“Afternoon tea experience”

Brook Whipper-In Hotel
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Oakham
Reviewed November 19, 2013

Although local for over 30 yrs this was the first time ever into the Whipper Inn, based purely on their ability to fit us in on short notice for afternoon tea. The property has a great position,in the square that hosts the market and the old covered market stand,I would say that every visitor who comes to Oakham plus the majority of locals will,at some point stand outside the front door of the Whipper Inn. Will they come in? They might do,based on a view of the George restaurant area,which is a gleaming,modern update in an obviously older building,we however parked in the detached car park just around the side.....and what an awful first impression,deep potholes,absolutely no illumination which we discovered on our return in the dark later and the worst thing no idea how to get in the hotel..if there were signs we didn't see them ,we did walk onto the main road,walk about twenty yards and found the rear entrance to the property. I accept its winter,late afternoon but nothing from the rear entrance would have enticed me in had I not been booked in.
So,arriving in reception,at last!...lights,warmth,a Christmas feel,humans!....this is what I would get coming off the market place....we sat in bar area, sofas,tv,muted with subtitles,some other folk having afternoon tea too.As the afternoon lengthened and staff lit the fire,turned on small lights there was a feeling of olde world charm but I would echo other comments about spending money in that area as the cracking George restaurant is there,only feet way,teasing you,with its funky newness !
And the afternoon tea?......tasty sandwiches,lovely scones,great wedges of cake,plenty of tea...all component parts meeting expectations,12.95pp.....about what I'd expect to pay.
Staff were pleasant,unobtrusive,efficient.
Then the return,to the dark unloved uneven car park...just enough to take the sparkle off any pleasant experience.
Brooks hotels are missing a trick here....there is a very large public car park just past the whipper inn car park...virtually every person coming from there passes the whipper inn car park entrance and then the uninspiring,unlit,poorly signed rear entrance to the property.....get it lit,get signboards up,get some festive decoration out and get people coming through your property.
I cannot comment on the rooms or toilet facilities ...

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Brook Whipper-In Hotel

Reviewed November 19, 2013

We have just visited this hotel for afternoon tea using a voucher from the Activity Superstore. The voucher cost £34 for two people whereas the hotel was offering the tea for £12.95 each. The tea was certainly not worth £12.95 and the actual voucher cost was excessive to say the least. Our main quibble is therefore with the Activity Superstore which I could not recommend to anyone.
We had a similar voucher from the store which we used at The Rothay Manor Hotel in Ambleside in October & the teas were poles apart in quality, the Lake District hotel being far superior. Even so the cost of the tea at the Rothay Manor was £10 less than the voucher cost.
To return to the tea at the Whipper Inn. The sandwiches were cold - presumably having just been taken out of the refrigerator - but were nevertheless acceptable. The scones were warm with plenty of jam & cream. One large piece each of a rather heavy sponge cake - no choice - and a good pot of tea completed the meal.
Would we return? Definitely not.

Room Tip: Did not stay at the hotel
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BushbyBrian
Reviewed November 5, 2013

For a short first visit of just a few hours to Oakham, I chose the Whipper-In for lunch, partly for its central location and partly because it is in a dining card association that I belong to - better not state the name I suppose but it starts with GS. I only mention it now because it is highly relevant to the whole experience.

I cannot comment on the hotel aspects since we did not stay, but reading through earlier comments I would agree that the public spaces do need some refreshing. More importantly, though, the venue was ideal for our purpose, which was to meet relatives staying at the nearby Barnsdale Country Club timeshare. Staff were welcoming and thoughtful, and the food was really good - especially the steak and ale pie: terrific flavour, if a little pricy at £12.95 - but I would say that reflected the quality of the ingredients.

Other less expensive but equally good dishes included Club sandwiches and a top-class fish and chips (Boy, those chips!! I'm not a great one for chips, but these were wonderful - I guess twice-cooked, though the menu did not say). I even thought of having an extra bowlful instead of a dessert...

All of this would have been quite enough to persuade me to go again, but the key note was the understanding shown by the manager when I discovered I had left my GS card at home. Many people faced with that situation would simply say, 'Sorry, without your card we can do nothing', and would have charged full price - quite reasonably.

Instead the manager allowed the reduction on the simple agreement that I would email him my membership details, failing which the full amount would be charged. I appreciated that thoughtfulness just as much as my party all appreciated the lunch, and that was a lot. So through the combination of good cooking and good service, five stars from me, and if we have the chance to visit Oakham again - which looks delightful - we will happily return to the Whipper-In.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Anthony G, General Manager at Brook Whipper-In Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2013

It was lovely to meet you and it was a pleasure to be able to assist in the little matter of the forgotten card.
I look forwarded to welcoming you and your family to the hotel on your return to Oakham.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

I had an over night stay in the Whipper-in in Oakham last week and was pleasantly surprised. On arrival the lady on reception was very efficient without being starchy and made me welcome. The room was spotlessly clean. In the bathroom there was a shower attachment to the bath taps but nowhere to fix it and no shower curtain, but that was the only thing about the room. The bed was very comfortable and I had a great night's sleep.
I had dinner in the restaurant where I found the staff very helpful. The menu was not extensive but had a good range of different food. I always find this encouraging because it means that the food will be more likely to be cooked fresh and not pinged in the microwave. There was something on the starter menu that I fancied and aske if that could be made into a main cause to be told that chef would be happy to do. I am glad because it was very good indeed. I also had a sweet. A chocolate parfait to die for!!!!
Breakfast was very good too. the bacon was thickly cut and the scrambled eggs were perfect. Another good thing was that check out was not until 11.00 am which meant that I didn't have to rush.
On the slightly down side, the car park is detached from the hotel and is not well signed. I was on my own so I had to get out of my car to look for it. Also the public areas were a bit tired and could do with a re-decoration.
The overall feel of this quiet town centre hotel for me was good, no loud music to grate the atmosphere. Very restful and relaxed.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank David S

Thank you for your kind review.
I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and dining experience at the hotel and hope to see you return in the near future.
You should return and try some of the new dishes that will be going onto the menu shortly.
You are correct in your assumption that we make our food fresh at The Whipper-in Hotel rather than going down the "ready made" route, as we feel that this adds to the dining experience.

Reviewed October 25, 2013

A classic old coaching that is a little tired in decor - Lots that could be complained about, like worn carpets, curtains, wall paper and creaky floorboards, however the whole feel of the place is comfortable and re-assuring, and what you would expect from an old Inn in the Market Place - Would I stay there again? - Yes.
My one main gripe is the WiFi rip off. The hotel provides free WiFi in the public rooms (not in guest rooms!!!), however it is so slow that it is unusable. I suspect that it is trying to push you towards the paid option (not cheap) that they provide - why do hotels still believe that charging extortionate rates for WiFi is acceptable? - it is just an extension of the phone charges that uses to be staple of hotel incomes.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Just visited this hotel for afternoon tea with my husband. We had a very pleasant afternoon with a more than adequate meal consisting of a very good selections of sandwiches, plus scones and cakes made in the hotel. The waiting staff were very pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Anthony G, General Manager at Brook Whipper-In Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a positive response about the hotel.
Your kind words are appreciated and will be passed on to the relevant staff members.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

We spent the weekend here, initial reaction was not good due to the receptionist, who was not particularly welcoming or helpful. Other staff were exceptional and helpful. They seemed to be running the hotel on a shoestring as the staff on duty were having to perform numerous functions at the same time.
This is an old building and that must be bourne in mind, however, the initial impression was that it could do with some money being spent on the decoration. But it was clean and tidy and the food was excellent although the kitchen did run out of steak and the bar out of a particular red wine.
We stayed in Maynell which had an uneven floor which is to be expected in a building of this age. The net curtains had holes in them. The bed was comfortable and lighting throughout the hotel was dull.
There was a car park at the back of the hotel accessed from a side street but space was limited due I think to a wedding reception that was to take place.
The bathroom whilst not huge was adequate, sadly the bath only had a hand held shower and the water pressure was virtually non existant.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Adrian F

I apologize that you felt that you were not welcomed on your arrival to the hotel, but am gratified to read that the rest of your stay was enjoyable and the food to your liking.
You are correct in pointing out that The Whipper-in is an old building and thus will have various quirks, like uneven floors, that go with it.
Many of the pieces of furniture are bespoke items and reflect the age and style of the building.
Your comment about the net curtain has been taken under advisement and I have instructed Housekeeping to replace it.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Oakham
The Old Wisteria Hotel
Best Western Normanton Park Hotel
Hambleton Hall
Hambleton Hall
#1 of 1 in Hambleton

Been to Brook Whipper-In Hotel? Share your experiences!