“What a lovely place!”
Review of Jack's Restaurant & Bar - CLOSED

Jack's Restaurant & Bar
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed April 13, 2013

We enjoyed a superb lunch here, what a great menu to chose from, was actually spoilt for choice. Prices very reasonable too. Our host was lovely, looked after us well, nothing was too much trouble. You can tell that all the food is homemade with care and passion, the detail in the presentation is amazing and the food delicious. They have a super outside terrace too. We will be back very soon!

1  Thank karen t
JACKSBISTRO, Manager at Jack's Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Thank you so much for your kind words. We pride ourselves on the home made food in which we serve and always strive for the highest standards.
Our forecourt as it is is relatively new in terms of the large round table and the glass panels down the side.
We are sure as the weather gets warmer it will become more and more popular, so we hope to see you out there again soon,

Reviewed April 10, 2013

After reading your response to Nick S regarding the ham sandwich incident, I have taken it upon myself to clear a few things up. When we arrived at Jack's Bistro, the place was empty besides one other table. There was only one waitress serving, while a friend of hers sat at the bar and she was also taking care of a baby. Professional? I think not.

We decided to order the roast ham and piccalilli sandwich, the soup of the day, the tomato and red onion bruschette and a side of french fries, NOT fat chips & aioli as you stated in your response. After ordering the food, we overheard the waitress asking a man to go and buy some ham. A few minutes later and he was back, Tesco express bag in hand, he showed the ham to the waitress and even she looked shocked at what he had brought back. His response to her was 'it was all I could get'.

We seemed to be waiting for the food for a very long time, we weren't expecting this as the food we had ordered was relatively simple and uncomplicated to prepare. When the food finally arrived, we were faced with a wafer thin ham sandwich, on dry bread and without the piccalilli. It was not roast ham, it was cheap processed ham, the kind of ham I feed to my cat! After calling the waitress over to confront her about the problem, she just took the sandwich away without uttering a word. What we didn't understand is why she didn't apologize or tell us beforehand that there wasn't any roast ham in, at least then we could have chosen something else off the menu.

As a manager, you should take responsibility and apologize instead of going about things in such an unprofessional way. I'm sorry to hear that your father has died but I don't see how telling us this makes what happened that day excusable. If you were short on staff, the sensible thing to do would have been to close for the day. In your response to Nick S, you didn't even address the problem and apologize. You know for a fact that it wasn't roast ham and so did the waitress. Hopefully, you'll be able to learn from this experience so that it doesn't happen again in the future. I think your response was totally inappropriate and when you go to a restaurant, you expect to order something off the menu and if you haven't got it in, all you need to do is apologize and we could have picked an alternative. Your personal problems isn't of our concern, all we wanted was good food and good service and unfortunately you failed.

13  Thank DaisyS754
Reviewed April 2, 2013

This place is a disgrace pure & simple. Only ordered a snack - and within earshot could hear the waitress ask somebody to nip out and buy some ham, which he did from tesco express - the sort of ham you would feed to your dog ! saw the same waitress roll her eyes when she saw the rubbish he had bought, to which he replied 'it was all i could get' After an age the 'waitress' brought out the sandwich and claimed it was the roast ham on the menu, which makes her a liar, and told her to take it away- no apology - nothing ! It just goes to show that these places are run by cowboys and the produce they buy is the cheapest cr@p they can get there hands on, and they Deserve to go bust, the attitude stinks, and i think given time this place will shut. And when you read this 'Manager' you should be ashamed - pathetic.

9  Thank nick s
JACKSBISTRO, Owner at Jack's Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

Ah! Mr Nick S, Re:- Total CowboysThe day that will be remembered for "The Ham Sandwich".
I am so, so, so, very sorry! I will chastise myself eternally? Mmmmm, Maybe not....?
There were a few other memories that day. Hold on whilst I try to recall them because the incident regarding the ham sandwich fills my mind at the moment. Ah, yes it is coming back to me now. It was the Bank Holiday Monday when I was driving over to see my Father - in - law, to see how he was recovering from another operation for his cancer problems, when, I received a call saying my 2nd chef who was running the kitchen that day had fractured his knee & couldn't work. Whilst, the Head Chef was stuck in Manchester recovering from his Birthday celebration, coinciding with a junior chef de partie who was looking at wedding venues with his fiancé, because she could only make her way here this particular weekend.
Nevertheless, I turned my car around & proceeded back to my restaurant making sure we could cover the situation, & look after our guests as we have done for the last 15yrs, gaining its reputation for quality, whilst out lasting many other new ventures appearing in town.
Oh, yes the other memories, I was due to see my Dad who was in hospital being examined, after being taken in by ambulance during the night. My mum had called to tell me he was ok & she would let me know if she needed me sooner. It was then whilst making your "Ham" sandwich that I received notification that my dad had taken a turn for the worse & was being rushed to Lancaster hospital to remove a blood clot in his leg, his diabetes was a bit of a worry, because, this meant he may have had to lose part or all of his leg. But, I had to make your "Ham" sandwich. Whilst trying to sort out some staff to cover, maybe it would have been more prudent to shut the restaurant & refuse you entry, hind site is a wonderful thing. Nevertheless, I found cover from a reliable ex-chef & friend who could work closely with the other senior Chef De Partie who I asked to return after an hours break, working since 6am, kindly, he did & worked until the close, heading towards midnight.
After resolving these problems & of course making your "ham" sandwich, I rushed to be with my Mum & Dad whom, I swiftly followed up the M6 to Lancaster.
I don't want to bore you with detail at this point, but basically, my dad did not make it, he died that night.
My mother & I sat through the night whilst my dad was under the knife. We spent it in the canteen corridor with the choice of prawn sandwich, Blt or beef & horseradish from the vending machine, guess what, the quality was not an issue. It just gave us something to do whilst talking & trying to take our mind off the situation.
I don't know what I must have been thinking to even consider serving you such "total cr@p". I cannot possibly forgive myself for making such a bad judgement call.
Oh, by the way, how was the plum tomato, red onion & basil bruschette, lightly seasoned with sea salt served with a fresh rocket, red onion & Parmesan salad & homemade crisps? Not to mention the side order of hand cut fat chips with aioli & bowl of homemade soup that you finished, without comment & have also neglected to mention in this review?
If you wish to visit again, I will gladly accept your help in educating me, maybe you could show me how to boil a fresh ham? We could put some potato in the water to extract the salt, then take the rind off, slit the fat & roast it, whilst basting with mustard & honey. Is this how you do yours? I truly appreciate your constructive comments & do, so hope, we can be of service in the future & hope your experience with us has not deterred you from another culinary experience here at Jack's.
By all means feel free to contact me at jacksnw@hotmail.co.uk or call 01253780990, if you have any further input.
My Name is Keith Blackburn, I would be delighted to deal with you personally.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

I have been to Jacks Bistro many many times before and I have written about my experience on Tripadvisor, but I feel I must share my Good Friday evening experience this week end.
What an unexpected pleasure, I'm not really into Irish music which was the entertaiment for the night but it was a Good Friday get together with some lovely friends and a nice meal, What a shock I got!!! ( that wasn't just Keith's movements on the dance floor!!!) what a fantastic night, the food was Jacks usual good quality locally sourced food, a really fantastic night of entertainment.
If you are visiting Lytham St Annes and want a good meal with entertainment I can highly recomend you go to Jacks on Wood Street you will need to check there web site as entertaiment isn't on every week end, but it will be worth going just for the food, they serve a wonderful all day breakfast from about 7.30 in the summer.
There is lovely outside seating with patio heaters.

Thank you for your such kind words. Our Irish jig evenings are always one of the most popular evenings in which we hold and the one on Good Friday was definitely one of the best, including the dance moves on the floor!
We have alot more events this month including another Irish night on the 24th May so we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed March 26, 2013

Liz and I spend most of our time overseas. but when we come back (which is only ever for a few days) decide to have a meal out. Invariably, four times out if five, we end up at Jacks. always great food, excellent service and too much wine. All Keiths fault. I'm not sure but must have been visiting this excellent eating spot for at least 5 years and always look forward to the next visit.

Keith and your crew, keep up the great work

JACKSBISTRO, Manager at Jack's Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2013

Thank you for such kind words. It is always a pleasure to see you return time after time. I shall pass your comments on and we look forward to your next visit!