“Jack's is top's”
Review of Jack's Restaurant & Bar - CLOSED

Jack's Restaurant & Bar
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations
LYTHAM
“Jack's is top's”
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Another fab night at Jack's in st st Annes, 6 of us dined on Friday night when the British open was at it's peak, the food was 1st class, my husbands steak came perfect and just as he had requested as did the 2 others in our party, considering how busy it was inside and outside we didn't have to wait to long and service was with a smile. well done to all the staff you coped remarkably, we all enjoyed ouselves and we will definitely be back for more of Keith's wonderful food. keep up the good work you have a great team and great food.

• Visited July 2012
JACKSBISTRO, Owner at Jack's Restaurant & Bar, responded to this review, July 28, 2012
Thank you for your review and positive feedback about your visit to Jacks last week. The Open Golf tournament brought lots of new visitors to the area and many of them dined with us - a number of people returning night after night. We were very busy throughout the week and we were pleased to serve a few of the more well-known golfers as well as our regular local people. I'm pleased that your party enjoyed their visit and I look forward to seeing you again soon. My staff are pleased to read your positive comments about their standard of customer service.

Kind regards,
Jacks

“Worst customer service imaginable”
Reviewed July 21, 2012

Visited Jacks with 5 media colleagues working at the Open Championship. From arriving for our table which had been booked to finishing dessert took a total of 3 hours! One of our starters arrived an hour after the others and came along with the 6 main courses. Knives and forks were brought to the table and the waiter told us our food was 2 minutes away. Then came the news that the docket with our order written on it had been mislaid in the kitchen but had been found again and the food was coming. We had asked for bread at the start of the evening, we got 6 small pieces for 6 people. The night was wearing on, hunger was kicking in so we asked for more bread. At that point we were told the food was coming in 2 minutes quickly followed by a message from another waiter that there was a problem with one of the main courses and we would have to wait another 10 minutes. When the food eventually arrived 3 out of 5 steaks were not cooked as requested but having arrived at 9.30 and waited to 11.20 before we actually got them we ploughed on. We made our feelings known and the manageress appeared to hear our concerns. Having listened she went to consult with her staff and came back to say that their was a difference of opinion between our story and what the staff had said, particularly regarding an issue over a bottle of wine. We insisted that our version of events was correct, she insisted that the staff were right and it all became very unpleasant, especially when she brought a member of staff out to 'testify' in front of us, however it wasn't even the waitress who had served us. Very embarrassing for the young girl and totally unprofessional. Despite this humiliating gaffe the manageress made it clear that she was more inclined to believe her staff than us. Having offered us a round of drinks that never materialised for our trouble, we moved onto the issue of the bill. We asked for the 2 bottles of wine to be deducted and the starter that arrived late and to forget about the free round of drinks as by this point we had lost the will to live and it was pushing 1.00 in the morning. We felt this was fair as the waiter had already indicated that we wouldn't pay for the starter. I dont think anyone would expect to do that anyway in those circumstances. Basically what followed was something I have never ever seen. A period of haggling, the manageress offering 1 free bottle of wine, no charge for the 1 hour late starter and 2 free desserts. When it became clear that no agreement was going be reached we told her that the service had been appalling, her response far from satisfactory, but to give us the bill as we couldn't be bothered debating anymore. The bill arrived only for us to be over charged for 4 glasses of wine that we hadnt ordered. Another problem that needed sorted. At this point the owner appears and in a very aggressive manner told us that we had 5 minutes to pay or he was phoning the police. Given that the bill was incorrect and that we were about to give him £200 for the worst nights service that we had ever encountered I think his attitude was appalling and it's unfortunate that he hadn't been so keen to deal with the many issues outlined above earlier in the evening. We encouraged him to phone the police who thankfully arrived to allow us to pay the bill and leave. The manageress told us that 99% of customers have a wonderful experience at Jacks and we were the unlucky ones. That might be the case, but you need to learn how to deal with the situation in a more professional way when things do go wrong. The 6 of us who attended were all journalists covering the golf who have travelled the world for years covering major sporting events. All 6 agreed that we had never ever encountered a lower level of customer service and that we would never return to Jacks. The only positive was a young male waiter working on the night in question, Saturday 21st July.

11 Thank Taggarti
JACKSBISTRO, Owner at Jack's Restaurant & Bar, responded to this review, July 22, 2012
Well done guys! Being journalists you are clearly very articulate and have been able to present a very plausible account of your experience at Jacks last night. However, as we all know, there is always more than one perspective of events and yours is very one-dimensional and biased.

As you, and other people can see from the many reviews of Jacks on Trip Advisor, we pride ourselves in high standards of customer service and we go the extra mile to make the experience of our customers not only a good one, but a great one. This, and the quality and variety of our menu and wine choices are the main reasons why we have many customers returning to us week after week, year after year. This is not through luck, it is through commitment, passion and genuine care in what we do.

If we do not achieve our exceptionally high standards for any of our customers - new, old, occasional or regular visitors - we are genuinely disappointed both for us and for them and we always aim to reolve issues amicably and to everyone's satisfaction. Unfortunately, this was never going to be possible in your case. The facts of the matter are that a starter did not arrive at the same time as everyone elses. We did not charge for this. You said your steaks were not cooked as you had requested them. However, everyone ate them and nobody passed
comment to my staff to give us the opportunity to provide an alternative or to cook fresh ones. You said it took an excessive amount of time for your food to arrive. We always record the times that food orders are placed. My records do not match the times that you have stated in your review. However, we offered to knock the price of one of your bottles of wine off the bill in acknowledgement of your comments and concerns. We also said that we would not charge for the two desserts that you had. My discussions with you about these things (and other things that you kept adding on every time I left and returned to your table) went on over a good 30-40 minutes and from my perspective, were becoming increasingly difficult and challenging. You had set your stall out by telling me that you wanted two bottles of wine discounting from your bill (one of them priced at £47.50) and that anything other than this would not be acceptable. As the proprietor it is up to me to make a judgement call and on this occasion i did not feel that this was a reasonable or proportionate expectation and I was therefore unwilling to meet your 'demands'.

You say that you have never ever encountered a lower level of customer service and that we
would never return to Jacks. I have never encountered the level of arrogance and unreasonableness that I experienced from your table last night. I was quite upset by the whole situation - as were my staff team (including the one who you say that I put in a humiliating
position) - as we are not used to dealing with this kind of behaviour. The reason the police were called is because you were not willing to pay the bill and not because you encouraged us to do so. Our customers certainly do not have the need to call the police to our restaurant. Another issue worthy of note is that other people who were in the vicinity of your table whilst our conversations taking place were also quite shocked by the manner in which your table interacted with me.

I am sorry that you did not have a good experience last night, but i think it could have been resolved in a much more positive way if you had been more reasonable in your expectations and less aggressive in your manner towards me. You dined at Jacks whilst the Open Golf 2012 tournament was taking place in St Annes. Throughout the week we have had people from all over the world, including many of the golfers themselves dining with us. Many have come back night after night because they have enjoyed it so much. If our customer service was as bad as you describe, surely they would have gone elsewhere - there are plenty of other restaurants in the area that they could have visited.

I hope that people reading this review and my response will draw their own conclusions on the content based on the many other positive reviews that our customers have left.
Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
“Jack's Restaurant in Lytham St Annes”
Reviewed July 18, 2012

I love Jack's restaurant and we now go nearly every week it is so good. I have yet to have a bad meal here and the service is alway friendly and just attentive enough. The live music provides a lovely backdrop on a Sunday evening and as it is outside at the front of Jack's it doesn't seem too intrusive.

There is an early doors deal for £11-16.00 for two courses, which is such good value it makes the quality of the food an even greater surpise. I have tried savoury bread and butter pudding made with Lancashire cheese, a beautiful creamy hake rissotto, fish cakes with lime and chilli and morrocan lamb stew with sultana rice. They were all exciting but reliably good at the same time. This has become a favourite restaurant and I can't recommend it enough.

Stockport
“Excellent restaurant.. They couldn't have done any more for you. Food excellent”
Reviewed July 14, 2012 via mobile

We booked into jacks as we have passed it many times but have never been in..
It was a very nice relaxed atmosphere & when the wine arrived it wasn't to my taste so they changed the bottle for me without any problem .
The food was excellent and there was plenty to choose from and all very reasonably priced..
The service was also fantastic and the staff could not have done anymore for you.
We will definately be going back soon.!!

JACKSBISTRO, Owner at Jack's Restaurant & Bar, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Thank you for your kind review. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your evening with us at Jacks and we hope to see you again in the future.

Kind regards,

Keith and Jeanette
Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
“Perfection as always”
Reviewed July 11, 2012

We have had the pleasure of visiting this restaurant a few times over the past couple of months and every visit has been superb. The service and the food has been excellent and the staff are very good, we will be returning again very soon keep up the good work.

• Visited July 2012
Thank you for your review following your visit to Jacks. We aim to please and it is great when customers take the time to share their experiences with others.

We hope to see you again in the future.

Kind rregards,