“The hotel you tell your friends about and want to return to” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Old Court Hotel

and 1 more site!
The Old Court Hotel
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Ross-on-Wye
“The hotel you tell your friends about and want to return to”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

Their strap line goes something like that. A quaint welcoming old hotel. Log fires, good dining. All that's missing is Mr Pickwick. Friendly, helpful staff. It's not cheap but it doesn't disappoint. Handy for exploring Wye Valley. Never stayed in Summer to enjoy the garden at the back.

• Stayed December 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Newcastle under Lyme
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

We were greeted on arrival by a very cheerful and friendly member of staff, all of whom seem to be extremely versatile, working in the restaurant and bar as well as reception. This set the tone for the weekend, six of us there to explore the area (rather a lot of flood water around!), and we were given excellent instructions regarding available walks. The food was excellent, service great, room was a little quirky, but it's an old building and we were only in the room to sleep! Highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Redditch, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

We have stayed in this hotel now 3 times, once in 2008, then in 2010 and lastly in 2012. From our first visit in 2008, we were upgraded and given a bottle of wine as it was our first stay. We felt like the staff genuinely were friendly and cared. We had dinner in the dining room and the food was gorgeous, as was the atmosphere- was a bit pricey but worth it for a special occassion. We found our upgraded room nice and comfy, clean and pleasant.

In 2010 we stayed again because we'd been so impressed the first time. Our room was a standard, not as nice as the upgraded room but that was to be expected. Again the staff were nice and the breakfast was very nice. We enjoyed our stay, but not as nice as the first experience.

In 2012 we returned, this time with our dog in tow, which we had to pay an extra £10 a night for. Our room, a standard, was OK, a bit old fashioned. The staff weren't half as friendly as the first time, but were alright. We had dinner in the dining room, it was not as good as the first time and I can only imagine they have changed their chef in this time. I didn't feel this time that it justified the price. Our server was pleasant and the girl serving the bar after was nice. Breakfast was nice.

The area is nice and has good links to Ross-On-Wye and the various walks.

I just feel that the place is lacking what it used to have back in 2008, I don't know what it is, but back then it felt like you arrived and were looked after, this year, I just felt like a number.
I would stay again, as it has nice memories, but would think twice about eating in the dining room due to the cost.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kezbarz
Victoria S, Owner at The Old Court Hotel, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Thank you for your feedback although I am intrigued to know why you posted review 8 months after visiting? I am sorry you felt like a "number". We certainly try very hard to ensure that this is not the case and obviously failed during your visit to us last May. In relation to your comments about the restauarnt food, we have had the same team of chefs for over 5 years now, if the food was not up to our usual standard I apologise and hope that if you choose to stay again you will see that it is still a very high standard. As for the charge for your dog. We have always charged for dogs as the room needs additional cleaning after a dog has visited. I am sorry that you did not realise this on your previous stays without the dog. We do hope that you may visit again if you are in the area to see that we still care deeply about our customers.
Mirfield, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

Genuinely shocked that this hotel has an overall 4/5 rating and gobsmacked that so many people have actually rated it 5/5.

I will start by saying that the only nice thing I found about this hotel, is that they accomodated me at VERY short notice at an agreed cut down price by another hotel owner.
The hotel I'd originally booked into, recommended that I didn't stay there due to high river levels and adverse weather conditions and rang the owners of The Old Court to arrange for me to stay there instead.
The standard room rate for The Old Court is £85, I paid £50. This was still £50 too much!!!!

The room size (including the bathroom) was no more that 10'x10' square. The decor was old and shabby. The woodlouse walking across my floor as I entered the room was not well received. The hair (I assume from the person who had stayed in the room previously) all around the bath and in the sink, made me physically gip. The used sewing kit and (again cleaner's or previous occupant's) hair all over my bed were just some of the things that made this stay unbearable.

There was the a wedding reception directly below my room with loud music being played til at least 1am. The wedding party then made as much noise as possible when returning to their rooms. Slamming doors and marching up the stair case (again next to my room).
Then there were the bins which were directly below my bedroom window, with cleaners throwing out trash and bottle til late at night.

All in all a combination of factors that mean I will NEVER stay here again, nor shall I be recommending this hotel to ANY of my friends or family!!!

Room Tip: Avoid last minute bookings if you want a clean room and good nights sleep!!!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank SamW237
Victoria S, Owner at The Old Court Hotel, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Thank you for your review. I am sorry you were not happy with your stay here. Unfortuneatly we only had our tiniest and last room left when we were called from the flooded pub you had booked to stay at. I appreciate that it is small and that we had a wedding going on below during your stay but we took your booking as you could not stay at the flooded pub. Normally customers booking this room would be told it is small and that it is above the function room so that there was no surprises. This was not the case with you due to the last minute nature of the booking.
As far as the cleaning issues, I can only apologise. This is not our normal standards and I have met with the team and shared my thoughts regarding this.
I understand you would not choose to come here again, whilst I do understand that, you did not choose to come here in the first place!
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

Restaurante review only as we didn't stay
Great location and lovely restaurant
We add lunch on the conservatory and was great with the sun shine coming thought the window's
Food ok, "maybe homemade sauces would made the difference from ok to good"
Service was good and very friendly
Overall was ok and I would recommend

• Stayed November 2012
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

Really enjoyed our one night at this hotel, the atmosphere was exactly what I was after. The house is old and crookedy in all the right places. The rooms where breakfast is held are stunning and the gardens outside are lovely to sit in. There's a surprising amount of activities within walking distance. All the staff were very friendly and helpful. Would definitely return.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

Perhaps the title of this review reflects the age of our map, but we certainly had problems finding the hotel and even getting to the A466 the next day. My husband has mobility difficulties, so the stairs were a bit of a problem, but the chirpy young lady at reception gave us a room on the first floor and he struggled up. I assume there are no rooms downstairs. My fault, I should have asked before booking. In the event, I'm glad we came here, because the cosy little room was perfect, for several reasons.
Firstly it was warm and with a window you could open for fresh air at night. Secondly there was a walk in shower, so there was no danger of my husband falling as there had been in other hotels where the shower was over a bath. Thirdly the TV was ideally situated on the wall at the bottom of the bed, so we could watch 'Downton' in comfort, not having to turn our heads to look at a screen in a far corner. Had there been a function that night we might have had noise from the garden and conservatory below our window, but this didn't happen and we slept soundly in 'Ontario's' comfortable bed.
An unexpected bonus was the Butterfly Farm and Garden centre on the far side of the road. Our bar meal was reasonably priced and breakfast acceptable, though my husband thought the pretty waitress was the best bit........Can't take him anywhere! I would rate the service, value and location as 'good', if Tripadvisor gave this option.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple