“Over priced, but good service”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Lanes

Lanes
Ranked #4 of 118 Restaurants in Lymington
Cuisines: European, British, Soups
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Brunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Devon, United Kingdom
“Over priced, but good service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

The service, from the off, was very good. Tucked away in a back street, his restaurant is unassuming from the outside, but tastefully decorated inside with more room than you would expect. The food was to a good standard, however, it left both of us feeling hungry afterwards, despite having three courses. The bill came to £90, without service charge, for two persons. Considering that the food was served in very small portions, I would have expected something exceptional with regard to taste or 'new' flavour experiences. Unfortunately, the food was rather mundane considering the price and size of portion.

It ay be worth adding that we are not averse to modern fine dining, and in this instance it was the lack of 'anything special' in the food department, considering the price and portions size.

“A Birthday treat”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

Booked lunch here for my wife's birthday based on recommendations from trip advisor. We were not disappointed. Very well looked after by the staff. Great venue off the high street. We both enjoyed our meals. A surprise ending with some 'happy birthday' petite fours- great touch. A very happy wife. Thank you Lanes.

Visited May 2013
“Great feed and lovely service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

I went for dinner at Lanes and was throughly impressed with the quality of the food, the presentation, the host and the price. I couldn't recommend it higher. I lovely oasis at 7pm in Lymington where I could have a business dinner which was enjoyable and appetising.

The host and her husband the cook were lovely and I really enjoyed the atmosphere they promoted, not in your face but attentive. Will be going back.

London, United Kingdom
“What a disappointment!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

I booked a table at Lanes a week before my trip to Lymington and was very excited by the positive reviews on Tripadvisor.
On arriving at the restaurant we were greeted very pleasantly and I have to say the location and the interior was lovely.
We were seated but had to wait quite a while before being given the menu and imagine my delight when everything on the menu sounded wonderful and I had difficulty deciding what to have.
But what a HUGE disappointment.
My starter was pork belly - 3 small fatty pieces served on a chopped salad in what looked like a dessert bowl from a school cafeteria - very ordinary compared to the description on the menu.
When the main came I was floored! I ordered fillet of sea bass - and that is basically what I got.
1 fillet, with the skin on, which wasn't even crisp, what looked like 3 new potatoes and 3 cherry tomatoes on the side of the plate with a drizzle of 'sauce' - all that for £17. I would have done better at home! The meal was so poor. I have no idea what happened to the spectacular restaurant that everyone on here has spoken about but this certainly was not it.
A very expensive and disappointing mistake and I certainly would not recommend this place.

2 Thank Mandie W
Great Ouseburn, United Kingdom
“Don't Sail on By - Drop Anchor at the Lanes NOW!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

It’s always nice to be treated for lunch – thanks R and T. It’s even nicer when you are taken to a good restaurant. And that’s just what happened when we lunched at Lanes of Lymington.

Great location, just off the bustling High Street, Lanes is “housed” in a former School/Church. Split level and stylishly converted, we were given the best table in the house on an elevated deck.

Service was friendly without being over the top and a selection of fresh breads quickly arrived. Superb duck starter, liver cooked to rare perfection and then a fantastic pudding to follow – check the photo and yes, it was as good as it looked.

This restaurant really has got it right. And I just wish they were located 75 miles north west in Surrey.

So if you are sailor looking for a great lunch, a birthday guest like me, or just somebody who wants a damn good meal, weigh anchor now at the Lanes and DON’T sail on by.

1 Thank MStJB