“Definately a midweek break with a difference”
Review of The Hill House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ross-on-Wye
The Hill House
Ranked #11 of 43 Ross-on-Wye B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 6, 2008

This place is just fantastic. A warm welcome and just the most fantastic room. We stayed in the Dryad Suite. A massive bed fit for Henry VIII. Ghostly noises added to the quirkyness. We certainly were not disappointed. Love Alex and Duncan's food. The breakfast was huge, just the best. Supper was wonderful and excellent value and the secret wine and the organic chocolate hidehole in out suite was a great idea.

We love Alex and Duncan's way of life and their ability to source local and/or organic foods. Just the best quality. Granted downstairs living areas are well lived in but it is their home. We felt like part of the family. If your expecting a Motel you'l be disappointed. If your expecting the unexpected you'l be pleasantly surprised.

If you want something different then this is the best place.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 15, 2008

I stayed for a weekend while attending a wedding in Ross-on-Wye, and wished it had been longer! As a single traveller I appreciated the friendly welcome, informal and relaxed atmosphere and the charming quirkiness of the whole place. OK, some of the public areas are a bit of a work in progress but my room and bathroom (White Lady Room) were immaculate and extremely comfortable and the breakfasts were ... epic. Although I didn't personally try out all the facilities I don't think I've ever encountered such a range of opportunities to entertain yourself outside of a 5-star hotel before (I've certainly never encountered an emergency bottle of wine in the wardrobe - more establishments should adopt the idea!). Being an omnivore I didn't try Alex's vegetarian menus, but Duncan makes a delicious nettle soup which was all I needed for supper after that breakfast. I left very switched-off and laid back having thoroughly enjoyed my stay, and even after a 4½ hour drive home felt I'd had a real holiday. Really very, very good value for money.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed September 20, 2007

This was our second stay in The Dryad Suite, A Super room with a 6 foot wide four poster bed, with feather duvet and pillows, another room with a double curtained bed, and a bathroom with a roll top bath, complimentary use of toiletries and candles, and hosts who really do make an effort to ensure that your needs are met...what more could you want!
we stayed with our three and a half year old and all it cost us for him was a fiver a night, and whilst mentioning prices the adult price was 29 per night, for the whole suite! Including a rather nice aga cooked breakfast feast! and I really do mean feast, cereal, toast, apple juice, jams, marmalade, honey, chutney, bacon, sausages, eggs, mushrooms (fried in butter) tomatoes (whole, Cooked) Tea, coffee.
In the past, elsewhere, I have paid double the price and stayed in a cramped room with a cupboard excused as a shower room and a rasher of bacon and a smiley face for breakfast!
It has to be remembered that this is Duncan & Alex's home and I do not think they make as much money (if any) then they could, To them i think it is more important that they provide there guests with a relaxing break and that those guests return.
Yes the downstairs is a bit disorganised, but if you require anything your needs are met, in my opinion this is far more important then a pristine polished floor and an overwhelming smell of disenfectant!
We went solely to chill out and relax, which is exactley what we did, we were offered the use of baby monitors, which we declined as our little one was suffering with a bad chest, we were offered polyester bedding if the feathers affected him (they didnt) We were given plates and cutlery so we could eat a takeaway in our room.
I love it here and hope that duncan and alex are still offering such hospitality in years to come.
One final point they have 3 great kids, so if you take children you can be well assured that they will have playmates for your stay!
For the price i would say the hill house is a real gem!

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank flo3lla
Reviewed September 5, 2007

My husband and I stayed at Hill House for a long weekend in July and slept in Old Mrs Thomas' room. We were very lucky with the weather and the house is ideally situated with lovely views and a very peaceful feel. Our room was very nice, clean and comfy and the food served to us was excellent. However we had one or two gripes. Firstly our room had a fabulous huge japanese bath tub which i was really looking forward to using but the hot water kept on running out and i only managed to have one full depth bath while we were there. But our main concern was the rather dusty state of the downstairs areas, particularly the bar. Friends had stayed there before us so were knew it was going to be somewhat jumbled and hectic but we found the bar to be just too dusty to sit in. My husband couldn't stop sneezing so we spent our time in our room or went out. There are also two cats at the property which guests with allergies should be aware of (we weren't) as they also made us both sneezy and wheezy. These problems didn't altogether spoil our stay but it would have been so much better without them. I would go again but only if i know things had improved.

• Stayed: July 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
19  Thank AngelaJJJ
Reviewed June 28, 2007

I've been coming here about once a year for long weekends over about 4 years. It's a fun, relaxed place, with the slightly wacky Duncan and his wife Alex giving a very friendly welcome.

The house has an emphasis on serving up organic, locally-sourced produce, which is excellent. I eat meat, but not in large amounts: the cooked breakfast is fabulous but in very big portions so you probably won't be needing lunch. On my most recent visit I tried out the veggie breakfast which is equally huge and delicious - try out Alex's 'Welsh mountains' if she is still doing them.

One rather less 'green' touch is the fact that they have a hot tub - but it feels like such a treat sitting in there with a chilled glass of wine, so it's hard to resist! I think this service may incur an extra charge, if I remember rightly, so check first.

I've stayed in the Dryad Suite which has the most huge 7ft bed and the Mrs Thomas room (I think that was the name) which has a smaller but very comfy bed and a Japanese-style bath. I've never seen ghosts there, but the place does have something of an interesting atmosphere.

If you're into hiking the surrounding countryside is great walking territory, but there are also a couple of fairly short walks you can go on straight from the house itself - there are laminated guides and walking sticks available if you want them. There is a small area of woodland which belongs to the house itself so you can sit out there at night and go badger or owl watching if you wish (didn't manage to see any, but I heard the owls!)

Pubs and local restaurants are a drive rather than a walk away but the owners may be able to cook you dinner at an additional charge if you book in advance, and you can also eat takeaways in the B&B. If you want a drink, the house has a little wood-panelled tv/board games/bar room where they sell wine and beer.

There's also a little 'home cinema' (don't expect anything fancy from the title, it's just a room set aside to play DVDs) and they have a selection for you to watch if you feel like it.

I'd agree with the reviewer who said this may not suit people who like Holiday Inn style functional modern accommodation - the house is a family home and the downstairs areas aren't incredibly tidy. On the other hand this place is going to be highly suitable for people who like organic, local food, hikers, wildlife-watchers, ghost-watchers, pagans or those simply looking for a friendly, idiosyncratic place to stay in peaceful rural surroundings. Writing this review makes me feel like going back there again...

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank elleme
Reviewed March 7, 2007

As others have stated before, the Hill House has magnificent views, amazing food and a very warm & friendly welcome from both Duncan & Alex. but what about its darker side............

We went on a paranormal weekend after hearing of the house's other Worldly guests and I must say we wasn't dissapointed.

Ghostly noises in the Dryad Suite, strange sensations in the White Lady room and Who was the little old Lady in Old Mrs Thomas's room, these all made for an absolutely excellent weekend and an ideal way to make yourself jump when the gray cat lands on your lap in the dark.

All in all, an exceedingly wonderfull place to visit, look forward to my return.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Orbsearcher
Reviewed January 8, 2007

As the previous reviewer has noted, don't stay here if you like Holiday Inn's. The rooms are clean and tidy, with comfy beds, snuggly duvets and great pillows. The bathrooms are individual. Each of the rooms has its own charm - the Dryad Suite with its huge four-poster is ideal for honeymooners or couples on romantic weekends away. The proprietor will even serve breakfast in bed or in front of the fire.

The grounds are large enough to have an enjoyable half hour walk, and in the summer it is possible to sit out and admire the views whilst drinking local organic wines or beers.

All the food is either locally sourced or organic. Breakfasts are huge.

Sauna and hot tub are great, and you can choose your own music for the sauna. The hot tub has views across the Wye Valley.

In the winter, you can snuggle down into the beanbags in front of the fire with other guests in the cosy bar area.

Ideal for anyone wanting a cheap but fantastic escape from the stresses of everyday life.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with friends