“Dirty, No Heating or Hotwater (Happend 3rd time)” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Harben House Hotel

Harben House Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Newport Pagnell
oxford
“Dirty, No Heating or Hotwater (Happend 3rd time)”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

Very Very Very bad hotel, avoid this. Hot water and heating not working at the moment. Frustrated and i am very very cold and it is snowing outside. Staff not helpful they haven't got a clue what is wrong.

Stupid Stupid hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank kanteti
Asim D, Manager at Harben House Hotel, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Thank you for your recent feedback regarding your stay here at Harben House. It upsets me greatly that the attitude and behavior displayed by a small minority of the team here are not up to the standards that I and De Vere Venues as a company expects from them. I have instructed the Management team across the property to carry our behaviors training as a matter of urgency and will personally follow it up with them to ensure it is completed. Sorry to hear about your bad experience with us We did had a issue with the heating and boiler and we offered alternative to our guests on the day.

Kind Regards

Deputy General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Seaham, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

The room that I stayed in this week was absolutely disgusting. There was dirt around the edges of the carpet which looked like it had not been cleaned for months, some sort of blood stains on the carpets and the staff at this hotel seem to feel like that it's such a hardship doing anything that is asked. Foul.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Matthew W
Asim D, Manager at Harben House Hotel, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you for your recent feedback regarding your stay here at Harben House. It upsets me greatly that the attitude and behavior displayed by a small minority of the team here are not up to the standards that I and De Vere Venues as a company expects from them. I have instructed the Management team across the property to carry our behaviors training as a matter of urgency and will personally follow it up with them to ensure it is completed. Regarding the bedrooms at Harben House, whilst the majority of our rooms have been upgraded you are correct that there are some remaining that need attention. Whilst the timescale for this is finalized I have put into place a maintenance schedule and checklist in order to tackle some of the issues you experienced. I take your points regarding cleanliness very seriously and these have been addressed with the Housekeeping Manager who will training and auditing her team as a matter of urgency.I look forward to welcoming you back to show you what enhancements have been made.

Many Thanks

Travelers are raving about these Newport Pagnell hotels

Leicester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

I only ever stayed here because it was £19 a night & has a gym.

But, the rooms are dirty. The bathrooms are disgusting (I would NEVER have a bath there, just put up with the shower).

The heating never seemed to work - I stayed 3 times and slept in my (rab puffa) coat each time & each time they told me there was a "temporary" heating problem.

And the final straw was when I arrived at 10 at night, on a horrendous cold windy winter evening after a really long day at work, to be told they had overbooked and there wasn't any room (I had paid in advance & booked 2 weeks previously). They hadn't even bothered to call.

I know some other people who used to stay here (and don't any more) and they say they often saw people being turned away due to overbooking late at night.

When I complained later, they offered me a free stay ... I would sleep on the street before I would stay at a deVere again.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Babybel6798
Asim D, Manager at Harben House Hotel, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you for your detailed review of your most recent stay with us at Harben House. At De Vere we pride ourselves on constantly improving our service, so I am grateful you have taken the time to inform me about your unsatisfactory experience with us. I have shared your comments with our Reception Manager, who has in turn shared them and carried out necessary training with the entire Reception team so that such an oversight cannot happen again. I take your points regarding cleanliness very seriously and these have been addressed with the Housekeeping Manager who will training and auditing her team as a matter of urgency. Heating isuues is resloved now and working fully. We are currently looking at what maintenance and improvements can be made to our bedrooms so thank you for such valuable feedback. I can only apologise for the inconvenience these matters may have caused during your stay, and I will take your points on board and always work to improve the information or quality of product my guests receive. I look forward to welcoming you back to show you what enhancements have been made.

Kind regards

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

I'm not going to come down hard on this too much given that I booked very very cheaply at the last minute.

But oh dear, a hotel long forgotten by its owners ...

Hotel is split into blocks or wings. One wing has dodgy erratic heating or in my case none. They know this, but still out put me there maybe seeing I'd paid less at the last moment. My allocated room was in dire need of refurbishment.

Place was dead...

In the other wing I was moved to, much much better - on a par with Travelodge chain ...I guess upgraded but not by much...

Only 2 plug sockets one of which has the tv. WiFi is stronger in the second block I moved to. And to their credit when it works, free.

Don't get exited at the steamroom, sauna or Jacuzzi... it's out of the 70's.

Tiles falling off, mould, rust, broken and no bench in sauna bust and removed gaping gap where seating should be. It's been long forgotten by the owners...a real germ collection in cracks around the watery leisure complex. Surprised it's not been condemned. Broken lockers, notice on ladies changing room asking you to change in the bar toilets said it all. I did have the steam room myself figuring any germs would die.

Had I paid anything near rack rate - you'd see a lot more low scores. Value is deemed good only because I got a last minute big price discount.

Only thing worth praise was the duty manager and clean warm (second) tiny single room. I needed only to be near a sports centre & hence the stay.

Stay in nearby Milton Keynes or enroute if you can....not here.

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank OpenmindedAngel
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2012

I stayed here recently owing to work commitments in the area.
Free parking, on site gym facilities and a bar/restaurant.
The room was only £35 for the night and on arrival i was given a complimentary drinks voucher to go with my dinner.
I had room service which was very quickly delivered and food adequate as room service goes.
The room it self was more of a studio design but with an open bathroom which I thought strange. The shower was powerful and clean. The bed, more so a sofa bed was also clean and relatively comfortable.
The room although initially cold when i got there soon warmed up with the under table manual heater. This is fine but it does give off a glow during the night.
Check out was smooth and easy at 6.30am. And as they forgot to credit the drink with my meal they deducted that on check out.
Very comfortable stay and I look forward to staying again.

• Stayed December 2012
Asim D, Manager at Harben House Hotel, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Thank you for such a positive review of your experience at De Vere Harben. I am glad you enjoyed our facilities and managed to catch one of our great deals! Thank you for informing me about bed room was cold when you went to the room. We have changed the timings on our heating system to ensure rooms are warm before guests checked in to the room. I look forward to welcoming you back on your next stay.

Many Thanks

Uffculme, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2012

This was an overnight stay then a days training, with colleagues, in one of the conference rooms. Check in was good and access to my room fairly simple. The room was very small and reminded me of student digs. Although clean there were not enough plug points for my laptop and and phone charger as well as the kettle.
The following days training did not start well when access to the room proved to be a problem. The room used was large enough for all of us (over twenty) and was warm and comfortable. However, it was a trek to get everywhere and the different levels and corridors caused confusion. Our susbistence was very good though which made up for the average quality elsewhere. Evening meal, breakfast and lunch was all of a high standard and bar service was excellent.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012

This is a modern hotel with no character but it's location is very convenient for Milton Keynes and the surrounding area, and only 5 mins from the motorway.
I had a problem with the first room I was given as it was already occupied and I woke the current incumbent.
The 2nd room's curtains did not close properly, letting a lot of light into the room.
The 3rd room was an upgrade for the inconvenience and was a good size room with plenty of space.
I haven't downgraded my rating below 4 as the staff were very helpful and dealt with my problem each time. I only paid £39 for a room only basis so overall was decent value.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Jurys Inn Milton Keynes
Jurys Inn Milton Keynes
#3 of 34 in Milton Keynes
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,099 reviews

Been to Harben House Hotel? Share your experiences!