“A well established and bomb proof country inn”

The Old Court Hotel
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Ross-on-Wye
Southwest
“A well established and bomb proof country inn”
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Tori and her staff make every effort to be helpful and provide a first class service to their customers. Nothing seems too much trouble. They are very aware of food allergies and can accommodate the fussiest of eaters with good humour and excellent cooking. The friendly welcome and roaring fires make this a "must" if you are passing anywhere near Whitchurch on the A40.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Corby, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I booked this hotel the night before I stayed there. It was a last minute booking for a business trip. I stayed one night only.

Where do I start?

Considering I booked my room the night before at very short notice, value for money was excellent. Breakfast was included in the deal. All of the staff are very friendly and nothing seems too much for them which really makes a nice change.

My room was clean and had everything I needed - tea making facilities being one of the most important! Toiletries are provided and the room was well heated (not too cold). The bed was comfortable and the hotel was quiet in my rooms vicinity.

There are two restaraunts, an a la carte and a bar menu is available to the tired traveller. I chose to have a bar meal from a very extensive and well priced menu. I did not look at the a la carte menu. My Beer battered cod and chips was served quickly and was nice and warm. The servings were good and very tasty. Try the the real ales if you get the opportunity I had a lovely pint of BOB I think! The breakfast was superb in every single element. I had the full english of course!

This hotel is a real gem and deserves all the praise it gets. I would have no hesitation in recommending it to anyone. I will definately visit again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Ross on Wye, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 24, 2013

We have used the Old Court a lot in the past few years and always find the food and drink to be excellent and the staff to be extremely helpful and friendly. In the summer they have a great outdoor area and in the winter is is very cosy and warm with fires buring.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Chepstow, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 13, 2013

what can i say!!! the old court is amazing!! the christmas doos are immense and we keep going back so they must be doing something right!! we feel like valued customers and the staff arekind and very helpful! the food maybe above average for the price but it is delicious and homemade. i suggest the fish pie if you ever go back!! dont book online ring them !! the rooms are very vintage but so is the hotel so.. if your looking for a long weekend away go to the old court. they dont have a swimming pool anymore but have childrens playarea outside

Room Tip: go up onto the rock !! its amazing
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Nicole B
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Their strap line goes something like that. A quaint welcoming old hotel. Log fires, good dining. All that's missing is Mr Pickwick. Friendly, helpful staff. It's not cheap but it doesn't disappoint. Handy for exploring Wye Valley. Never stayed in Summer to enjoy the garden at the back.

• Stayed December 2012
Newcastle under Lyme
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We were greeted on arrival by a very cheerful and friendly member of staff, all of whom seem to be extremely versatile, working in the restaurant and bar as well as reception. This set the tone for the weekend, six of us there to explore the area (rather a lot of flood water around!), and we were given excellent instructions regarding available walks. The food was excellent, service great, room was a little quirky, but it's an old building and we were only in the room to sleep! Highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Redditch, England
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We have stayed in this hotel now 3 times, once in 2008, then in 2010 and lastly in 2012. From our first visit in 2008, we were upgraded and given a bottle of wine as it was our first stay. We felt like the staff genuinely were friendly and cared. We had dinner in the dining room and the food was gorgeous, as was the atmosphere- was a bit pricey but worth it for a special occassion. We found our upgraded room nice and comfy, clean and pleasant.

In 2010 we stayed again because we'd been so impressed the first time. Our room was a standard, not as nice as the upgraded room but that was to be expected. Again the staff were nice and the breakfast was very nice. We enjoyed our stay, but not as nice as the first experience.

In 2012 we returned, this time with our dog in tow, which we had to pay an extra £10 a night for. Our room, a standard, was OK, a bit old fashioned. The staff weren't half as friendly as the first time, but were alright. We had dinner in the dining room, it was not as good as the first time and I can only imagine they have changed their chef in this time. I didn't feel this time that it justified the price. Our server was pleasant and the girl serving the bar after was nice. Breakfast was nice.

The area is nice and has good links to Ross-On-Wye and the various walks.

I just feel that the place is lacking what it used to have back in 2008, I don't know what it is, but back then it felt like you arrived and were looked after, this year, I just felt like a number.
I would stay again, as it has nice memories, but would think twice about eating in the dining room due to the cost.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kezbarz
Victoria S, Owner at The Old Court Hotel, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Thank you for your feedback although I am intrigued to know why you posted review 8 months after visiting? I am sorry you felt like a "number". We certainly try very hard to ensure that this is not the case and obviously failed during your visit to us last May. In relation to your comments about the restauarnt food, we have had the same team of chefs for over 5 years now, if the food was not up to our usual standard I apologise and hope that if you choose to stay again you will see that it is still a very high standard. As for the charge for your dog. We have always charged for dogs as the room needs additional cleaning after a dog has visited. I am sorry that you did not realise this on your previous stays without the dog. We do hope that you may visit again if you are in the area to see that we still care deeply about our customers.