The Mysore
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed March 31, 2012

The service was slow and the food was average. Not the BEST indian restaurant in newport pagnell by far.

1  Thank DSK60MC

Reviewed March 19, 2012

Two weeks ago I came to this restaurant with some work colleagues. I had been before many times and was always happy with the food and service, but was disappointed on this occasion.

When the waiter came to take our drink order I asked for a vodka and coke. After disappearing for several minutes he returned to tell me that they had run out of vodka!

One of my colleagues and I both ordered a peshwari naan bread (one each) and when our food order was (eventually) brought out, my naan was placed by me but his never arrived. When asked where the extra naan was, the waiter proceeded to pick mine up and give it to him! We argued at that point that we'd ordered two, and the second was eventually brought out, but I think it had been left off of the original order and had to be cooked separately. So he had nearly finished his meal before he got his bread.

My partner visited this restaurant last week (he is also a long time patron of the Mysore; it was he that introduced me to the place) and on this occasion they had run out of cider, and also made him wait 5-10 minutes longer than everyone else on the table for his starter.

We have been together tonight, and after that experience we are certainly not going again! We were made to wait a good 20 minutes for poppadums, my prawns in the main course were overcooked to the point where they were tough and stringy and our plates weren't taken away until around half an hour after we'd finished eating.

My partner asked for the bill, and tried to pay by card. He was told by the waiter that their card machine had 'suddenly' broken and asked for us to pay by cash. My partner told him that he didn't have enough cash to pay with, so we were then directed to the nearest cash machine! So we left in that direction (and we were sorely tempted just to walk away, but we are honest people and so we went to get money) but then no sooner had we left then another waiter was chasing after us saying we hadn't paid our bill! We explained what he had been told and were given some half hearted story about them having two card machines and the working one having been taken by the delivery driver. "But he has just come back, now," we were told. Yeah right.

But we followed him back in and paid for the meal by card. We suspect that the original waiter was lying to get us to pay by cash so he could pocket some of it, but of course that is just speculation.

The member of staff that chased us did apologise, however by accusing us of walking out we have been made to feel like we were in the wrong and like petty criminals, and my partner made sure to tell him exactly what he thought!

One last thing to note, they seem to have recently decorated the interior, but have left the masking tape behind, which is peeling off and looks tacky.

1  Thank Heather R
Reviewed March 13, 2012

We went to the Mysore on saturday night at 20.30pm, we were told to wait 5 mins for a table, after that we got one but then it went down hill, we waited hour and half and still no food we with three other tables all walked out. I was told normally this is a good Indian, they just had two staff doing sort of something, there chef must have walked out cos it didn`t make sense waiting that long

2  Thank Aggisgreen
Reviewed February 21, 2012

I can absolutely sympathise with previous reviews which have complained about service. My usual Indian eatery in Newport Pagnell is Moza, which I frequent with my fiancee almost weekly. On this particular occasion, we decided to try something new and so wandered down the street and came across Mysore.

Upon entering, we were greeted by the seemingly famous grumbling waiter, who sighed heavily upon our approach, angrily thrust menus into our hands, and dismissively waved his arms to a free table. Of course, this should've been the point at which we turned around and left - but having heard good things about the food, we decided to stick it out.

Service improved marginally - in the sense that food was ordered and then brought to the table an indeterminable period of time later, and when it did arrive it was exceptionally nice and, unlike others have experienced, HOT.

However, one item of our side dishes did not arrive despite me ordering it clearly. The waiter claimed that I had not ordered it and offered to get it for us; since we were nearly at the end of the meal by the time he stopped by to address the problem, we said that we didn't mind and not to bring the missing item.

When the bill came, the missing item - times TWO - appeared on the breakdown and upon querying this, the waiter THEN claimed that we had in fact ordered two and they were both brought to the table; when in reality they were not; he disclaimed all knowledge of the previous conversation.

I accused him of attempted fraud and he stomped off in high dudgeons. A few moments later an older gentleman appeared, apologised profusely, removed the offending items from the menu and took our payment.

I left a one penny tip to express my dissatisfaction at the disgraceful and dishonest service and we left, vowing to never return.

Be on your guard, folks.

2  Thank DPF_1984
Reviewed February 20, 2012

Used this indian for over 17 years but not any more.
The food which used to be excellent became very inconsistent and the service started to suffer too. I was a once a week customer, either take out or sit down, and became tired of having to complain. So often, the chapatis or rice would be only luke warm as if they had been left on the pass. The last time it happened I was told that as we were so regular they knew what we would order and had cooked it prior to us arriving!

Worse was the two occasions that I had tandoori chicken which was still bloody near the bone. When I complained I was told that it was the fault of the butcher who prepared the meat.

I was hoping that my non appearance after a while would promote a call/visit from the owner so that we could discuss the shortcomings of a once excellent restaurant and I could then continue to use the place I had recommended to dozens of people. Sadly the call never came. On a positive note, the chicken hari murchi buhna is to die for.

1  Thank Jewelleryjohn