“Friendly; unpretentious; worth a visit” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Lough Pool Bar and Restaurant

The Lough Pool Bar and Restaurant
Ranked #20 of 82 Restaurants in Ross-on-Wye
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: The restaurant offers diners a tasty seasonal menu of the best British cuisine and we can cater for intimate dinners or parties. Our produce is fresh and locally sourced and cooked by Paul for your enjoyment. We offer local ales and cider or choose from our specially selected wine list. In the summer why not enjoy alfresco dining in our garden surrounded by the spectacular Herefordshire countryside. Set in the beautiful rural Herefordshire countryside (an oasis for walkers!) The Lough Pool is easily accessible from Ross-on-Wye or Hereford and offers plenty of parking. Well behaved children and dogs are always welcome...
Monmouth, United Kingdom
“Friendly; unpretentious; worth a visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014

Home-made crisps on the bar are either a smokescreen or an indication of attention to detail. In the case of the Lough Pool Inn it's the latter, the detail even extending to a bowl of dog biscuits nearby. This is a friendly 'locals' pub in a decidedly rural setting, and with a lovely garden beside the eponymous pond. We were here for Sunday lunch and the menu was exactly what you'd hope for. The roast beef on the table one side looked excellent; the two mixed grills the other side magnificent. We chose fish pie, which was full of meaty fish and tasty too. The sticky toffee pudding (James Martin's recipe I gather) was one of only a very few I've awarded 10/10. Well done! Light sponge but properly sticky all the way through. The service from the friendly barman and waitresses was exemplary. The building is a text-book black and white country pub and if you're looking for a trip out (easy reach of M50) and dependable, homely food, this should be on your list.

• Visited January 2014

Hereford, United Kingdom
“Oh dear!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2013

We used to love this place. It is still a lovely country pub but unfortunately in the wrong hands. How can you cock-up serving a straightforward order of 2 x Sunday roast? Poor management of the kitchen and the staff - that's how!

Their problem had arisen because a group booking was in (who had pre-ordered) and they simply couldn't cope. We wanted to love the experience, we wanted to forgive them their shortcomings - but the way it was handled left me cold. From ordering 2 rare beef (all usual sides including Yorkshire puddings) to receiving 2 over-cooked beef with no Yorkshires (contradictory excuses received for this but they could not supply them) took over one & a half hours (yes,we had booked our table, we had not arrive 'on 'spec'). We were not alone - all the people at tables who were in ahead of us faired no better.

The anti-Tripadvisor newspaper cutting on their pin board in the entrance hall should have been a warning to us but I didn't see that until we were leaving. Oh dear.

• Visited December 2013
3 Thank M0llyGT
Ross-on-Wye, United Kingdom
“Nice to be back”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2013

It has been sometime since we last ate here, however friends had told us that we should give it a try. We were very glad we did, having enjoyed a very well prepared and enjoyable meal coupled with pleasant service. We will return.

Visited November 2013
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Great pre wedding party at the Lough Pool”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

My wedding was at a nearby venue so myself, family and friends booked a table at the Lough Pool to celebrate the evening before the big day. This turned out to be a great decision which kicked started the wedding celebrations in perfect fashion. We had a table booked for 7pm, but due to traffic and other circumstances many of the party (including myself who had organised the evening) arrived over an hour late. We anticipated that this may cause a problem on a Friday evening but our fears were quickly put to bed and they assured us that it wasn't a problem at all. There were 15 of us there and I can honestly say that everyone had a fantastic meal. All the meals were prepared quickly and served at the same time. I had steak which was awesome, but I also found myself jealous of my friends meals which looked equally fantastic. The meals have an authentic feel and are top notch pub food. Maybe a little more expensive than one of your chain pubs, but you expect that and you definitely got what you paid for. After the meal, half of the party went back to the hotel, and a few of us stayed for a few more beers (much to my regret in the morning). At this point, Jim and his wife were fantastic and really got into the swing of things with us. Everybody had a really enjoyable time and I have now made the Lough Pool my 'local' when I visit my in-laws. Great staff and great setting.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“Idyllic setting even on a chilly evening”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

The Lough Pool is in a most beautiful unspoilt peaceful part of Herefordshire. It is a beautiful old building sympathetically restored to make a comfortable characterful place for supper. Yesterday evening, the bar was warm and cosy and the log burning stove was very effective.
There was an excellent choice of food and we were impressed by the high standard of the cooking and the effective use of locally sourced ingredients.
Service was friendly and efficient and we had a very enjoyable evening.
I think this place is a real gem and I would recommend it to anyone, not only for its beautiful surroundings and the picturesque building, but also its excellent service and splendid choice of dishes

• Visited November 2013