“A QUIET rural retreat”
Review of The Tithe Barn

The Tithe Barn
Ranked #5 of 14 Oakham B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 9, 2011

A beautiful rural retreat not far from Rutland Water which is perfect for those seeking peace n quiet but not good for parties who want to have fun. An ideal place for nuns to stay

• Stayed: October 2011
2  Thank Unhappybun46

Reviewed August 14, 2011

We stayed in the back cottage of the Tithe Barn on our trip through England. Out of the 5 places we spent our nights, this was the favorite room. The waitstaff was incredibly friendly and attentive. For dinner, we walked down a delightfully secluded back pathway through gardens and groves to get to the nearby pub for an excellent meal. The rooms were nicely furnished, and ours had a large bay window into the garden that was lush and blooming.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed January 16, 2011

lovely welcome - our king size superior was in modern annex with power shower and free sherry! Just a shame with such a lovely bathroom there was no bubble bath provided so remember to bring your own! Good breakfast and all papers laid out - only down side was having to walk outside from room to get to main barn for breakfast but overall a very enjoyable stay - would return.
Had amazing meal in the Barnsdale lodge hotel.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank neileggybreadly
Reviewed December 4, 2010

On arrival parked in the in the car park, which unlike a previous visitor I found easily as it is right next to the B&B and was welcomed by John. John took a few mins to do paperwork and go through the normal formalities (eg breakfast times, local attractions, restuarants etc). Then showed me to my room which was not actually in the main house but on an annex. The superior room was excellent. Clean, comfortable bed, very modern bathroom, nice private conservatory, warm and as best of all there was complimentary sherry. The local pub was just a stones throw away and the food there was pretty good. \well recommended place.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank willen123
Reviewed November 16, 2010

It was below zero when we arrived at the Tithe Barn, and discovered that there were no signs to the car park. Fortunately it was obvious where the front door was, but the stepping-stone path up the grass slope was almost completely covered by frosted grass, so I had to tip-toe very gingerly to the door.

It was nice - as it always is - to be welcomed by name. Nevertheless, before I could go into the warm I had to park the car - easy in daylight, but because the car park was completely unlit, surprisingly hard at night. The ground was totally covered in a white frost and I couldn't see the shallow kerb that marked the end of the car park, ending up with my front wheels on the grass. Whilst the kerb was shallow on the car park side, the grass was a few inches lower, and because of the ice it took several attempts to reverse out - indeed, at one point I was worried I wouldn't get out at all!

At any other time of the year, or if we had arrived during daylight hours none of this would have been a problem - we were just unlucky.

A more persistent problem, apparently, is the water pressure. Our bathroom had a bath with shower attachment, but we were warned on arrival that there probably wouldn't be enough pressure to take a shower. I would presume that all first floor rooms are similarly affected, though we didn't ask (we are quite happy taking baths, so it wasn't a problem for us).

Otherwise the room was great, with a temperature-controlled valve on the radiator, a lovely king-sized bed, the usual tea and coffee-making facilities (though with only one choice of each, which is unusual), and - a very welcome touch on that cold winter's night - a carafe of complimentary sherry.

Breakfast was included in the price (although this wasn't stated on the LastMinute site where we booked), and whilst we couldn't manage a full English, we enjoyed several of the key components. The toast was excellent, as was the honey. We didn't try the jams and marmalades, but according to the menu they are usually home-made. For those who don't want a cooked breakfast there is a multitude of cereals, and there are also fruit-flavoured yoghourts on offer (a choice of two flavours on the day we were there).

The fruit juices - grapefruit and orange - were not freshly squeezed, but that's the norm in this country, I'm afraid.

The pub in Cottesloe village - the Sun Inn - serves excellent food and a good choice of ales. The spaghetti bolognese with garlic bread and thinly sliced parmesan was excellent. It's about half a mile from the B&B, so within strolling distance had it not been so cold.

Now I know the layout of the car park I would have no hesitation in returning.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed October 17, 2010

My son and I stayed overnight in the annex of The Tythe barn, having walked the round of Rutland Water. We were greeted on arrival, shown to light and airy rooms and enjoyed power showers before retiring to the conservatory with a cup of tea. The huge beds were very comfortable, and after dining out we enjoyed a sound night's sleep.
The full English breakfast in the morning was satisfying with local granary bread and home made marmalade to follow.
Altogether a most pleasant night's accommodation, and I look forward to a repeat stay next time I visit Rutland

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Grekophile
Reviewed August 23, 2010

When arriving at the Tithe Barn my friend and I were greeted very warmly by the staff. The room was clean, tidy and had complimentary sherry which was something I'd never seen before. The bed was the most comfortable I've never stayed in in a hotel/b&b. The breakfast was very nice with a variety of choices, cereals, toast and also a full English. I would strongly recommend the Tithe Barn and would definitely stay there again if

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jeminem
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oakham
The Old Wisteria Hotel
Greetham Valley Hotel
#1 of 1 in Greetham
5 mi away
Best Western Normanton Park Hotel

Been to The Tithe Barn? Share your experiences!