“Mother's Day lunch”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Just returned from a Mother's Day lunch. We were welcomed by friendly attentive staff. The service at the start was efficient and our orders taken quickly and carefully. I always rate a decent restaurant by how well they match up the food with the person ordering at the table. Unfortunately , this attention to detail is lacking, and I did feel that service was rushed.
This was until the main meal plates were taken away, and we were forgot about. No one asked us for our desert choices until we brought it to their attention. After our coffees, I had to go off and search for someone to pay.
And the reason? The tea and cakes start getting served in the other part of the hotel, and all the staff focus on these new guests. It is a shame, and probably poor management together with a large number of guest to cater for. The Bistro restaurant gets sidelined at 3.00pm while the cream tea guests get all the attention.
Saying that, the final service at payment stage was excellent, and both my guests received cup cake presents.
And the food? Excellent. The wine list is extensive with both budget and decadent choices.
Stanwells has the makings of a truly excellent hotel/restaurant, but must try a little harder.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

We ate in the Bistro whilst staying overnight in the hotel for Valentine's. The food was excellent; an eight course menu and the portions were of good size and we were both full! The tables were laid out well and (we've had some Valentine's where good restaurants have operated several sittings and guests have been sitting far too close to neighbouring tables) with plenty of room. The staff were the perfect combination of attentive, amusing, jovial but not over familiar. We would definitely eat here again - this was our second visit.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

We went to Stanwells for a Christmas get together with a group of friends.

We had the set menu - it was awful. Tasteless smoked salmon, tough cold turkey, bitter roast potatoes that we're cold- I gave up on dessert I wasn't prepared to put my taste buds through it.

Complete rip off. We should give them some leeway based on the fact it was a party menu....but our view is that these evenings should be a showcase for the restaurant for the rest of the year....we will not go back.

1  Thank TallDadTim
Reviewed January 17, 2013

had a wonderful birthday lunch for my friend Hans - His wife, Nicole, his friend Fiona and I had a delightful mean - will go back again and again ... !

Reviewed January 3, 2013

I went to one of the Christmas Party nights with a group of friends and can honestly say that the whole evening was superb. The food was excellent and of an extremely high quality. The service was efficient and friendly with nothing being too much trouble for the conscientious waiting staff. All in all a brilliant evening and I would highly recommend!