“Excellent contryside experience”

Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Ross-on-Wye
Derby, England, United Kingdom
“Excellent contryside experience”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Just back from spending four excellent nights at the Wilton Court. The location is amazing, right by the river and only a few minutes walk into Ross. The food is of excellent quality,served in a relaxed atmosphere by members of staff who are always pleased to see you. Always a memorable and relaxing stay.

1 Thank Dave E

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
Hong Kong
Reviewed August 20, 2013

This trip was a fantastic change from the busy life in the city, and I couldn't have asked for a better experience. The service was efficient and impeccable, and the accommodation was homey and comfortable. The food was unique and absolutely delicious, the high quality maintained in all the restaurants Wilton Court offers. The whole atmosphere of the Bed & Breakfast hotel was cosy and pleasant, every room unique. My family and I received the best treatment, especially from Helen and Roger, and I couldn't be happier with the trip. The surrounding area consists of well kept greenery, and the country side is abundant with breath-taking, natural beauty. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Hilairew
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 18, 2013

For the second year we have stayed near by and enjoyed dining here on two occasions once again. The restaurant is lovely and the menu is not overloaded with options ensuring fresh, seasonal produce beautifully cooked and stylishly presented. One evening last year and again this year the owner came into the dining room and exchanged a few words which was good and much appreciated. I think the gentleman who seems to be a manager and who served our drinks in the bar this year could have remembered us from Friday to Tuesday and acknowledged us. I work in the tourism business and know how very important that sort of quality is to the visitor experience and makes an establishment stand out. However, it is a beautiful place to go and would heartily recommend it.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
United Kingdom
Reviewed August 15, 2013

This isn't an easy review to write as having recently as in 6 months ago visited Orles Barn just 1/2 mile away.We had a high standard to reach.So here goes.
The building is lovely so full of character and our room with Four poster had amazing views,clean and tidy.But attention to detail was lacking. The loo seat was loose.the hairdryer cable didn't reach the socket so unable to blow dry my hair.Towels small not fluffy and sheets as one would expect from a 5 star.No non slip bath mat.
The food in the restaurant was superb however our pre dinner drink in the bar was more suited to a funeral .The music played was classic FM and hymns.i felt this was lazy as when we asked why, the manager said that it took time to record the 40 or so CDS on to a player. Such a shame as one can understand why at 10PM the bar was empty.
When making the booking I made a point of saying that it was our joint Birthdays.Perhaps expecting a gesture or at least a mention would have been nice!
Its sad that the makings of a superb establishment are there but lacking the warmth and attention to detail that we felt was needed to warrant its star rating.Orles Barn next time.

4 Thank Julie H
RogerWynn, Owner at Wilton Court Hotel, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Thank you for your comments with regard your recent stay with us .
We appreciate you advising of the loose loo seat to which I will arrange for a new loo seat fitted this coming week. I am sorry that housekeeping had not placed a slip bathmat. These are provided for each room and we would have definitely provided one if you had let us know it was missing though I do realise that you should not have to ask. I do not understand the comment regarding the hairdryer as the plug is at the side of the dressing table. I have subsequently tested the hairdryer and it definitely reaches the socket, there is a black button on the side of the hairdryer that extends the cable.

I appreciate your comments on the food in the restaurant and so pleased that you enjoyed your meals. Apologies that you were told the reason we had classic FM was played in the bar because it took too long to record. This is not correct the reason that we only have a radio in the bar is that we do not have a licence to play cassettes only radio in the bar area .

Though we do not have bath sheets in the rooms we do have a supply that is mentioned in the guest directory advising should guests require a bath sheet to contact reception . It is though quite a co incidence that I have bath sheets on order and that from next week they will be standard in all rooms.

Lastly I would like to apologise that your birthdays were not mentioned as a note of this was written in the comments field of your booking and you should have received a birthday surprise in your room on arrival which we place in the rooms of guests that we know are celebrating birthdays or special anniversaries.

Thank you for letting us know that the food in the restaurant was superb.

I do hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back and if you do decide to return in the future please contact me directly With kind regards Helen Wynn co owner.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed for 3 nights on the 3 for 2 offer. The welcome from the front desk was lovely and we immediatly felt welcomed. The receptionist offered to carry our bags up the stairs to our room. Once shown upto our room which was on the second floor, which had lovely original beams as well as a beautiful view of the river, we were then offered a complimentory tea or coffee. The complimantory tea came with home made biscuits which i thought was lovely! The dinner and breakfast were both amazing! very tasty with very generous portion sizes- we both cleared our plates on all three courses at dinner. The presentation could not be faulted and was to die for!
we both slept very well as the bed was very comfy and we had an excellent nights sleep.
We will both certainly be returning after the wonderful experience we both had. We will be recommeding it to family and friends.

1 Thank sophie c
Oxford
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Very nice hotel with lots of character, excellent service and a comfortable bed.
We ate in the restaurant and I was unable to eat my slow cooked pork belly as it obviously hadn't been cooked slowly enough (or long enough) as the meat was very tough which was a shame as we couldn't fault anything else at all about our stay.
The waitress herself noticed I had left the majority of my main course, I told her why, and there was no further mention of it which I found disappointing.
Overall a nice hotel with nice staff, shame about not dealing with the disappointing dish I was served.

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Perfect, cannot fault it. Attention to detail is one of the main attributes a good hotel should have and the Wilton Court delivers this and more. The staff are friendly and welcoming and nothing is too much trouble, even when my wife set off the smoke alarm whilst doing her hair!!!! The hotel had a quality throughout, with a lovely clean, well appointed bedroom with a wonderful large bed. The setting of this hotel is perfect, just outside the main town, looking over the river. We had the breakfast and evening meal and my word, the food is just wonderful. A perfect two day break, our thanks to all......

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
RogerWynn, Owner at Wilton Court Hotel, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor

We really appreciate your comments that you found that Wilton Court had lots of character, excellent service and a comfortable bed .

We are of course most sorry to learn that you found the pork tough and that you found it disappointing that the staff did not deal with the disappointing dish.

On investigation I understand that after a few minutes of serving the main course the waitress checked with you that you were happy with your meal and at at that stage you had said everything was fine. I am wondering if we asked too soon and if that is the case we will review our timings when checking with guests that they are happy with their meal. I do understand that the waitress noticed that you had left most of your meal and she advised the manager on duty. I am at a loss why he did not come and offer you an alternative as this is our usual policy . I know that our manager cleared your cheese plate and asked you if everything was ok to which you replied yes but knowing you had left most of your main course it would have been more appropriate to have apologised and again we are most sorry that this did not happen.
I see that you do not live very far from us and should you decide to return to stay or for a meal please let me know so that I may personally welcome you and make amends for your disappointment . With kind regards Helen Wynn Owner