“Birthday”
Review of Clifton Arms Hotel

Clifton Arms Hotel
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Lytham St Anne's
Reviewed December 14, 2013

Last Visited the main restaurant 4 years ago for a Birthday treat; Enjoyed a lunchtime Xmas menu that was excellent. Very traditional; good value food. Have been there frequently for lunchtime; wonderful. I chose to return this Birthday for an evening menu that was very ordinary, minimal, artful looking food; with "no heart". It's not the food that needs to change, it's the interior. Just charge a bit more for the food; the food quality has to be sacrosanct. Also be aware of the staff; never allow them to become complacent. Our young lady was very sweet; spot on! But found one young man a little too patronizing.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
CliftonGM, General Manager at Clifton Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 15, 2013

Dear Josephine R, Thank you for your recent review. There is a difference between the menus which we offer so I think that what you were expecting and what was served has caused confusion. We provide an informal brasserie menu at lunchtime but this changes in December to a traditional Christmas lunch in the restaurant which is what you have enjoyed in the past. Our dinner menu is different again, with a la carte choices of fine dining quality. We have just been awarded a 2nd AA Rosette for the quality of our food served so I agree that the menu needs to be sacrosanct. I also agree that the restaurant needs refurbishing to reflect the change in our direction. The bar & lounge areas were refurbished in October so this has highlighted the fact even more and we are scheduling the work to be done depending on business levels in the New Year. I appreciate your constructive feedback and I hope that we will be able to welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed December 7, 2013

Back in October I booked a festive lunch for four of us, my teen, my mum, and niece and myself...cost was only £19.50, including a free glass of prosecco each.
We went yesturday, first time in the Clifton. It was everything I thought it would be. We were attended to straight away, Christopher our waiter,was so friendly and helpful as were all the staff. Starters arrived promptly and were delicious as was the main..the desserts were so different and tasty. Restaurant wasn't too busy but had a nice ambience. Coffee and mince pies were served in the lounge. We had just the right amount of attention, not too pushy and didn't feel rushed. The Clifton itself is very lush and comfortable, even had 'white company' bathroom products in the ladies..I will be returning here, even if it's only for a quiet coffee, overlooking lytham green.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank LancashireQueenbee
CliftonGM, General Manager at Clifton Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2013

Dear LancashireQueenbee, Thank you for your recent review. Your feedback is 'just fabulous' too! I'm delighted that you were so impressed with the Clifton Arms. Our Christmas Lunches are extremely popular so we're pleased that you enjoyed the whole experience. Chris will really appreciate his special mention and the chefs will be grateful for the fantastic food comments. Have a great Christmas and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed December 5, 2013

I've stayed here for about 30 nights per year for 5 years. That means spending a lot of money but I consider it worthwhile. They recently refurbished most of the rooms and the public areas which has improved the "look".
It is ideally located for a short walk to many restaurants, shops etc. But best of all it is within spitting distance of one of the best pubs in the UK.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
CliftonGM, General Manager at Clifton Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2013

Dear Ray C, Thank you for your recent review. As a frequent customer, your opinion will certainly be appreciated and I'm so pleased that you enjoy your stays with us. I'm also delighted that you've recognised our current refurbishment progress. You are correct about our enviable location and I'm sure many will agree with your thoughts on the local pub! We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed December 4, 2013

Used to stay at the Clifton Arms quite a lot a few years ago. Stayed here again recently and was was not disappointed. Has a room looking out over the bay so had a great view to wake up to. The hotel is well located near a host of good restaurants so no need to drive. Breakfast was good, as was the service.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Dear Ken P, Thank you for your recent review. I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay and you appreciated our great location. We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Reviewed December 1, 2013

Its been a couple of years since me and my wife have stayed at the Clifton Hotel but thought it would be a great idea to celebrate our parents golden wedding anniversary, at the end of November 2013 for a two night stay. In our opinion we feel the restaurant meals were very small in size and there was little to chooses from. Although what we got was excellent, (more vegetables would of been nice) we would strongly advice anyone staying at the weekend to check that your room is not directly above one of the venue rooms as my father in law was. The music went on till 12-45 in the morning and after doors banging etc it did not stop till 1.20 am. (not good practice on the managers part for a 4 star hotel) We must point out my father in law was offered another room at 12-15 am but at 74 they did not fancy moving at that time of the morning. A discount was offered but the evening was spoiled. Would we stay their again-sorry but no we feel there is better 4 star accommodation around, better managed and organised.

2  Thank PETER o
CliftonGM, General Manager at Clifton Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2013

Dear PETER o, Thank you for your recent review. Please accept my sincerest apologies. This was a genuine oversight and, once known, we tried to rectify immediately but I understand your disappointment. We have now put measures in place to ensure this doesn't happen again. Thank you for choosing the Clifton Arms Hotel to celebrate your parents Golden Wedding Anniversary, I'm glad that you found the food to be excellent as we have recently been awarded a 2nd AA Rosette. I will speak to the Head Chef about the vegetables as I'm sure this can be easily addressed. I hope you will decide to stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed November 11, 2013

After a rather gruelling 5hour journey from Essex it was an absolute delight to arrive at this lovely hotel.My sister used to stay here for 2weeks at a time when my father was alive.Sadly passed away a year ago,so this was the first visit since then.We travelled with my son and his partner and we were given lovely rooms.It would have been really good to have sea views,however we took in the view the following day,which turned out to be a stunning winter day.
We had a drink in the bar and a meal,and the food was superb as was the wonderful staff.
After living in London it was such a refreshing change to be attended to by such wonderful friendly and amusing staff?So very welcoming.
The only downside was that getting to sleep proved to be a little difficult due to the noise from what I believe was a wedding reception.Could have done without that as we were really tired.We would love to stay again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
CliftonGM, General Manager at Clifton Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

Dear allyson w, Thank you for your recent review. I'm so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, particularly with regards to the service and food. Our team work very hard to ensure that guests are happy which means such praise is really appreciated. We hope you will stay again in the future as Lytham is a lovely place to visit.

Reviewed November 10, 2013

Dined at the Clifton Arms last night ... what more can I say but another fabulous evening. I absolutely adore the new decor. It was busy because the hotel was hosting a wedding but the atmosphere was great. Russell (bar staff) was on top form, he works really hard, he's hilarious and such a great asset to the hotel. The food was fantastic, couldn't fault it and the dining room staff are a delight. Great evening and great value for money. Only wish they were open to the public on Christmas Day. Hope to return soon. x

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
CliftonGM, General Manager at Clifton Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

Dear lesley1071, Thank you for your recent review. We really appreciate your fabulous feedback! I'm delighted that you were so impressed with our new lounge & bar decor, the quality of food and standard of service. Russell will be particularly pleased. We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.