“Good restaurant & B & B too.”
Review of Bakers Yard Wine Bar - CLOSED

Bakers Yard Wine Bar
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Breakfast, lunch and dinner served daily offering relaxed friendly atmosphere,attentive and friendly staff.Serving freshly prepared home made starters, main courses and desserts. Daily specials menu offers a set price menu which offers two courses for £12.95 And three courses for £14.95 (Tuesday to Friday) Monday evening offers our popular two courses for £10 menu served from 6 pm - 8.30Pm. A la carte menu and sandwich menu also available daily. Sunday lunch is served from 12-3pm and offers a mouth watering selection of freshly roast meats plus a fish and vegetarian option, two course for £12.95 And three course for £14.95. We use local ingredients and suppliers and all our dishes are home made on the premises and freshly prepared to order. We also serve wines, spirits, lagers and real ales alongside freshly made coffee /tea and cakes all day from 8am. Our Tapas Bar offers a selection of premium wines, beers and spirits and serves freshly prepared hot and cold Tapas from Tuesday to Sunday, offering all day dining Friday and Saturday from 12 noon until late. Our outdoor courtyard is very busy in the good weather and offer a lovely al fresco dining option for both the Wine Bar and the Tapas Bar.
Bordeaux, France
“Good restaurant & B & B too.”
Reviewed June 30, 2012 via mobile

Have visited this modern bistro style restaurant a number of times and have never been disappointed. On our last visit to Oakham in June we chose to stay at the Bakers Yard for 2 nights. After enjoying excellent food and wine we had a good night's sleep in the very comfortable bed. Everywhere was squeaky clean and the ensuite had an excellent shower. A good breakfast menu was offered and all the staff were attentive and friendly. Will certainly be going again.

Oakham, United Kingdom
“Great Expectations”
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Reading the other reviews I feel my experience of the Bakers Yard is at odds with everyone else. I live in Oakham and have on previous occaisions had very pleasant visits to the bar, at lunch with family and also for coffee. (which is about the best you'll get in Oakham!)
So, I chose to dine there with my partner on a Friday evening and wish I'd not bothered.
The staff were all very friendly and reasonably attentive, I think there were about four other tables seated throughout our time there, so they werent exactly run off their feet.

Mediocre is about the best i can come up with to describe the first and main courses. The menu looked impressive, but the chef was obviously bored with it. The prices promised something spectacular, but the delivery fell far short of anything other than standard. For the money, I should have been blown away but instead just felt rather disappointed.

The superb creme brulee and the astonishingly good bottle of NZ Sauvignon Blanc were the only redeeming features of the meal, but I still left feeling like I'd been conned. When I left I looked in the kitchen, supposing I'd either see the chef rubbing his hands together over my bill or just asleep on top of it.

I can't say that I wouldn't ever visit again on an evening, but I certainly would think twice about it. There are plenty of good restaurants locally, so why they would just seem so indifferent in the kitchen I don't understand, maybe the chef just couldn't be bothered that night...

• Visited June 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Fabulous Sunday Menu”
Reviewed June 6, 2012

We were looking for somewhere to eat and were only actually after a snack but sat down with the three course fixed price - what a treat and an absolute bargain. Lovely food, wonderful staff and great atmosphere. Loved it so much that we have decided to stay for two nights when we go up for a wedding in December.

• Visited May 2012
London
“Great food and accommodation”
Reviewed April 25, 2012

We enjoyed an overnight stay in a lovely clean, well-appointed and comfortable en-suite room. All our meals - lunch, breakfast and Sunday lunch - were delicious and excellent value. The food menu offered a wide range of choice and a good wine list. Staff were friendly and attentive. Would definitely recommend Baker's Yard.

Visited April 2012
oakham
“Just Lovely.”
Reviewed April 20, 2012

What can I say. Attentive staff, lovely food, nice wine, fabulous value.