“Lots of fun, very poor food, jaded rooms”
Review of St. Ives Hotel

St. Ives Hotel
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Lytham St Anne's
Lancashire
“Lots of fun, very poor food, jaded rooms”
Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

We visited the St Ives for a family gathering, we had done so before and always had a good weekend.
The good points:
The hotel is well located on the prom and v close to the attractions of gentile St Anne's on Sea.
The (many) children in our party were well catered for with the indoor pool, the games rooms and the resident entertainer.
Some of the rooms are very jaded whilst others are very attractive - pot luck!
The entertainer was v good at engaging a very mixed audience.

The less good points:
Obtaining a room is a bit of a 'mare; the hotel only want to let out rooms for a minimum of 2 nights at the weekends. This is a pain when you only want to stay for 1!!
The self-serve dinner was grim - a real hotchpotch of items, most of which were poorly cooked. There was a dearth of fresh veg and salad - very much a 'lowest common denominator' meal, yuk.

Overall, we had a lot of fun with the extended family in a hotel that needs to work hard to get better.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Just come back from st ives hotel
Had a lovely time - close to blackppol and st annes - cinema on your doorstep too
Food great ( lots of it too )
Value fir money great
Staff helpful
Room basic but clean
Will be going back!!
Only problem i had room walls quite thin could hear snoring next door - reception moved me rooms so no real problem

• Stayed January 2013
Sharon_Webb, Owner at St. Ives Hotel, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Thank you for your review. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel. Sorry to hear about your noisy neighbour but pleased that we managed to find you a quieter room to move to. Hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.
pontefract
Reviewed January 16, 2013

we love the st ives, we love the staff and the position of the hotel. They are doing the rooms up bit by bit , most still dated ,,, we love the familly entertainment evenings even though our daughter is getting older,,,the food isnt as plentiful what there is is well cooked but the chice is now linited , we used to love the home made sweets , those days are definately gone , def not the value it was which is a SHAME..we have gone back year after year , but there are better offers on the market from better hotels posssibly this year is the year it ends..

Room Tip: not over the noisy ballroom
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank westyorkshire-gal
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Just back from st ives hotel. This was my 4th visit, however my girlfriend has been going since she was little. This visit we took our 4month old baby and the staff we great at changing our room for one closer to the lift (for the pram)
It seems slowly but surely the hotel is being done up(every time we come something has changed- this year fantastic new dinning room). Would like to see the toddler play area refurbished. Food is great, plenty to choice from and relaxed. Kids running about every where..Great family atmophere. Perfect location for town and beach. Will be returning again...small point to note hotel is very warm.

1 Thank cb8d
Reviewed January 6, 2013

During 2012 my wife and 4 infant children accompanied by a neighbour (recently widowed ), and her 2 children made two separate holiday break weeks to the St Ives . I myself could not attend due to my business commitments . They came back with high praise bearing in mind the relatively small amount they had paid . Comments we read on their return were as follows- food drab, rooms tatty and kids everywhere accompanied by single mums !
If the gentleman who passed this latter comment had taken the time to engage in conversation with these mums he would have found himself talking to my wife and our neighbour !!!!
Having now had the pleasure myself to have stayed here for a short break with my wife and kids here is my honest opinion..... Rooms average n clean, food brilliant with more than enough choice, pool warm n clean, kids entertainment good and with the cinema and games room it has more than I expected.
Having got home this eve and the kids upset to be back home, that's says it all !
I personally have worked and travelled around the globe and to sum up value for money in the hospitality trade at this level it has to be The St Ives !!!! And that's my opinion ( a mere self employed joiner )
Thanks to Pam, Chef and all the Ives crew..... See u again soon .

1 Thank Oyster world Tim
Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

Been to this hotel about 5-6 times now and love it. Most of the staff are friendly, rooms are a good size and clean. Poop is always warm, restaurant it lovely and food is too. The kids entertainment is just fab my children love this place. We just stayed for New year and will be booking for next new year also.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Kimberzpeter
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I have reviewed this hotel before and said it was a great family hotel, I have also stayed here many times. We arrived very late with tired twin boys, checked in and went to our room.The room was cold and damp, however we were shattered and been driving all day so let it go.
In the morning I complained to reception and asked to see a manager, they did their best to avoid me speaking to a manager and said they would get housekeeping to look into my complaints.
After quite a few attempts I finally got to see a manager. We went to the room, which I pointed out clearly had a damp problem, that has been covered up, you can see the line around the room where the plaster has been cut back, patched and painted to botch up the rising damp issue, the bathroom has not been correctly cleaned in a long time & obviously never seen bleach, the tiles in the shower were foul with soap scum & mould, there was mould all around the floor silicon & mirror.
We received pitiful apology and an even more pitiful 20% off our bill, I did say that this didn’t go far enough but no more was being offered, I was also told that she would discuss this with housekeeping.
Clearly, the room issue is underlying and could not be dealt with by housekeeping, however the bathroom was appalling and worthy of head of housekeeping being sacked.
Sadly the hotel requires some major work in quite a few rooms and owners that care, which doesn’t seem to be the case.
In general the reception, waiting and kitchen staff are pleasant & helpful, but the management need to take a long hard look at their quality of product.
WE WILL NOT BE STAYING AGAIN