“Charming service shame about the food”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Travellers Rest

Travellers Rest
Ranked #52 of 82 Restaurants in Ross-on-Wye
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Kids, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Charming service shame about the food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

We had lunch at The Travellers Rest on Easter Saturday. There were 10 of us including 2 vegetarians and 3 children under 7.
Unlike other customers, we found the service particularly good. The staff were all attentive and helpful and the meals came in good time.
There was a vast choice on the menu and we felt that the food probably suffered as a result. Mushroom risotto came with no identifiable mushrooms (although the manager kindly organised a plate of freshly cooked mushrooms to go with it when we commented), the roast vegetable pasta was bland and the chips were not the best. On the other hand, my husband highly rated the fish and the vegetarian tart and beef ribs were also tasty.
We ordered 9 meals and also had 4 plates of nachos and drinks and the whole lot came in at under £10 each, having said that we did order most of the meals off the discounted (pre 6:30pm) menu.
This is not the place to go if you are looking for a gourmet meal but we found the staff charming, there was plenty of parking, colouring for the children and we were in and out in an hour which, with 3 young boys, is always a bonus.

• Visited March 2013

Caerphilly, United Kingdom
“Well Looked After”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

My wife and I had a lunchtime (midway) get together with our daughter and grandson. Had an enjoyable and casual lunch, with good service.

• Visited March 2013
Barry, United Kingdom
“Chef needs to learn how to cook”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

Stopped here last Sunday, only due to the large car park, suitable for the type of vehicles we were driving.
Loads of staff about inside, and seemed to be very busy.
We were told that we could eat in the bar area, having no room for 5 in the restaurant.
We all ordered at the bar and found a small table in the window opposite the till area.

Whilst waiting for the food to arrive, I witnessed several customers taking there food back to the till area, and could clearly hear several complaints, and the female manageress apologising and taking the food back through the kitchen.

My friend ordered the pork Sunday dinner, which came with frozen type roast potatoes and veg
I was informed that the pork was tasteless, and over cooked.
Myself and another ordered the mixed grill, where I ordered the steak as medium!!
They arrived some ten minutes after the first meals, mine was terribly over cooked with the egg having no white, and the steak like a stone
I should of complained also, however my friends had already eaten there's and I couldn't wait any longer.

The poor lady in charge took a lot of complaints whilst we were there, I think if I was her I would of given the chef the rest of the year off!!!
There was a couple sat behind us, who also sent the food back, and found it amusing when others done the same.
Don't travel that way very much, and if I did, I wouldn't stop again.

1 Thank Stretch7158
Ross-on-Wye
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

We had a family meal here last weekend and were generally disappointed by it.

Nothing was truly dreadful but nothing was great either. With the Beefeater chain you have an idea of what to expect, a range of steaks and a few alternative dishes nothing too cutting edge but a decent standard. Like other people mentioned there does not seem to be enough staff, waiting times are long the little details not quite right. The quality of the steaks themselves was just not great, and if a steakhouse can't get that right they're in trouble.

• Visited February 2013
United Kingdom
“Oh how it's changed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

Went on Saturday lunchtime as a family group of six meeting up on the Sat before Xmas. First of all, we noticed the apparent apathetic attitude of the staff when checking in to the restaurant. Very disappointing! Long delay before orders taken - usually a sign of being understaffed. Eventually meal arrived, a varied selection, but noticed all looked dried up, pale and most unappitizing. I'd ordered a T bone steak, medium rare with an extra sauce in all about £20.50. When it came it was all dried out, the steak was only about 8mm thick, grey right through and had an layer of inedible fat/gristle all around the edge. The sauce was congealed in the tiny sauce boat which had to be encouraged out of the boat with a knife!
It was returned to the kitchen. A replacement arrived some 20 mins later when the rest of the group had finished what they were prepared to eat of theirs. The replacement was twice the thickness of the original and was slightly pink in the middle - a better attempt, but the sirloin side was as tough as old boots! Another member of the of the party requested salmon but was advised no new potatoes - but offered a jacket instead. That turned out to be dried up leaving the feeling that £15 for a small portion of Salmon and a dried up jacket was a bit steep. The poor guy that ordered the burger said he'd wished he had gone to Weatherspoons in Ross as it was dry and did not compare to the succulent burgers they apparently serve there.
In all we had a terrible experience which in no way compared to the standard we remember at the Travellers Rest at Ross. Although it is central for the family to meet up at, I don't think it will be suggested for the next gathering even it the price of the steak was taken off the bill.
Oh what a shame when standards tumble like this!

• Visited December 2012