“Don't waste your money .....you'll regret it !!!!”

L'Oliveto Ristorante Italiano
Ranked #46 of 74 Restaurants in Oakham
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Scenic view, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Don't waste your money .....you'll regret it !!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

Where do I start......my husband and I visited rutland water to do the full circuit and upon completing the circuit decided to have a bite to eat before deciding what we were going to do.....as we had parked next to the restaurant we thought we would give it a go. We both enjoy Italian food and so was rather happy to find that it was Italian.....that is where it all goes down hill and rather fast.
When we ordered the food there was only 3 other tables with customers sitting waiting, however as the room filled and these new customers were being served and actually eating and we still hadn't had our order, my husband complained to the waiter who took our order, only for him to disappear and return several minutes later stating as it was a new waiter in it section it would take a further 10mins for the food to be prepared. I expressed the fact I wasn't happy about this as other customers who had order a long time after we had were in fact eating and nearly finished in some cases, he just shrugged his shoulders and walked off. At no time were we offered any compensation for the fact they had lost our order and that we had waited nearly an hour. When the food did arrive I was a little disappointed, the pizza that i had ordered was suppose to be a spicy one, it had a total of 4 small pieces of pepperoni and a hand full of red onion in the middle, it was hard and in fact I couldn't eat the last inch or so near the crust. My husband ordered the cannelloni which he said was ok but the fresh ones from Asda were nicer, the garlic bread was the same as my pizza - hard, and the sauté potatoes were swimming in oil.

When we went to pay, they presented a bill for the food only, and had completely forgotten about the drinks, as we are honest folk we mentioned this too them where a new bill was promptly presented.

I know one thing I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone I know and unless you have a spare hour or so to sit and wait to be served then I suggest you stay well clear. I have never been in such a badly run restaurant in my life and believe me I have been to quiet a few.

• Visited May 2013

Oakham, United Kingdom
“small town italian”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

oh, where shall I start, the service was terrible, slow, hectic, and forgetful.
Every dish was served with a wallop of tomato sauce, pizza dough didn't contain any salt, my husband's side order of tomato salad had a slob of spinach on its side that clearly belonged to another dish and no one could be bothered to wipe it off. all puds were clearly mass produced. I ordered a white coffee, was served a cuppucino, when I pointed the mistake out the waitres took my coffee spooned out the froth and brought it back to me.

Visited November 2011
1 Thank Kasia M
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Seriously over-rated! BEAWARE!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER....AGAIN!
I took a 3 clients here for a meal on a Wednesday evening. I had reserved our table for 4. When we turned up 10 minutes early, the restauarant was half full, the manager at the entrance had no idea we had booked. He couldn't find our name which was a tad embarressing for me!
We were seated by a grumpy waiter who was Tunisian (I know this because I heard them speak earlier, and having been to Tunisia on holiday, I could tell)
The waiter took ages to come and take our order for drinks. The drinks came, and they'd got the drinks order wrong for my client.
We ordered our food. When it came it looked good, and smelt great - but the rest was downhill. This is a restaurant with poor food. The bread was tough, the sauces were heavy, and the pasta undercooked.
My clients steak was rare, when he had asked for it to be well done!
To top it off, we ordered a bottle of red wine, to impress my clients, I ordered a Chianti...and the waiter bought out a house red but billed me for the Chianti.
I complained about the waiter to the manager. He was apologetic, but couldn't really give a damn.
I was embaressed and annoyed. My clients weren't impressed either.
This is a serios NO GO.
There are far better Italian restaurants in Stamford, Syston and Anstey.

• Visited February 2012
2 Thank Fred W
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Fab location, great food and friendly staff. Recommended!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

I booked a table here based on Trip Advisor recommendations. The location was just as I imagined but to be honest I was initially a bit put off by the design of the place - a big cheesy fountain just as you enter and lacking a bit of genuine Italian-ness. But this feeling was short-lived - the super friendly (and VERY Italian) staff soon had us seated in the glass section overlooking the lake, then realising we were perhaps a bit cramped by a large party on the adjacent table offered us a table on the veranda. They quickly made this up just for us and busied themselves fetching menus, drinks, napkins, water - you could not fault the service. Very attentive but not intrusive, The food was absolutely delicious and on leaving "Roberto" offered us a complimentary liquor to send us on our way. Overall, an excellent choice for a romantic meal.

• Visited July 2012
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Overpriced and overcharged!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012

A group of 10 of us ate here. Some special starters were recommended (interestingly no price was given and they turned out to be very expensive!!). For my main course I chose chicken, but if you want anything with it then you pay extra! My chicken was quite boring, and certainly overpriced for what it was. I had to pay I think £3.50 extra for saute potatoes to go with it, and they arrived swimming in grease, and with some horrible bad bits of potato in it!! At home I can instantly see when peeling potatoes and cooking with them if there are any bad bits. Why would you serve bad potatoes to your customers!!!!
As some of the group had only 1 course, and some 3 with drinks too, we had decided early on that we would all pay for what we had had. After all adding an amount for a tip we discovered that we had not put enough money in to cover the bill. Maybe they thought we would just divide the bill between us all, but surprisingly there were extra's on the bill that we had not ordered, drinks, a main course, a starter.
I won't go back, I've tried both the Rutland Water and the Oakham restaurant now, and didn't think much of either. If you want a good Italian Restaurant then don't try L'Oliveto.

• Visited May 2012