“Vast improvement on staff and service”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Royal Oak

The Royal Oak
Ranked #21 of 118 Restaurants in Lymington
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Grill
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Large groups, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Vast improvement on staff and service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

Have visited this pub 3 times now , the first being not quite a good experience, I found staff and service lacking in standards and personality, and although the food was good the service and staff attitude didnt match this. But please don't be put off by this as I have visited again twice and it is quite clear they have had a staff turn around and may I add it is certainly for the best as the food any where can be great but if the customer service doesn't follow it it can ruin your dining experience.
from entering the pub we were greeted with a big hello from a very helpful young man who made us feel very welcome from the moment we walked in until we left nothing was too much trouble for him, we ordered some food and he was very attentive and helpful allowing us to swap chips for something else, and change our orders from what was on the menu. I stupidly forgot to give my table number but instead of the usual response you get when you walk in pubs and do that which is I cant take your order outside without a table number and you have to go back outside and get it return and be at the end of the que, I explained where we were sitting and he knew the number, Food arrived promptly and was superb and again we were served by this rather charming cheeky staff member I had to ask him if he was new here as I hadn't seen him before on our other two visits , he said he was and that his name was chris and had not long joined, the pub well I must say he is a credit to your pub as was the other staff members that were working that evening as it was a complete turn around from our first visit and service we received, I will be recommending this pub to my friends and family based on my last two visits

• Visited September 2013

London, United Kingdom
“One of the most warm and welcoming places to eat.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

Read the negative review but thought we'd have a quick drink here as staying at Shorefields Park. Have no idea what some people expect? I visited with my husband and three young grandchildren. The welcome we received was lovely so we came back that evening to eat. The staff were young and very efficient with a smile. The food was of very good quality and although very busy that night we didn't have to wait long for our food. All in all a very special evening not to mention Moo and Bonny the landladies cute Westie dogs. By far the best pub/restaurant in the area.

• Visited September 2013
New Milton, United Kingdom
“EXCELLENT”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

Great food- BEST FISH AND CHIPS ever!!!!
So good, I always have the same.
Great atmosphere, friendly and helpful staff.

Visited August 2013
Romford
“Very nice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

We were staying at nearby Shorefield Park and came here for a change. Glad we did as it was so much nicer to eat here than in the park clubhouse. Staff friendly and helpful and the fish and chips was superb!

Visited August 2013
“Not what it used to be.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

Me and my partner used to be regulars to the oak but have been away since the beginning of the year.
The royal oak used to be relaxing, busy, and you knew you could go there for quality food and locally sourced food. Sadly none of these things are there now it has all gone the atmosphere is totally different. The night we went it was empty which is very unusual for the summer we should of noticed and walked out the door. I don't write reviews but I felt like i had to on this ocasion I am shocked at how much this place has gone down hill. I think the owners really need to sort this out. It used to be such a great pub.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank davina0987
royal_oak_downton, Manager at The Royal Oak, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review us, we apologise if your visit to The Royal Oak wasn't up to standard. We have gone through some changes since the beginning of the year, we will look into your complaints and feedback. We hope your next visit will be more enjoyable.

Kind regards.