“Overall a great experience!”
Review of Castle Lodge Hotel

Castle Lodge Hotel
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Ross-on-Wye
Hereford
“Overall a great experience!”
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Had a meal at the hotel not so long ago. The hotel has plenty of character and one of my favourite features is the bar. The meal itself was very well presented and tasted great, nothing to fault at all. The hosts were very accommodating and couldn't do more for us. Slightly bemused by the negative reviews but I would undoubtedly recommend this fantastic hotel!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

Read some mixed reviews, but found Steve, our host very pleasant and helpful. The room was lovely and very quiet despite the proximity of the road. Didn't eat here or have breakfast (having eaten lots the night before) so can't comment on that, but the restaurant and bar area were very nice. Lovely bookshelfs of books to browse through on a rainy day, comfy chairs. If I were being picky, the shower was a bit quirky with a shower screen that wasn't really long enough to give confidence that the water wouldn't splash out, so I showered very carefully then put my towel on the floor to act as a bath mat. There seemed to be a shortage of towels, with two bath towels only for two people. No bath mat and no hand towels. Still, very nice hotel.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed August 28, 2013

The Hotel manager/owner was the most rude, sarcastic and odious person I have ever met, absolutely no sense of sociability or making the customers fill welcome. He felt like a robot that was programmed and forced to ask questions in an extremely sarcastic banal tone. Lets just say him and his staff made us feel very uncomfortable whilst we stayed there for example cracking jokes about how my father was going to have a stroke after we had a cigarette how is this acceptable behavior to talk to a customer like this, if we wish to smoke outside whilst on holiday then its none of his business at all.The bed I stayed in was nothing more than a camp bed with a giant metal bar running through the middle so I might as well have slept on the floor. Do not stay here!! It really was the weirdest experience I have ever had, I never met such a dry and stale owner in my life it reminded me of a character the league of gentlemen creepy and weird. I never write these things but I was so angry about this experience I had to let people know who dare to stay here thanks.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Adam R
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I like to give a balanced view on any place I have visited, I Never have the time or patience to write on these things but I feel compelled to write this. I entered the hotel soaking wet as we had been on a canoeing holiday. When I got into my room and had a shower I remembered being pleasantly surprised by the room. It was oldy worldy and looked smart and clean. I had a shower and left to have something to eat in the pub we had parked up the canoes at. When we returned to the hotel we were met by the owner, who was rather awkard to talk to and seemed slightly miffed that we hadn't eaten in his restaurant. We were going to the bar but left it because of this fact. My brother and father smoke and they went outside for a cigarette throughout the evening, they were asked why they kept on going outside and why they kept on smoking? We just thought he was a little off but nothing to worry about. In the morning the shower filled up because of a blocked drain. The water then some how came through the ceiling an into the bar below us, and we where accused of letting the water spray out from the shower onto the carpet? As an front of house manager for a well know hotel chain, I was a little insulted when he didn't even believe what I was saying, as he kept on asking me over and over again, I had to offer him the opportunity to come in and check it over before he believed me. After this accusation, we decided to have breakfast down the road. The owner then tried to bump up the price on the room when we came to pay, until we got the email to show the quoted price, then after all that he tried to charge us extra for breakfast that we had not had even though he knew we where not eating breakfast and his quoted price didn't included breakfast. After talking to local business people the opinion is, the hotel is not looking at the big picture it scams people for a few pounds here and there and doesn't deliver the service that warrants the money it is charging for it accommodation. I would suggest if you are going to patron the hotel you check the bill and eat out because the hospitality is very poor. But there are better hotels in the area and I would suggest you have a look elsewhere before booking this one.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 30, 2013

My husband and I stayed for two nights (23/24 July 2013)at this hotel, having requested a move from another nearby hotel due to a problem with our room (incidentally our move was well-managed by the previous hotel staff) and what a gem this was. The room was tastefully decorated, the view of the river Wye was very restful, and the bed was comfortable. Having sampled Steve and Georgina's (5*) cooked breakfast the first morning, we decided to stay another night! We also stayed for dinner at the hotel and, once again, we were not disappointed with the food - delicious!! the hosts are very friendly and welcoming and deserve praise for the professional and value for money way in which they run their hotel. Thanks for a lovely stay - would certainly recommend. the river walk is a must :)

Room Tip: Room four has a beautiful view of the river and is tastefully decorated.
Wales
Reviewed July 30, 2013

The owner of this hotel is fantastic! He saved the day for us by giving us a lift to pick up our car when we couldn't get a taxi on Sunday morning after the wedding we had attended nearby. He wouldn't even take any money for it! What a kind gesture and it was really appreciated. This is a lovely place to stay and it has its own unique quirky style. Our room was very clean and comfortable. I would definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor room with a view.
Devon
Reviewed July 24, 2013

We came back for our third visit in three years - a half-way house for us on our way to North Wales, and, as always, Georgina and Steve made us feel very much at home. Our room this time was even better (Number 2) and over the three nights of our stay, going and coming back, we were given every kindness. Steve went out of his way to help us - my wife is disabled - and between them they made us feel very special. Dinners and breakfasts were delightful, and Steve even taught us a few words in Zulu - he lived in South africa for many years! We had time to see something of Ross over a weekend, and also to visit the castle, which is literally just round the corner from the hotel. Both Steve and Georgina have put a great deal of work and effort into making Castle Lodge a place to stay. We'll be back again!

Room Tip: Decor is great and every room has its merits - room 2 especially for its very comfortable bed.