“OVERNIGHT STOPOVER”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We stayed overnight here on the way home from the Isle of Wight. The rooms were large, clean and very comfortable. Bathroom fantastic. The staff were extremely efficient and friendly without being intrusive. Breakfast excellent. Really good value for money - highly recommend this place.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Ok, you know if you've read a few of my reviews that I can be quite harsh so it's a real pleasure to write such a positive review. Wide choice of menu, not too expensive for fresh fish. The service is impeccable and friendly, not obsequious but positively present when you want it.

I had the Turbot with a glass of house white. The fish itself was cooked to perfection, not overdone, still very juicy as only fresh fish can be. The light leek and cream sauce was gorgeous and the fluffy mash bed was creamy and smooth with a little seasoning. The fresh veg delivered on a separate plate was again lightly cooked. If you are the sort who likes their Broccoli cooked until soggy then maybe you better mention it beforehand. This was just right, tops delicate and main body still a little firm, new potatoes with a little salted butter melted over.

The ambience is quiet but not maudlin, clientele was a little older than me and clearly 'well healed', possibly 'yachties'. I don't say this in a negative sense, just to give a feel for place.

Would I eat there again, absolutely, lots of other menu options I'd like to try. Would make a nice romantic evening as the surrounding area is worth an evening stroll..... assuming it's not -6 or pouring with rain.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

It was the quaintness of the place from the outside, then the tempting menu that drew me in to the Bluebird Restaurant. Everyone is greeted at the door and inside it's a cosy old beamed building.
It was too early for a main meal so I decided on a cream tea. Now I've travelled a fair bit around the country and I have to say this was the best cream tea I've had in years! The scones (one plain, one fruit) were obviously freshly made, not too big, not too small, and served with enough clotted cream and jam that I didn't have to eke them out to make sure I'd have enough for the 2. The coffee was good and hot and everything promptly served.
Next to me was a large family, gathering for brunch on their grandfathers birthday. The staff seemed very willing to accommodate the requests of variations from the menu to cater for the needs of all ages: a toddler in a high chair, small children, teenagers and adults. The locals obviously visit this place not just the tourists, always a good sign!
The decor may not be flash, but in my opinion, in keeping with the building and I enjoyed looking at the various paintings and pictures on the walls.
Excellent service and if I ever get down to the New Forest again I wouldn't hesitate to revisit and possibly stay at this B+B and restaurant.

Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

This was the 5th restaurant we have eaten in this week, and was voted the best so far by all the family! The food was excellent and the service better, and as for our mission to find the perfect home-made creme brulee, I think we found it!

Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

We were staying near Southampton and wanted to have a lovely fish meal.
Through trip advisor we found this lovely restaurant. Both the starters and main course's were delicious. The staff were very attentive, and we thought it was good value for money.
We only had one problem, as my husband is in a wheelchair, there were no disabled toilets, so he had to ues the ladies!!!!! Fortunately it was early so was quite