“a pleasant surprise”
Review of The Lindum Hotel

The Lindum Hotel
Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in Lytham St Anne's
Reviewed October 3, 2012

We stayed at The Lindum last Sunday night, I had looked at the reviews on trip advisor and we approached the front door with some trepidation, so much so that we left the case in the car (yes there were a number of spaces in the car park free!) until we had checked out the room. The room was excellent - so we quickly got the case and brought it up to the room. The decor was a little dated BUT the room was clean and offered everything that you may need - from the well stocked welcome tray to the two comfortable beds. Downstairs in the lounge the bar snacks were excellent and good value. The staff at the desk and in the bar were very attentive and did everything that they could to make our short stay a pleasure - I would definitely recommend the hotel!

Room Tip: room 105 - a large room with a double bed and a single
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
lindumreply, Public Relations Manager at The Lindum Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

Hello There

Many thanks for your kind review. Its nice to hear that you enjoyed your stay and some of our recent trip advisor comments we have unfortunately received did not put you off.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Kind Regards

Reviewed September 26, 2012

This is not my first port of call as I have e mailed the manager and the response I received was not acceptable.
You wouldn't think I would complain as this was a 'free nights stay' with lloyds TSB, well what a disappointment.

Advise for people with young children...... do not take them and the reasons being are as follows -
My 23 month old daughter was subjected to 2 boiling hot teapots placed in front of her to touch!!! This is unacceptable and very careless.
My 23 month old daughter and 4 year old were charged £6.50 each for breakfast, they ate melon and toast but the response I received from the manager was basically its not their fault the children didn't eat more - pathetic.
The manager has refunded me £13.00 to my account so ii believe as a gesture of good will!!
Thank you!

The staff were miserable and not in the slightest interested in anything and disgustingly careless, this has been addressed with a response of ' i will look into this' meaning?...

I did pay a surcharge of £25 to upgrade to take the children but really wished we had not of bothered it was the worst stay I have ever had.

Monies were taken from my bank account without myself knowing - I was happy for the £25 to be taken but not £36 for breakfast we had not requested.
YES I contacted them and asked why they had done this and they said would you like a refund, is that really still acceptable to freely take money without consent?

The rooms were very dated and the view was not nice in ours, but this really was not a huge issue, the issues are my child nearly being injured, staffs attitudes, prices for children to eat and money being taken from my bank without being authorised.

When e mailing the manager I expected nothing less than a meaningful apology and my full fees refunded, we had an e mail basically coming across that they were not really interested and I felt they thought I was overacting! They refunded £13 and advised to contact the marketing company that lloyds TSB used.... astonishing really. I will be taking it further and I can see their responses to peoples complaints on here seems to be very similar and they are 'never in the wrong'.
I would never ever return not even fro free......!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank G-Jones13
lindumreply, Public Relations Manager at The Lindum Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2012

Mrs Jones

In response to your post. First of all I would like to say that we take all point raised on trip advisor very seriously and an no point do we reply to any post with the attitude of "We are never in the wrong"
If you feel that our dining room staff were "Miserable and not in the slightest interested in anything and disgustingly careless" then we apologise. The Directors and myself have looked into the issue and the staff working that day have been advised of your comments. In our defence, the attitude of our staff is something that very rarely receives negative feedback. Infact this is an area we pride ourselves on.
With regards to the incident involving the teapots the response of "i will look into this" is not entirely accurate. Although we cannot post data from the e mail we sent to you I can quote our response of "we will investigate the health and safety matter, as we agree this could have caused an incident" is nothing more than the truth. A full investigation has already been implemented and staff have now been re trained on the serving of hot beverages, especially when children are seated at a table. Staff are now also trained to ask guests with children how they would like their hot beverages serving to the table to reduce the risk of any accidents.
We also apologise for the administration error and taking monies from your bank account, this should not have happened although we did offer a refund and at the time it was declined.
We have not at any point tried to give the impression that we are not interested or you were over reacting. Like I have said in the above we have taken your issues raised very seriously.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

Just returned from 2 nights stay Friday 21st and Saturday22ndSeptember . Dinner was very good. Friendly staff, clean rooms and public areas. Good seafront location. Booked for a week next summer. Looking forward to going back.

Room Tip: Nice sea views.
1  Thank Rob W
lindumreply, Public Relations Manager at The Lindum Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2012

Hello There

Great to hear you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon

Reviewed September 17, 2012

After staying at the Lindum hotel located in Blackpool on the 15th September 2012:

1.) The hotel is listed as a 4* hotel which to be fair i would not agree i would say less.
2.) Parking was shocking only 9 spaces available which surrounding hotels had parking to the rear apart from this one.
3.) The Hotel is very dated and old.. Furnature etc needs updating badly.
4.) Lifts were not working
5.) Breakfast was poor and very small (Mixed grill the size of a side plate) although could have unlimited cereal.
6.) Had to leave the key with reception when we went out at night.
7.) Rooms very small; double bed was the size of a three quater one with no duvet just a sheet night time was very cold found it hard to sleep, Bathroom limited to fitting one person in only at one time.
8.) Hair dryer missing from room
9.) Had to walk through a bar to get to our room!
10.) No disrespect but like an old peoples home!

All in all we will not be staying at this hotel again and i reccomend you avoid this one!

Definately not a 4* hotel...

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review.
We have checked in detail on our website and the website of all our online booking agents including booking.com and laterooms and we cannot fine anywhere where we are listed as a 4 star. Booking.com does list us as a 3 star which is not correct and we are in the process of having corrected. We are a 2 star rated hotel.
There are actually 16 places where cars can park at the hotel and due to the fact we are half the size of the Dalmeney and surrounded by houses we cannot offer any parking at the rear of the building. Like most hotels we are constantly upgrading our rooms and our furniture in the lounges is something we are aware of and will be looking into soon. There were no problems with our lift during your stay. The room in which you were in did not have lift access.
I dont think there is need for exaggerations our breakfast plates are much bigger than a side plate, infact there is a side plate on the table when you side down in which you can compare !
Our full english breakfast comes with Bacon, Sausage, Tomato, Fried Bread, Beans and a choice of eggs. Aswell as this included in your breakfast is unlimited cereals, fruits, toast, yoghurts, juices and tea & coffee. Our breakfast has also won a quality award from Visit England's assessment board.
Our rooms are various sizes, we offer blankets and sheets instead of duvets as this suits our clientele and also our beds are a standard 4ft 6" this is the industry standard double bed size.
We are sorry about the hair dryer. After asking housekeeping I was informed the hair dryer was infact broken, however replaced when we were informed.
Some of our rooms are on the other side of the hotel and you have to walk through our "ground floor lounge areas" to access.
We are sorry if you found it like an old peoples home and again no disrespect but you came to stay in Lytham St Annes. An area that is primarily geared towards the elder generation. Our hotel caterers for the clientele that comes to the area.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

We stayed here for one night for a little get away.
As a previous reviewer said about the photos..I must agree I was expecting something a little bit more modern, this is not the case. On arrival the exterior doesn't look too bad its what is expected of a seaside hotel, but the interior needs major updating. And it doesnt have a good odour either
We checked in and given our key. Simple. Managed to find the room after walking through what looked like a retirement home. I requested top floor and sea view, I know there only requets and not guaranteed but our room was so small. The bathroom was probably 5ft by 3ft...!!!
The beds were horrendous and not even a double in size.
The view was the building next door which did have a little birds nest in the drain piping...!
All in all St Anne's Lytham is lovely but wouldn't stay at this hotel again. Also quite expensive.

Room Tip: I don't think they do 'a good room' plus dont put in any requests as there pointless and...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
lindumreply, Public Relations Manager at The Lindum Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2012

We appreciate your comments and opinions however, In a recent review conducted by Visit England all of our hotel public areas were graded to a high 3 star standard. This report can be viewed on our website.

Our lounge areas are the same as what is displayed on our website and all of our online booking partners websites, Lytham St Annes does attract an elder generation of clientele and that is what we are geared towards, however I would say that comparing our lounges to a retirement home is a little excessive.

All of our beds are 4ft 6" bed which is regarded as the standard size for a double bed.

Sorry if the birds nest disturbed your stay ?

We are sorry if you found £59.00 for 2 people Bed & Breakfast expensive !

Reviewed September 16, 2012

Just stayed this weekend, photos on internet are nothing like the real thing, my bathroom at home is bigger than the room we had, they have definatly tried to get as many rooms as possible, dont get me wrong it was clean and tidy but extremely small even the bed wasnt a true double as the headboard was wider than the bed. Food wasnt the best ive ever had either but was edible.
I personally wont stay there again as i feel like i was mislead by the photos on internet, it was like a rabbit warren all little corridors and creaky floorboards and the downstairs bar area just looked like a old folks home

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
lindumreply, Public Relations Manager at The Lindum Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2012

Hello There

Thank you for your review and we are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at the hotel.

Our rooms (which are all graded by Visit England) are that of a good two star hotel and this is clearly described on our website aswell as Laterooms and Bookings.com, two of our main online booking partners.
Our beds are all 4ft 6" which again is the recommended standard set for a hotel with our rating and is also regarded as a true standard double bed, although the headboard was bigger we assure you that this was the size.
We are surprised by your review of the food and we apologies it was not up to the standards you were expecting.
With regards to the photos on our website and our booking agents, these were actually taken a while ago and since then our lounge furniture has been upgraded, however we apologies if you felt mislead.

Reviewed September 8, 2012

I was a little concerned having read some of the reveiws of this hotel but I was pleasantly surprised. I had booked as part of a coach tour. The hotel was very welcoming The rooms clean and comfortable. The food was excellent. We also ate there at lunchtime and the menu was reasonably priced. The only problem I had with the food was the staff did not appear to understand the meaning of "small portions please" I hate wasting food. One negative aspect of the hotel is the "rickety " lift. It is very slow and only carries 3 people at a time which means you often have to queue for it. The entertainment wasthe same as any hotel in a holiday resort. The hotel is well located. Some reveiwers ave commented about the number of older people in the hotel. Although I was part of an older group, I did notice that the hotel catered for all ages. I also noted there was a games room in the hotel. St Annes is a quiet resort but does have activities for all ages. If you are looking for a lively holiday with plenty of night life this resort may not be for you. I would certainly stay here again

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends