Brook Whipper-In Hotel
Hambleton Hall(Hambleton)
The Falcon Hotel(Uppingham)
The Lake Isle(Uppingham)
View Hotel
All reviewsmarket squareold buildinglovely old hotelrutland watercurryfriendly hotellots of characterfriendly receptionistcreaking floorboardsthree coursesfour posterpublic areastwo night stayboth nightslarge roomwarm welcomeboth mornings
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 28, 2012

There was 27 of us in 14 rooms and the staff coped very well. The food was hot and tasted good. The staff are fantastic and can't do enough for you. The hotel is very old and yes, could do with a bit of money spent on it but overall the main thing is 'for the price' it was excellent. We all had a fabulous weekend and are booking for next year. We did go out for lunch as you don't want to be in the same place all the time and wanted to see some of the lovely town. The parking is round the back but it is pretty obvious where the hotel is. If people want porters then they should stay at more expensive hotels but I bet they won't be so friendly.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
whipperhotel, Manager at Brook Whipper-In Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2012

Dear Reviewer,

I’m so pleased you had such an excellent stay with us. I know my reception team will be delighted to hear your kind comments as will the rest of the team.

I look forward to welcoming you when you return

Rohit Singh and Team

Reviewed March 26, 2012

I booked a Friday and Saturday for my birthday week end and because I had some business in the area. Booking was easy and the receptionist who took the booking I met on Saturday was very helpful and friendly.
When we arrived on Friday we found we had to park up the road in the hotel car park. First error there are no signs to direct you to it and its pitch black. Luckily a local lad who lives at the back of the car park directed us. My partner had arranged for wine to be put into our room, I booked us in lumped the bags from the car to the room and found there was no wine. Whilst I was taking our dog for a walk (they take dogs) she found out that although the receptionist (a helpful Russian lady) had arranged it the manager had forgotten and gave her some excuse, not impressed.
We then went to eat, the restaurant is uninspired and was like a morgue. I went and asked if they had back ground music and was told by the manager it was on and there were eight people dining, he then turned the low key music on.... They really need to put some style to the dining room or a bit of colour as it looks like a village hall. The waitress was very nice and over the week end seemed to be everywhere and was always pleasant and smiling. The food was OK but the menu is again uninspired and dull nothing comes with veg and both I and the table near us noticed. They need to take a good hard look as to why the restaurant was almost empty on both nights. The manager brought us a glass of champagne as it was my birthday which was nice and made up a bit for the lack of wine.
We went back to our room and found the big double bed was two singles zipped together and the zip was obvious. Both beds sunk in the middle. The room was clean and well laid out. The toilet wasn’t it needed bleaching at least. The shower was good but the floor needs sorting as when it gets wet the old floor plan is visible through the covering, also one of the towels was dirty. There is lot of noise from the upstairs rooms (we had the Keswick room) this was because of the ceiling not the guests, when they flush the loo or have a bath it sounds like it’s going to come through the roof. But it is an old building and I doubt there is anything they can do about it.
Breakfast was average. I cancelled the evening meal as we found a fantastic Italian in Church Street which I can highly recommend.
Overall the hotel was OK, the manager could do with trying to improve the details, if I order wine for my room I want it in the room I don’t expect to have to ask, get the loo cleaned and sort out the dining room. They also need to get some info. into the rooms there as nothing about local attractions or even when breakfast was. The best asset are the waiting staff and receptionists.
I would stay again but wouldn’t eat there unless they improve the menu and the dining room.

Room Tip: Some rooms are in the courtyard these are easy to access but you can ehar every one who decideds to sit outside. Some of the doors can be narrow and stiff.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Tod B,
Thank you for taking your time to write such a comprehensive review.
I have taken a great deal from your comments and it has been really beneficial to go through this with my team and has prompted us to review some of our areas that we can improve on to further enhance our guest experience. We have in particular focused on improving our room décor and bathrooms. I would also like to inform you that, the restaurant has been refurbished and our menu has been reviewed and all our main dishes are accompanied with some kind of vegetables on the plates.

Rohit and Team.

Reviewed March 12, 2012

We stayed here for a couple of nights as part of a reunion group. (Apologies to anyone who found us a bit noisy and raucous!). Booked on a dinner bed and breakfast basis - most people has chosen their main meal beforehand but a few couldn't so there was a little bit of delay in serving, but couldn't be helped. Breakfast was easier as people came in when they were ready. Food good overall.

Our room was ok - bathroom could have done with a revamp though. We had no shower curtain so it was difficult not to get water on the floor when trying to use it. Also, this is a very old building so the floors are creaky and we could hear every movement from the next room. Not sure what could be done about that but it didn't ruin our stay.

The hotel needs some money spending on it but the staff were all extremely pleasant and helpful and Jodie on Reception is very good at her job!

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking courtyard probably quieter.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
whipperhotel, Manager at Brook Whipper-In Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2012

Dear blynda9
Thanks for taking the time to post,
I’m thrilled that as a leisure traveller you were so pleased with your recent stay with us.
I know that the team will be delighted with your kind comments in particular about breakfast, dinner and service. I was sorry to learn that you were disappointed with your bathroom. I can advise that the next phase of our refurbishment will be our bathrooms in few rooms which will be undertaken in the near future.

Rohit and Team

Reviewed February 27, 2012

ordered 2 coffees (£2.75 each) - lovely cafetiere arrived and what looked like homemade biscuits - lovely we thought........poured the coffee and to our dismay it looked like water. another pot was eventually provided which was much stronger, biscuit was lovely. informed the soup was mushroom, but if i wasn't mistaken it was more like leek and potato with a slice of mushroom in it and the top appeared to be curdling? Also the salad that accompanied the goats cheese open sandwich was browning at the edges. Not a good experience.

Room Tip: didn't stay overnight so couldn't comment on rooms
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family

Dear Reviewer,
I’m genuinely sorry that we have let you down to such an extent, and that your most recent lunch experience was marred by our product. I would like to assure you that our product (Coffee and shortbread) is very popular among oakhamians. I have spoken to our chef about your experience and I believe the coffee and lunch was served to you was by an apprentice and she was not fully trained yet. I apologies again but I would very much appreciate if you could come again and taste our wonderful coffee and food.

Reviewed February 18, 2012

Room and bathroom good size, warm, comfy beds. V clear TV. Clean.
Breakfast service v good – efficient and friendly.
Lighting atrocious – not enough for reading.
Only 1 set towels, no bath mat. Shower/bath had no anti-slip or grab rail.
Loo seat lopsided – something missing beneath seat.
No information in room exc fire evacuation procedures.
Creaky floorboards above – disturbed at 1 am and 6 am – late to bed, early to rise overhead
Reception staff needs training – no "welcome" on arrival or "hope you enjoyed stay" on departure. No help with luggage.

Room Tip: Probably best to be above the creaky floorboards and not below them!!
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Sue L,
Thank you for your post, whilst I was pleased that you had an overall enjoyable stay with us. I was sorry to learn that you were disappointed with your room amenities and floor.
I would like to thank you again for your comments as I have taken a great deal from your comments and it has been really beneficial to go through this with my team.

Rohit And Team