

Cuisines: British, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Scenic view, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed January 30, 2014

Thursday night supper, and the Ship was very quiet, no drinkers at the bar, and the restaurant only had a few tables occupied. However we were still asked if we had reserved a table (which we hadn't), and were then shown to a tiny round table in a corner by the patio doors. The space was so small that we elected to eat in the bar, and order at the bar ourselves rather than have waitress service. There was only one other couple eating in the bar so we were able to sit at a spacious and comfortable table. At no time during the evening did other diners arrive - so I am amiss at why were were not offered a larger table in the restaurant area. Perhaps they were expecting a large crowd which didn't arrive?
My partner ordered the Filet steak with lobster tail, and I chose the ham egg and chips.
We shared a garlic cheese flat bread to start which was lovely, however the filet steak was not so good - the steak was overcooked ,the lobster tail tiny and the side salad was a small bunch of leaves with a slice of tomato plonked on top, which had withered due to the warmth of the plate. Lovely chips served in a bowl - why not the salad in a bowl and the chips on the plate.
My ham was not of the home-cooked variety and a bit tough, served with one small fried egg, the ubiquitous bowl of chips and a sea of bland peas. At around £40 (not including the drinks), I think the food is very expensive for what is delivered. The ship is in a lovely spot, and beautifully decorated inside, and all the staff are very warm and friendly, but there are better food venues in Lymington.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,472)

Reviewed January 25, 2014

Having read some reviews on here, I was a bit worried that The Ship may be complacent and not try hard enough, as they are right on the quay at the end of the shops, and close to the boats, and have a 'captive' clientele. However, I was wrong, I'm very pleased to say!
From the moment we arrived, slightly late, we were treated courteously and shown to our table. The waitress, Rachel, was very pleasant, and let us have time to settle down with our friends who were already there, before taking our order. The drinks arrived quickly, although mine did not have the ice I requested.
The food was amazing. There was so much choice! The Saturday specials included mussels, lamb, and steak. On the main menu there was a 'lighter bites' selection, which is a good idea, which could be either a starter or a main course. I chose the glazed pork for a starter, which was so tender and delicious. Then I had the salmon fish cakes from the lighter bites section which were also very tasty. My dining colleagues all chose different things and everyone cleared their plates. There was a very good selection of vegetarian options including mushrooms for a starter, and a squash and beetroot dish for a main.
Although we were completely full, the desserts could not be resisted, even my ice cream with a cookie was wonderful.
We had a wonderful lunch at The Ship, can't recommend it highly enough.

Reviewed January 25, 2014

Well cooked, hot, nicely presented food. Friendly service from Leigh, makes a difference to overall impression of place. Atmosphere good, facilities good.

Reviewed January 21, 2014

We popped into the Ship Inn halfway through a walk around Keyhaven with our Labrador. Pub was clean and well presented with sufficient and friendly staff so no complaint there. There was a water bowl available for dogs as well. Quite a varied and interesting menu but pretty normal pub fare. The web site boasts of 'flavours to knock your socks off' and 'fresh quality produce' so we hoped for more than normal pub food. My wife had the 'prime beef burger' which certainly cooked through but tough and a little grisly. Our thoughts were it was frozen and mass produced. If it is actually made locally by a gifted butcher then it was a pretty poor attempt. I had the Marinated chicken, which again cooked all the way through but hardly infused, dressing was okay though. Fries on both meals were fine.

If you are in Lymington and fancy a drink with some pretty uninspiring grub that will fill you up then it's okay. I certainly wouldn't make a special trip or a plan a special occasion there.

There are a lot of pubs who serve food locally, a few worse but a lot who are far better. Pub is very handy for looking at boats though.

Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

Good food, good location and exceptional service from Lee.

Will be visiting again. One tip they habe bice non alacaholic coctails.