“A great stay made superb by the little extras.”
Review of The Grand Hotel

The Grand Hotel
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Lytham St Anne's
Manchester, United Kingdom
“A great stay made superb by the little extras.”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

My partner and I are not usually the type for leaving reviews, we feel people only go out of there way to leave a review when it's overly negative. It is on this basis that I promised myself i would review our first stay at The Grand Hotel in Lytham.

We both live in Lancashire but unfortunately not close enough to be more frequent visitors to Lytham and the surrounding areas although this may change as the intention of this weekend break was to have not only a few days to ourself but also to have a nosey at properties in the area.

We didn't manage to see many properties in the end, due to the weather in part but also due to the hotel's amenities and lovely staff. Not such a bad thing as it just means we can come again soon to finish what we started with any luck.

The room we checked into was a lovely first floor suite with a sea view and a nice view of the Friday night's sunset - sadly one of the only times the sun made an appearance over the weekend but we'd struggle to pin that on anyone except perhaps the Met Office.

We had several meals in the hotel restaurant and after chatting to other diners and staff we can agree that the standard of food served was superlative and comparable to some high end London based eateries we've been lucky enough to try in recent years. The continental breakfast was easily the best I've seen, with a range of fruits, fresh meat, pastries and fantastic coffee, just what you need after a relaxed nights sleep. It put to shame some of the "continental breakfasts" I've chosen to skip over the years.

And so onto the main reason for leaving this review, the staff.

The hotel was a little quieter than we expected for a weekend but i have no doubt the weather played a huge part in this as monsoon after monsoon seemed to roll in throughout the evening from the sea which was literally across the road.

The general standard of customer service is extremely high but in our experience The Grand possesses something which is very hard to find. Staff who are willing to go the extra mile and beyond in the name of customer care, something which you don't encounter very often at all these days.

In particular I'd like to single out one of the receptionists called Jenny who was a pleasure to deal with and most helpful the numerous times we went to seek further information.
Secondly, the Night Porter John who looked after us each night and made sure we were never without a drink in the bar once the midnight oil was in full flow. He offered to print off some information after hearing us discussing property and estate agents while sat on the opposite side of the bar. Upon waking up the next morning we had delivered to the room a portfolio that would out most estate agents to shame, more than the google map print off we'd expected. It turned out to be invaluable with the weather pushing us for time on the Sunday and for this we return home with John possibly having helped us find our next home in Lytham.

Overall the staff at The Grand are one of the best groups of staff I've encountered in my time and they in no short part have ensured our return and continued custom for as long as they're there and are the reason for me posting this review at all. I hope they see this as we assured them that this review would be forthcoming (if a little late) and we look forward to our next stay at The Grand Hotel.

Hopefully we'll see you soon.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view, any extra charge is worth it.
1 Thank Sandra M
Fyldecoaster, General Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Dear Sandra M

Thank you for your review, it was a delight to read!

Your comments regarding the breakfast are pleasing, we have listened to guest feedback and responded with a new continental breakfast selection that is going down tremendously well with our customers.

However I’m overjoyed with your comments regarding the staff and I would like to thank you for singling out Jenny and John as they deserve the praise.
I will ensure they both read your review, no doubt they will both be delighted!

Happy house hunting!

Derrick Holland

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (387)
Tamworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 29, 2012

We have just returned from a two night break. This is a very good hotel, we stopped in a suite on floor two. There were two rooms one main bedroom with a huge bed TV/DVD player, plenty of wardrobe space, and the other with a sofa bed and seating area with a sea view leading out onto a balcony. The bathroom was huge with two sinks, a bath and separate shower. The room was very clean and the staff were all excellent, I used the WIFI which again was superb,unlike some hotels. I would not hesitate in returning to this hotel. If I had to leave any feedback (not complain) I would also agree with one of the previous comments about a kettle and bigger cups in the room, we came back from a cold wet night in Blackpool with our son who had fallen asleep but the drinks machine was too loud to use and we really wanted a hot cuppa. Also we wanted a sandwich and there was no menu in our room, I asked at reception and was told to ask in the bar who told me to just ring down and ask for what we wanted, and if they had it they would do it. Later on when we did this no-one answered the phone and in the end my wife went down and ordered them, I just think as with other hotels of similar class there could be a room service menu, so you know what and when you can order. I feel like I'm complaining but I am not, this really is a wonderful hotel,the staff were very helpful and friendly and we plan to stop there again some time.

Martin & Sharon

2 Thank Martin W
Fyldecoaster, General Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Dear Martin & Sharon

We are currently updating our room service menu to coincide with our latest Café Grand menu, the new room service menu will be operational by the end of the week.
Whilst we are producing this we removed the previous version as we no longer had ingredients that were on offer.
A temporary menu had been printed for the interim, however it seems we have failed to deliver this information to you, I do apologize.

I’m pleased this didn’t detract from your stay and hope to see you again in the future.

cheshire united kingdom
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Amazing place,from greeting upon arrival to breakfast in room.Nothing was to much trouble for all staff.Breakfast was amazing from fresh fruit,yogurt,cereal,bacon,scrambledeggs,bacon,and coffee.One tiny negative was the coffee maker in room,was awarkard to use,prefer a kettle.Will defo be returning.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank she00123
Fyldecoaster, General Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Dear she00123

Thank you for your recent visit and taking time to post a review.
I’m pleased you enjoyed the breakfast offering, following feedback from guests it is something we have worked hard in developing. The outcome is that we are getting plenty of good feedback regarding our continental breakfast and how guests are enjoying our new selection.
So please, all constructive comments are appreciated, we do discuss them and if valid we will act upon them.

Kind regards

lytham
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Stayed with my boyfriend for one night , Fabulous hotel .. service was wonderful and very friendly staff
Food was gorgeous , only complaint was , A glass of wine was £8 ...
We just found that abit too much ..
Apart from that was a very enjoyable stay

Room Tip: Book early
1 Thank lisa f
Dear lisa f,

Thank you for your recent visit I’m pleased you had an enjoyable stay.

I will point out that the £8 glass of wine you had (250ml) is a 1/3 of bottle which is on the menu at £24, not unreasonable!
As examples to future guest our glass of wine prices start from £4.20 for a £125ml glass of Shiraz, Rose or Sauvignon Blanc.

Once again thank you for your visit.

Kind regards

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2012

My Partner and i came for a 1 Night stay in August this year, he had been here before and raved about the hotel. On arriving i realised all that he said was true. Impressive on arrival and in a Wonderful location on the Sea front. On arriaval at Reception we were greeted by the Lovely and Professional Jenny, who was extremely efficient and very friendly. She gave us informative information on what the hotel offered, eg, pool, spa times, Resturant opening times etc. On entering our room i was really impressed, the Executive Compact room was A good sized room, very nicely Decorated, Large bed which was so comfy, Plenty of Wardrobe space, and a large spacious very clean Bathroom. The Continental Breakfast the following morning was lovely, there was a really good choice of food, ( if you leave hungry it is your own fault) and pleny of it. I am really looking forward to our next visit, which will hopefully be very soon, and will be more than 1 night this time, and i will be using the pool and spa on my next visit. Wonderful stay, i didnt want to leave. Thank you to the lovely friendly staff.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Fyldecoaster, General Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Dear Michelle A

Thank you for taking the time to post a review, it is much appreciated.
I will ensure Jenny reads your comments, she does a wonderful job and deserves the credit, thank you.
I’m also pleased you enjoyed the breakfast, we have put a lot of thought into redesigning the buffet and increasing the selection on offer, it is appreciated that the customers have noticed and responded with some good feedback.

Regards,

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 20, 2012

As a regular in st Anne's I've wanted to try this hotel for a few years. It was amazing. From reception to room, although we didn't use the spa the area and equipment in the gym were first class. Room service was perfect and breakfast was even better. Can't wait to go back

Dear Shaunthesheep12345

Thank you for the review, it’s nice to hear that chose to stay with us and enjoyed your visit.
Hope to see you again soon and don’t forget to bring your trunks!

Chippenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 18, 2012

I visited the Grand with my parents, Husband, Brother & brother's girlfriend as a trip down memory lane! We used to frequent the hotel when I was 11 (over 20 years ago!) as my step dad stayed here a lot on business and even proposed to my mum in the restaurant of the hotel!

I remember it being lovely even then but we were very impressed with the new decor and feel of the place. When we last visited in 1991 the spa wasnt there either so we went and checked out the facilities and were very impressed with that too!

The decor in Café Grand along with the funky background music added to the great atmosphere as we dined and the food was exceptional! We started with a tapas of sausages, chorizo and black pudding and for my main meal I had a fillet steak which was cooked to perfection. We ordered several sides including new potatoes and green beans which were all cooked with a bit of a twist - garlic and chilli in the green beans. The flavours were delicious!

Continental breakfast is included in the room price but I recommend the full english!

Our room was an executive compact room and although one of the smallest bedrooms it was still a good size and the bathroom was huge! The staff were all really friendly and helpful and made us feel so welcome.

I was very upset to have to leave as we'd had such a fantastic weekend and am hoping we'll be able to go back soon!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear ClareBear1979,

Thank you for your recent visit, we have changed over the years haven’t we!
Your last visit would have been when the current proprietors had just taken over the hotel.
I remember it well, I was 21 and working as a chef in the kitchen, maybe the food had an influence on your step dad proposing to your mother!

I’m pleased we are still living up and surpassing your expectations in all areas, the team work hard in trying to deliver first class food and service and it is nice to read these many compliments on Tripadvisor.
With the continued investment from Richard and Mandy we hope to keep pushing forward, constantly refurbishing, creating new ideas and keeping at the forefront of the industry.
So thank you for your review and we hope to see you again soon!