“Great Xmas do again more tea please!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Grand Hotel

The Grand Hotel
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Lytham St Anne's
Preston, England, United Kingdom
“Great Xmas do again more tea please!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014

Another fantastic Xmas do food was great and party atmosphere fab, music wasn't as good as previous years but our party still enjoyed ourselves. Please review the size of your milk jugs for tea and coffee as we have to ask every time for more milk and then have to wait or ask again before we get any or just put more of your small jugs per table.
Breakfast was rather chaotic and not great if like me you can't eat egg as the offer was egg and bacon only.
The room we had was large spacious and had a view to the sea, unfortunately due to a horrific winter storm it sounded like the large floor to ceiling window was going to blow in and the bathroom window had possibly been damaged by a previous guest and was sucked open and slammed shut by the wind which scared us to death luckily it didn't break and maintenance managed to repair it. Not everyone drinks coffee so while the tassimo coffee maker is very nice for those that do I can't stand coffee so we had to ring down to reception and pay for a pot of tea so please put a kettle back in and a tea bag for the tea drinkers of the world.
That being said we are booked in for this year again for the fourth year in a row.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Fyldecoaster, General Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, February 8, 2014
Dear Alison S

I’m pleased to hear you all had another great time at your Christmas party…

Thank you for your kind input, we will certainly look into the points you have raised and see if we can improve on these items.

Although I can announce that from Monday the 9th February the Grand Twentytwo Signature + rooms will have a Nespresso Coffee and Tea making facility within the room, serving high quality Nespresso Crealto Coffee and Jing Teas.

If this proves popular we will look at introducing in other grades of rooms….!

Derrick Holland

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (368)
Holmfirth, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014

I've just returned from a weekend with my family at the Grand Hotel and I have nothing but praise for the place. The staff, especially the lady at reception (sorry I never caught her name) were friendly and helpful from the moment we got there to the moment we left.

The rooms, especially those in the newer part of the hotel at the back were spacious, modern and furnished to a very high standard with generous refreshments, lovely bathrooms and extremely comfy beds.

The restaurant was also excellent, both for evening meals and for the very nice continental breakfasts. The fact that on both Saturdays and Sundays breakfast was served until 11.30 also allowed us to make good use of the pool and spa facilities on both mornings of our stay.

The pool and spa was lovely too and we used it several times over the course of the weekend. There really wasn't anything that let the Grand Hotel down and it was the little extras, such as complimentary mulled wine when we arrived, and the seeming total lack of noise (despite the hotel hosting large functions) that made it a fantastic weekend. I would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Christopher S
Fyldecoaster, General Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Dear Christopher S

It has been a pleasure to look after you to the Grand Hotel and I would like to thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor, your feedback assists us to improve our quality of service and to maintain a high level of customer service.

I am delighted to know that you really enjoyed your stay with us and we will always do our very best to make our guests feel at home and comfortable at the Grand

I look forward to welcoming you both back at the Grand Hotel in the future.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

Myself and my husband stayed at the Grand Twenty Two this weekend, I booked it as a christmas present on a january offer that the hotel was offering on their website. The grand hotel itself is a beautiful hotel, we have stayed there three times before this visit and have never been disappointed with our stay. Unfortunately the Grand Twenty Two was a really big let down, when I booked it I didn't read anywhere that it was not manned by hotel staff, you are taken over by a member of staff and shown how to get into the hotel and shown to your room, after that other than a phone to call the reception in The Grand your on your own. I had booked the studio which is a lovely room, a really good size with a lovely large bed and an amazing bathroom. That was the only good thing, the lounge area downstairs as it's described lacks atmosphere, it would be nice if there was a small bar or perhaps a small reception that's manned during the day, I like to walk in to a hotel and be greeted by a member of staff. My husband used the spa facilities which he said were really good and very clean. I was very disappointed with the breakfast, the plates are too small, you have to go up so many times just to have a few things off the continental breakfast, there was a long queue for the toaster so I didn't bother, I have stayed in some lovely hotels around the country that offer the same 4/5 star rating as The Grand but their breakfasts are much better, a larger choice and much better atmosphere.
I don't think I would ever book The Grand Twenty Two again and I certainly don't think the room rate should be the same as The Grand itself, personally I think the rooms in Twenty Two would be better sold on a room only basis it has a feel of an upmarket holiday apartment not a luxury hotel.

Room Tip: Stay in The Grand itself in the signature rooms
1 Thank Meldean72
Dear Meldean72,

I’m sorry to hear that you didn’t fully enjoy your visit to Grand Twentytwo.

I feel the main point is that you didn’t realise that the building is un-manned, I will have a look at making that clearer on the website.

To Clarify the room rates.

Grand Twentytwo rates are slightly cheaper than the main building, however this is to only reflect that you are having to walk approximately 50 metres to use the main facilities which are included in all stay's at Grand Twentytwo.
As described your room was up to a high standard which is reflected by the room rate.

Regarding the continental breakfast, we have introduced larger plates along with the grilled bacon and scrambled eggs as an added extra, they should have been available, I do apologise if they were not.

I do hope your visit hasn’t detracted from you to coming and stay with us here at the Grand in the future as we will still be delighted to look after you.

Yorkshire, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

Stayed at Grand22 last weekend, after booking one of their January weekend special deals. We were flexible with our dates, so were able to chose a weekend where a signature + room was available. Arrived on a wet Friday evening, and after checking in at the main hotel, was escorted across the road to Grand22, and shown to our room – we were really impressed ; it was massive, lots of sofas, a wonderfully comfy queen size bed, a free standing bath, 2 giant HD flatscreen tvs (one overlooking the bed and the other over the bath), and a wonderful balcony overlooking the coastline. The January deal meant we got a few extras, chocolates, bottle of fizz, toiletries and a some other nice sweeteners.
Over the weekend, we made use of the hotels swimming pool, sauna and Jacuzzi, all were really clean. We were tempted to make use of the hotel’s communal mountain bikes, but the tyres were flat, and no-one had a pump ! Breakfast in the main building was good, other reviewers mentioned having to wait for toast, and bacon n eggs, but on both mornings we were down early enough to avoid the rush. Lots of choice, and good quality. Coffee was delicious, and all served with a welcome smile.
As has been mentioned before, the Grand22 is completely separate to the main hotel, it is unstaffed and with automated access at every door – it does feel a bit more like an apartment block, rather than an adjoining annexe . There is a fab lounge , which takes up the entire ground floor, but we were the only ones who actually used it, and other than the guy who cleans the rooms, we saw barely anyone else in the building all weekend. So we did feel like we weren’t really staying at the Grand ; we were separated from the day to day hotel hussle and bustle. But then again, there was a very large party going on in the main hotel on Friday, which potentially may have caused some noise issues, where as we slept like babies, no loud drunk guests, no late night music, no banging doors, no lifts going up and down – so we were happy.
Overall we were really pleased with our stay, and would happily recommend either The Grand, or Grand22.

Room Tip: Signature+ was the biggest room, so if you are flexible on dates, go for one of those.
1 Thank Milky-bar-man
Fyldecoaster, General Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Dear Milky-bar-man

Thank you for your excellent review and recommend both The Grand and Grand Twentytwo.

As you have mentioned both buildings are quite different, Grand Twentytwo is a tranquil promenade retreat with contemporary rooms, fixtures and fittings, a place to relax away from the lively activity of the Main hotel.

However you get the best of both worlds as you still get to use all the facilities in the main building, the spa, cafe grand, terrace etc.
And with being only 50 metres away you are closer to the restaurant than most large hotel complexes.

We hope to see more new customers soon.

General Manger
Stoke on Trent
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

"Just got back from another stay at the Grand hotel lytham, this I can see will be our last. We stayed in the new Grand Twentytwo, room was very good and Upto date. The let down is the atmosphere, None!!!!! Your annexe hotel is 50 meters away but you may aswell be in Blackpool. We saw a cleaner in the hotel twice and an electrician. As the web states let yourself in and out this is true. Not a sole about so stay in your room or up you get and go out, the entrance is lacking in so many ways and the signage could be slightly bigger to break up the bland look from the outside. It has a look of a resting home from the outside and the silence of a morgue when entering. I travel to many hotels throughout the year and always have regarded what the grand is trying do as commendable, but I'm afraid this is far from my idea of an elegant break. One more negative is with breakfast, need to deliver toast with coffee like most 4/5 star hotels do. Leaving you with a 10 min wait, and not much choice for anything else....did not visit breakfast hip this morning slept in instead.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank theboy75
Dear …. The Boy

I would normally write a response, however I don't think it is very fair you have posted the review twice.

I have asked trip advisor to remove one review however they will not do so without your authorisation, seems a daft rule on a clear duplicate posting!

Or was it was damage to our reputation that you wanted to do
If so I feel it is a bit small minded, we have a strong clientele of customers that are extremely happy with our service and post reviews relative to their experience.

I thought as someone that portrays to be in the travel industry if you were dissatisfied with our service would have put your points over to us personally whilst on the premises, I pity the customers you represent!

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2014

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear …. The Boy

Or was it was damage to our reputation that you wanted to do

LYTHAM
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2014

I always have a table at the Grand Hotel on New Years Eve, and it is simply the best, from the food to the whole event.
The resident DJ keeps you entertained with a great mix of music, bubbles & Canapes on balloons hats & treats on your table.
The food at any function is 5* a completely different chef to the restaurant & never disappointing.
I wouldn't go anywhere else and would highly recommend that you book your table early

Room Tip: We do not stay over.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear uronlyhearonce,

Thank you for your many visits to the hotel for the New Year’s Eve celebrations.
I’m pleased that Sid Eccles, our resident DJ, has delivered a most enjoyable evening for all, I will make a point of telling him of the many compliments he has received from guests.

Thank you for the review and we all hope to see you again at next years celebration.