“Gorgeous views of Rutland Water”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Oakham
Barnsdale Country Club
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Oakham
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Our accommodation was first class in 3 bed units. We had booked for 2 weeks and could not stay in the same unit - at first this was a major hassle but the staff did try their best and sent a vn to pick up our luggage and then they dropped it off at our new unit.

We did not use either the restaurant or the leisure facilities - however, it's a great base for exploring Rutland and further afield. The talk on Monday was very informative and Tom of RCI also gave us extra hints such as Lincoln which was a great day trip.

Our accommodation was first class in the chalets - No 9 Double Storey with lounge/kitchen upstairs and No 12 - all on one floor except for 2 small bedrooms in the loft. Both with great views.

There is no service of the chalets but tis suited us fine.

Free Wi-Fi in Reception only.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the chalets - they are 3 bed and very spacious
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Barnsdale Country Club

Reviewed September 6, 2012

We went to Barnsdale Country Club on a timeshare exchange. The resort is on the edge of Rutland Water and has lovely grounds and magnificent views. A lot of the timeshare accommodation is in wooden lodges in the grounds and these look very pleasant.
If you book a timeshare exchange at this resort we suggest you put the booking on hold and check what accommodation you have been allocated before confirming. Our unit was in the main hotel building. It had limited light, limited headroom, dangerous stairs straight out of a bedroom and was only reached by 6 flights of stairs (no lift). We heard hotel guests complaining about the stairs and they were on the floor below us!
The surrounding hotels pubs and restaurants were much better value and quality than the hotel restaurant.
The area is an interesting one to visit with several friendly and enjoyable golf courses.

Room Tip: Please see our review.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank HertfordshirePandora
Reviewed July 21, 2012

Lovely grounds with fantastic views.
pool area clean and well looked after
Bar area very small and not that welcoming, bar menu for food was a little strange on the choices.
breakfast good. Romm fantastic I had 2 children with me and they each had a sofa bed each. The bathroom was huge modern fittings.

Wonderful wedding, food was great.

only one complaint the reception staff, 1 in particular a male. When i came to settle my bill I was over charged. He told me I wasn't and to check my e-mail on the rate that I had agreed. I was not impressed and I had to leave because I was that mad that he spoke to me like that. My niece went in a little later and the manager on duty was there. She had sorted it out and informed me I was right. She apologized on behalf of the member of staff, who just stood there. I was then given a refund.

What a shame about him.......

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank bobandmand
Reviewed June 19, 2012

My husband and I stayed for a week in timeshare exchange from the 9th June 2012.
The apartment in the mews was fine and very clean. The kitchen was well stocked with appliances.
The staff during check in were efficient and professional but could have been more welcoming and friendly.
On Monday, we were invited to a welcome/information coffee and cake session. This gave very good ideas of places to visit.
The grounds and location was brilliant with great views.
We were disappointed that there was no shampoo etc provided. When we asked for more toilet paper, we were told that there was a charge for this. I have never come across any hotels or self catering holidays where you have to pay for toilet paper. We felt that this was a bit mean and petty.
There was also a charge for electricty for heating and hot water.
The leisure area was fine but one of the two jacuzzi was not working and the staff seemed disinterested when asked why nothing was being done to get it fixed.
We did not eat in the restaurant as the breakfast was expensive. After being told that we had to pay for toilet paper, we didn't feel like spending any money at the hotel so refused to eat breakfast /dinner in the hotel.
The hotel staff were aware that it was my husband's birthday and a small gesture to acknowledge this would have been nice.
Although the apartment was nice, the attitude of the management and staff has put us off going there again.

Room Tip: The one bedroom apartment in the mews is fine for two people. Larger apartments are available for fa...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
10  Thank Ishiarusha
Reviewed May 17, 2012 via mobile

Stayed for a week in timeshare exchange.
It was very enjoyable and we would definately return.
Accommodation is very spacious and clean.
All you need is some nice weather.
There were significant draughts through the patio doors, I suspect it would be freezing in the Winter.

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed May 9, 2011

We visitied Barnsdale country club the week before the royal wedding. The weather was fantastic. The grounds at Barnsdale were blooming and beautifully kept. We stayed in the stables in a spacious unit. The restaurant served good food. Our son used the exercise room which closes early. Our family took the fly fishing class offered by Rob Waddington next to the resort - excellent ! Well worth the price. Great pubs in the area. If you travel to London book the train ahead or you will pay a huge amount of money (found this out the hard way). The only negative about the resort is the ultra strict check in time. We arrived at 3:30 after having travelled many hours only to be told to come back in a half hour - the receptionist would not even check to see if our unit was ready. Everyone checks in at 4:00pm. We own two timeshares and have traded many times and have never encountered this response before.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
9  Thank 8942donna
Reviewed September 27, 2008

Stayed here for a week in what was called an apartment.
It was downstairs - I would call this a basement flat - and it was booked through RCI. We had a 1 bedroom. The first thing we noticed was how dark it was being down below.
I feel what spoilt it for us was that the cleanliness left a lot to be desired. At either side of the bed behind the bedside tables were cobwebs and on closer inspection they were also around the tops of the wall lights. In fact it was like cobweb city going in and out of the apartment. The whole exterior could have don with a very good clean. Also they could have done with new coffee mugs as they were very badly stained and this also was a big put off!
The only good thing I can say about the place was the grounds were beautiful and well kept - pity they did not look after the apartments the same and the meals we had in the restaurant were quite good.
That being said I don't think I shall bother staying there again.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
6  Thank farahlea
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oakham
Barnsdale Hall Hotel
Hambleton Hall
#1 of 1 in Hambleton
Best Western Normanton Park Hotel
The Old Wisteria Hotel

Been to Barnsdale Country Club? Share your experiences!